? Course Generator , trying to emulate a real course

• 12 Replies

rivib

« on: March 07, 2014, 05:54:06 AM »
Hi can you tell me how your Course Generator, emulates real courses elevations, i mentioned this earlier in another thread.
If you get the { land plot topography } including the elevation data for the plot how do you import this into the Course Generator and what format would that land plot file data have to be .
The elevation in a course like Augusta National is very hilly in parts, this elevation then also gives the game developer a problem, the elevation up hill add yards to a shot and down hill = minus yards to a shot.

morden44

• Suck It Up ButterCup
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:06 AM »
Cannot do this at this point. We cannot import DEMs into this game as of this point.

sinewiz

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »
Hi can you tell me how your Course Generator, emulates real courses elevations, i mentioned this earlier in another thread.
If you get the { land plot topography } including the elevation data for the plot how do you import this into the Course Generator and what format would that land plot file data have to be .
The elevation in a course like Augusta National is very hilly in parts, this elevation then also gives the game developer a problem, the elevation up hill add yards to a shot and down hill = minus yards to a shot.

No such luck with TGC, but it does appear that Perfect Parallel Golf will have what your looking for "if they ever see the light of day".

Nightowl

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Unless something changes, I can foresee each game developing a reputation.  TGC will be for those who prefer designing fictional courses.  PG for real courses.  The longer it takes for TGC to provide more options for designing real courses, the more cemented this reputation will become.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm wrong a lot.  ;)

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:09 PM »
Unless something changes, I can foresee each game developing a reputation.  TGC will be for those who prefer designing fictional courses.  PG for real courses.  The longer it takes for TGC to provide more options for designing real courses, the more cemented this reputation will become.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm wrong a lot.  ;)

I agree. Good news & bad news for me on this topic.
First the Bad news.
Unfortunately, I can see myself having a hard time buying into that this course someone made and called "Pine Valley" or "Quail Hollow" is really Pine Valley & Quail Hollow. It just isn't the same as a laser-mapped version that EA puts out. I can be wrong, I'd love to be wrong. But I just can't see someone taking the technology the game has and turning it into these courses into 99.9% realistic interperetations of courses.
The hole lengths/directions/placement of traps/hazards might be correct, but there will always be something hokey about it in my mind, b/c it will be a set background that HB gave us. Even if they give us sceneries without mountains, it still will be a stretch to me that "Medinah" is Medinah.

That said, the good news.
I am excited as all get out about creating/playing fictional courses. I have so many ideas in my head of courses/holes I'd like to make, take ideas from real courses/holes. Part of me thinks creating courses in this game just as fun playing, constantly tinkering with things on the courses I make. While I won't be able to make courses other golf games can, I know I'll be able to make courses I find fun to play.
I am really excited about the game and can't wait to give it a try.
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Nightowl

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
Yeah, I'm basically in agreement with you, WCW.  I'm concerned, though, even about the fictional courses.  As I said before, the thematic approach could reduce the hundreds of custom courses to slight variations on the same five themes.  As for PG, I'm not holding my breath that it'll be released in 2014.  Not at the snail's pace with which progress is made in that game.  I'm willing to be surprised, however!  :)

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
Sorry, but what's PG?

Also, I know where you're coming from with the lack of themes.
Even if there were 12 themes, there would be a fear of repetitive-looking courses.
I guess that's where we'll have to get creative!
I'm a perfectionist, so I figure it's gonna take a while to make courses, and like I said, that will be half the fun.  :)
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Nightowl

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Perfect Golf.   :D

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 05:51:36 PM »
Thanks.
Googled & saw it was for PC, which is why I didn't know.
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »
Perfect Golf.   :D

Here's a link to their forums:  http://www.perfectparallel.com/index

-MERACE

JoeF

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
Thanks.

Ah, not quite right, WCW. They are developing Perfect Golf to be platform agnostic. PC/Mac for the computer folk, PS3/Xbox/Wii/OUYA for the console folk and iOS/Andrioid for mobile devices. (They've had it running at 60fps on a 4s). The Course Forge software for building courses for the game is, I believe, computer only. Perhaps that's what you were referring to?

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:59 PM »
Thanks.

Ah, not quite right, WCW. They are developing Perfect Golf to be platform agnostic. PC/Mac for the computer folk, PS3/Xbox/Wii/OUYA for the console folk and iOS/Andrioid for mobile devices. (They've had it running at 60fps on a 4s). The Course Forge software for building courses for the game is, I believe, computer only. Perhaps that's what you were referring to?
I never heard of Perfect Golf til yesterday.
I googled Pefect Golf Video Game to see what it was, the link below came up, I figure it's PC.
If you google Pefect Golf Video Game ps3, nothing relevant comes up.
I have heard nothing of the game until yesterday, and really don't know anything about it.
http://www.gamespot.com/perfect-golf-2013/
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Dazmaniac

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »
I believe Sky Sports will be using Perfect Parallel's virtual version of Augusta National again this year (as they did last year) on their coverage of The Masters for all the hole fly-overs.

space-cash