Pine Lake G&CC and Unnamed Course (WIP)

• 7 Replies

CorsairBadger

« on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
Hello everyone.

I posted on this forum a very long time ago with a course that was in progress. Sadly though I lost the course when my PS4 system died, resulting in me having to buy a new Playstation and I lost all of my files.

However, I have been tinkering around in recent weeks with some new courses, and I am designing two simultaneously in two very different styles. These are what I would like to share with you. They are both Work In Progress, however, Pine Lake is 95% completed and all I need to do is beta test it. This course will be available soon.

I'm still new(ish) to the game and designer, but think I'm getting to grips with the program now. Any advice, or tips, or any criticisms in my designs which anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to improve my designs for all of you.

My apologies for the long post. I didn't want to create two separate threads and take up space on the boards.

Pine Lake Golf and Country Club is a relatively short course and is designed similarly to the 'normal' course the average player will play in real life. You can expect to score very good scores on this course if you're a good player as it isn't overly challenging, but it can catch you out in places if you're not as good as most (like me).

Secondly. This is my unnamed course which is only about 40% completed. I wanted to share this with you all too so I can get some ideas about my attempt at an American Style golf course using inspiration from courses like Bethpage Black and Augusta. This layout will be a 36 Hole Course Complex with two courses. This course screenshoted is a Championship style course, measuring at over 7000 Yards when completed. I will also be making a Members course on the same plot of land, which can be seen from the Left of Hole Nine on the Championship Course. Once the Championship Course and Members courses are completed, I will be releasing them side-by-side.

I hope all the pictures work fine. I'm still a little unsure how to use this forum at the minute, but I will get used to it eventually. Lol.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:28:16 PM by CorsairBadger »

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:40:05 AM »
Hi.  Your courses look very good for a new designer.  I think that the most important aspects of designing are to always keep in mind.... would people actually be able to play this course and get from here to there walking or with a cart and are your shots reachable..  I've seen good courses which were either.  Also, secondly don't be afraid to take chances.... you can always go back and change them if they don't turn out how you planned.  Your second course I see that you're using the brownish heavy rough.  I think that it looks better with the more washed out colored fairway and rough.  This is a picture from the course I'm working on now using that same rupough with the more washed out fairways......
Good luck and just remember, if you get a little better with each course you're getting there.  Even the master designers here come up with some new tricks just when you think you've seen about everything.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

CorsairBadger

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
I have had a bit of tuition from a member on here, and he has helped me out with little tips and tricks and my courses look much better. I might ditch these two designs and release something else when they are finished as the quality is much better.

I've been working on a traditional links course (out and back) that's just over 6000 yards long. This is just about completed, just needs little touches here and there and then I shall post about that course in the completed section as my first official release on this forum.

I have also been working on something else but the game crashes every few minutes when trying to work on it and I've lost my temper with it as it's only doing it on this one course, the others I'm working on don't crash. Is there any reason why that might be?

rdh

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Just over 6000 will be fun for the ProTee/simulator players!  Will look forward to checking it out.

Jivesinator

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
If you're working on console the crashing is normal once a course gets to a certain amount of shadows. You could either reduce shadows by changing (does not do much but does work slightly) the lighting or try putting your TV display on "game" mode. If you're on PC... I don't know what to say.
Stupid is as stupid does. I does stupid. I is stupid.

CorsairBadger

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »
If you're working on console the crashing is normal once a course gets to a certain amount of shadows. You could either reduce shadows by changing (does not do much but does work slightly) the lighting or try putting your TV display on "game" mode. If you're on PC... I don't know what to say.

I'm on PS4. Okay, thanks. I've tried a lot of things with lighting, turning the fog/overcast off as well as making shadows as small as possible with brightest light levels but nothing seems to work with this course. I only have a few holes created, and around a quarter of the Load-Limit bar is filled. It's just baffling that it's just this one course I'm working on. (I currently have four going at once).
Just adding fairways, or any textures can make it crash. It has even crashed whilst saving a couple of times.  :-\

I shall try removing all trees and then design from there, see what happens, and then re-add them later on. See if that works. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:04:23 AM by CorsairBadger »

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:15:01 AM »
Personally, I always design with the trees turned completely off.  Then I lay out my Course and then turn them back up.  Any areas you have plotted out as play surfaces will pretty much stay the way you've laid them out with the exception of heavy rough and natural areas.  Then I turn the trees back up and it's like Christmas morning !!!!!
Then I go back around the course and delete out the trees that have popped up where I don't want them and add them where I do.  This is also the time I make changes to the fairways, greens and bunkers and do sculpting adjustments and lay down " place markers"  as I get new ideas accordingly.
After all this is complete and the course is playing nicely... THEN I start doing rockwork and planting and other finishing touches.  Also a good way to go with the end step is to work your way around the course and do a little bit at a time.  Your course will be more balanced if you run into a lot of crashing as the object meter rises.  Also,  SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.  Good luck !!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

CorsairBadger

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »
I normally remove the trees for the start. Unless there's a particular shaping of trees I like to plan around. I don't know what's going on with the course. I've removed all trees, changed lighting and done everything suggested but still crashes literally every 2 minutes. I got about a third of the way around a new fairway and then 'boom' game crashed for no apparent reason. I've given up with it at the minute with that project. I have three other courses, one is complete and will be publishing soon.

These two courses that this thread is about probably won't be published as ACES-R-WILD- has shown me how to create properly in the game and the difference between the pre-lessons and post-lessons is quite significant. Thanks to him.

I do save a lot lol. I'm like that with all games anyway, but especially with sandbox creation games.  ;D

Thank you for your advice and support in this thread. I'm still learning and hope some of you will play my releases sometime soon.  :)

space-cash