Please click on department to view available positions
Lunenburg and Halifax.
Established engineers leading a section of development or fully competent in a particular aspect of the development.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with other Software Engineers and members of the project team
- Ensure the Technical Lead and Producer are aware of the progress of their work
- Alert the Technical Lead and Producer to any issues they have with their work or the agreed schedules
- Implement code to the required standard.
- Facilitate learning and skill growth in less experienced programmers.
- Maintain knowledge of the games industries’ practices
- Perform as lead or sole developer on a specific area of a game or in the development of a library, tool, or utility.
- Provide written documentation as required
- Maintain an internal bug list and respond to serious problems quickly
- Maintain a prioritized feature wish list for any tools they supervise
- Present technical design documents to Technical Lead, including risk assessments and estimated schedule for an engine design change or new feature
- High quality work delivered on time
- Good relationships maintained with other team members at all times
Essential Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Strong programming
- Ability to program in C++
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Passion for video games
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to work independently without heavy oversight
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Applied math skills
- Ability to provide creative input into a project
- Good communication skills
Desirable Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Ability to program in C#
- Experience in writing games
- DirectX / OpenGL/ Vulkan experience
- Windows programming experience
- Practical Unity experience
- Physics knowledge
- Bachelor of Computer Science degree (or similar)
HB Studios is Atlantic Canada’s largest and most successful independent video game developer. We have an opportunity for a Senior Producer to join our team of developers, creators and fans, who are passionate about the art and process involved in video game development.
As a Senior Producer, you will be providing organizational and creative leadership on video game development from initial design through to code release by managing projects to schedule and budget.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Produce one franchise of one or more SKUs.
- Develop product vision and design with key stakeholders and champion that vision on the team.
- Ensure the highest possible product quality.
- Work with the Senior Management Group (SMG) and CEO to evaluate and ensure that appropriate resources and personnel are assigned to each project.
- Communicate risks, expectations and success criteria to key stakeholders.
- Proactively anticipate and adjust for problems and roadblocks.
- Enforce and help educate staff on HB Studios policies and procedures.
- Change agent for process improvements; contribute to the ongoing improvement of project processes to achieve efficiencies.
- Identify, lead, and develop economically viable video or computer game concepts; lead on market trends, patterns and customer requirements worldwide.
- Oversee project documentation, testing and QA processes.
- Work with internal staff and direct reports to train and develop their skills; mentor Associate/Junior Producers, Product Managers.
- Co-ordinate with external partners, contractors and licensors.
- Assist in the management, tracking and approvals of licensed assets.
- Develop publisher relationships through effective communication and personal skills.
- Think outside the box in a challenging and dynamic environment; be a source of creative and innovative solutions.
Work closely with the Executive Producer/CEO and the other SMG members to:
- Ensure each product’s commercial success.
- Understand, refine, maintain and disseminate the product vision.
- Identify and resolve conflicts between schedule, budget and design goals.
- Drive communication.
- Provide effective coordination of staff.
- Ensure adequate, efficient and effective project staffing and resolve staffing conflicts across the studio.
- High quality projects are delivered on time and within budget.
- Good relationships are maintained at all times.
- High morale is maintained within the team.
Essential Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Bachelor’s level degree or equivalent / related experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a project management / Producer role.
- Good understanding of multimedia and software tools.
- Proficiency in project management software (JIRA, etc.).
- Excellent organizational and communication (both verbal & written) skills.
- A proven ability to multi-task, make decisions and solve problems efficiently and effectively.
- Self-motivated and avid game player.
- Able and willing to work additional hours as necessary to successfully complete tasks.
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team/department performance.
- A dedicated work ethic and commitment to excellence.
- A solid understanding of game theory and related technology.
- A solid understanding of all aspects of the game development life cycle and design process – from concept to delivery.
- Ability to handle multiple demands on themselves and the project; have a strong ability to maintain professionalism with climate changes, and display finesse when working under adverse conditions.
- Must be able to distinguish between low and high priority items, concentrating on areas yielding the greatest return, and demonstrate appropriate judgment in determining what requires a “sense of urgency”.
- Must be flexible, receptive and open to change, and act decisively.
- Must be willing and able to travel (internationally) for work, where working on weekends or for longer hours may also be required.
There are no available art jobs at this time. Feel free to send us your resumé!
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
HB Studios is Atlantic Canada’s largest and most successful independent video game developer. We have an opportunity for a Senior Game Designer to join our team of developers, creators and fans, who are passionate about the art and process involved in video game development. As a Senior Game Designer, you will be responsible for all aspects of game design; from concept – through production to release, all while ensuring the quality of the game and its gameplay are of the highest standards.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Work and communicate directly with all members of the game team on a regular basis to develop the game and its design throughout production, while remaining in-line with required timelines
- Write and maintain living design documents for use by design, production, development, and QA staff.
- Hands-on work during production including play-testing, tuning, data-entry, content creation, and some scripting.
- Ensure all delivered versions of assigned games are thoroughly play-tested with a design-critical approach and report all issues and required changes.
- Identify and help to prioritize any issues in assigned games in conjunction with production and other team leads.
- Identify and report any aspects of the assigned game, its design, or its development process, which may compromise its final quality or overall success.
- Develop—or contribute to—new concepts and game pitches for the studio as required.
- Play—and contribute feedback for—all games currently in development or prototyping.
- Contribute to the studio’s growing philosophy of game design, and how we make games.
- Creative Director
- Producer / Associate Producer of assigned game
- QA Team Leader of assigned game
- Other Designers
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- 4+ years’ experience in the games industry
- Basic scripting experience (C#, XML / JSON, VBA)
- Fluency with Microsoft Excel
- Experience with the Unity game engine
- Degree (any subject)—or alternatively—games industry experience
- Technical knowledge of the videogame development process
- An avid player of both PC and console games
- Deep interest and knowledge in one or more mainstream sports.
The ideal candidate is a creative individual with a passion for game design and willingness to research and learn about assigned games – especially sports. A proven ability to breakdown game issues, mechanics or concepts into lay terms and argue and negotiate their case on game-specific issues in a constructive manner. A detail-oriented person who works well with others and considers all forms of feedback. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply today.