Looking for designed course feedback please.

• 15 Replies

Jaywan85

« on: June 24, 2018, 01:52:24 PM »
I’ve been working on my latest course for a couple of hours a night for the last four months and finally published yesterday. Would anyone be willing to try it for me and give me any feedback ready for my next one? I’m really pleased with it but I have made a few mistakes and is it too unrealistic? Too short? Greens easy/hard enough. Anything you think can help me improve would be much appreciated. It’s called: The J Club. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaywan85

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Happy to do some swaps, name your courses and I’ll give them a go.

LinksLover

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 09:04:57 AM »
Angus Bay International G. C.

I can't guarantee how quickly I will play The J Club though.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2 & 2019 port)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Icyken

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »
 Good variety of holes some easy others
 not so easy, enjoyable   :)

If you play any of mine you might
 never be the same again.   :o
TOUR                MEMBERS+
Machrihan Dunes        
The Celtic isles +         
Craigendoran Links  +
Prestwick  Scotland  +   
Helensburgh  GC +      
Ayrshire Gailes   +
Rosemount  Scotland
St Nicholas  Prestwick +

Jaywan85

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:35:40 AM »
Good variety of holes some easy others
 not so easy, enjoyable   :)

If you play any of mine you might
 never be the same again.   :o
Thanks. I love TGC, especially course designing. I haven’t really been active in the community, but I thought it would be rude to ask people to try my course and to not get involved properly, so I joined my first society last night and played my first society event. It seems as though the courses that are used for society events are a lot harder than mine? Maybe I put a little too much time into the aesthetics than course management? Also I designed my course for standard clubs so maybe it’s a little short and the greens a little flat? I really do appreciate the feedback.

Jaywan85

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »
Angus Bay International G. C.

I can't guarantee how quickly I will play The J Club though.
No worries bud, I’d be happy to give your course ago, I’ll try it tonight after work.

LinksLover

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »
Hello Jay.

I managed to squeeze a quick round at The J Club last night. I will admit to not fully concentrating on my game as I was texting my wife at the same time, though I did pay much closer attention to your design.

Firstly you have some very good ideas in your hole designs (though implementation needs improving - see my later points). It's clear you put considerable effort into making the course and that is always a good starting point. Even if your skills are limited in the beginning, put in the effort and they will soon improve if you take on board constructive feedback that people give you.

Here are some notes I made in somewhat of a random order - some while I played, some when I finished.

Your bunkers on the whole are poor. The sculpting needs a lot of work and sometimes they cross three cuts of grass (fairway, rough and heavy with the game adding in the rough border when it touches the fairway). This is a problem I had on my first course Clayton Wood. Pablo and Bradley at TGCTours pointed it out to me, I watched some bunker sculpting videos on YouTube and my bunkers are much improved at Angus Bay International G. C.
Also, some placement of bunkers were odd - in places nobody would be near hitting them - and a significant number were huge and a significant number small. It's good to have variation... but with a consistant core.
Look for a bunker sculpting video on YouTube.

There was 'burn' around the 12th green. This is essentially bare ground the game occasionally generates after brushing green or fairway. It's a common mistake for beginners to miss this. Carefully check your holes for this after design and during play testing.

The 13th - the par 3 with the island green - was a tremendous hole. One of the best I've played. There were also other water features that saw a lot of effort and looked great - one water body with lots of reeds and lillies springs to mind.

You had only created one tee and one pin set for the course. This will seriously limit replayability as every time a user plays, it will be the same course save any wind changes.

A number of greens on the back nine were very flat - 13, 14, 16 and 17 and made putting very easy.
I saw on another thread somebody comment about severe slopes on greens. You had some and this is absolutely fine. They add strategy to the hole. Just make sure you don't put the hole on any of them.

I thought you used the theme very well in your course design. A couple of holes looked strange at first glance but when I looked at them in more detail they made sense and were well thought out. There was a right angled dog leg left with a tree/rough/bunker combo island in the middle of the fairway at the dog leg. That is a prime example of what I mean though the island needed implementing a lot better, particularly the sculpting.
That said, I thought the 9th hole with the ribbons of bunkers crossing the fairway was dreadful. I hated that hole.

Some paths were in odd places. There was one on the 16th and 17th holes that touched the fairway (and I don't mean the crossing on the 16th, it was further up the hole).

Overall you have some really creative ideas and certainly show a lot of potential to be able to design some quality courses, ones that would be approved at TGC Tours. There are a number of YouTube videos by CrazyCanuck, Tastegw, Doyle, Scampi and Scarpacci. If you can invest the time and watch some videos, you will pick up some great tips in how to improve your implementation of your ideas.

Edit: I play with the mid range Player clubs, so hit greater distance than your play with the standard clubs. Learn the distances for the longer clubs and incorporate this into your designs so the skilled players don't find it too easy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:45:18 AM by LinksLover »
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Jaywan85

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
Hello Jay.

I managed to squeeze a quick round at The J Club last night. I will admit to not fully concentrating on my game as I was texting my wife at the same time, though I did pay much closer attention to your design.

Firstly you have some very good ideas in your hole designs (though implementation needs improving - see my later points). It's clear you put considerable effort into making the course and that is always a good starting point. Even if your skills are limited in the beginning, put in the effort and they will soon improve if you take on board constructive feedback that people give you.

Here are some notes I made in somewhat of a random order - some while I played, some when I finished.

Your bunkers on the whole are poor. The sculpting needs a lot of work and sometimes they cross three cuts of grass (fairway, rough and heavy with the game adding in the rough border when it touches the fairway). This is a problem I had on my first course Clayton Wood. Pablo and Bradley at TGCTours pointed it out to me, I watched some bunker sculpting videos on YouTube and my bunkers are much improved at Angus Bay International G. C.
Also, some placement of bunkers were odd - in places nobody would be near hitting them - and a significant number were huge and a significant number small. It's good to have variation... but with a consistant core.
Look for a bunker sculpting video on YouTube.

There was 'burn' around the 12th green. This is essentially bare ground the game occasionally generates after brushing green or fairway. It's a common mistake for beginners to miss this. Carefully check your holes for this after design and during play testing.

The 13th - the par 3 with the island green - was a tremendous hole. One of the best I've placed. There were also other water features that saw a lot of effort and looked great - one water body with lots of reeds and lillies springs to mind.

You had only created one tee and one pin set for the course. This will seriously limit replayability as every time a user plays, it will be the same course save any wind changes.

A number of greens on the back nine were very flat - 13, 14, 16 and 17 and made putting very easy.
I saw on another thread somebody comment about severe slopes on greens. You had some and this is absolutely fine. They add strategy to the hole. Just make sure you don't put the hole on any of them.

I thought you used the theme very well in your course design. A couple of holes looked strange at first glance but when I looked at them in more detail they made sense and were well thought out. There was a right angled dog leg left with a tree/rough/bunker combo island in the middle of the fairway at the dog leg. That is a prime example though the island needed implementing a lot better, particularly the sculpting.
That said, I thought the 9th hole with the ribbons of bunkers crossing the fairway was dreadful. I hated that hole.

Some paths were in odd places. There was one on the 16th and 17th holes that touched the fairway (and I don't mean the crossing on the 16th, it was further up the hole).

Overall you have some really creative ideas and certainly show a lot of potential to be able to design some quality courses, ones that would be approved at TGC Tours. There are a number of YouTube videos by CrazyCanuck, Tastegw, Doyle, Scampi and Scarpacci. If you can invest the time and watch some videos, you will pick up some great tips in how to improve your implementation of your ideas.

Edit: I play with the mid range Player clubs, so hit greater distance than your play with the standard clubs. Learn the distances for the longer clubs and incorporate this into your designs so the skilled players don't find it too easy.
Thank you so much for this, this is amazing feedback and literally half way through reading it inspired me to start another course. I really appreciate you taking the time to get back to me in this and I hope I can incorporate what you have said on my next build. Thanks Linkslover.

LinksLover

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
A pleasure Jay. I'm glad I could help. I wish I had the time to do it more often for more people.

Have you played Angus Bay International G. C. yet? I think that will be one tough challenge if you used standard clubs. It was designed with TGC Tours in mind, therefore set up to be a tough challenge with plenty to think about.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Jaywan85

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
A pleasure Jay. I'm glad I could help. I wish I had the time to do it more often for more people.

Have you played Angus Bay International G. C. yet? I think that will be one tough challenge if you used standard clubs. It was designed with TGC Tours in mind, therefore set up to be a tough challenge with plenty to think about.
I haven’t I don’t think. I got TGC release day and loved it, same with TGC2 but my main enjoyment came from course creation and couch co-op. The problem with this is it didn’t give me a chance to play many courses and learn from them. Now I’ve joined a society and have played a few events I immediately have some major ideas on how I can improve. Receiving advice and feedback from other creators and players is really helping as well. I’ll give Angus a play and I’m going to watch those YouTube vids today as well while I’m off work sick. My next build might take a while but would you be up for giving it a play for me when I’m done?

LinksLover

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »
Sure, let me know when it is done.

I wish I could take time off sick to play TGC. We only get SSP at my work and I have a mortgage to pay so can't do it by choice. :D
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

slick60

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
Jaywan I was about to play your course after starting to read this thread. I too am a new designer and my first is Wardsville Golf Club and Wardsville's Theodore 9 hole. I am disappointed because I cannot find your course - the J Club. I searched it and NO RESULTS several ways was my response. I sat in front on my PS4 for about 25 minutes going through All Courses 8 at a time for a couple hundred. Gave up. Great idea to play  each other's courses and look for opinions. Maybe someone can tell me how to find courses. This is still so foreighn to me.
Thanks a lot

slick60
Courses:
Devil's Pulpit RCR
Deerhurst Highlands GCRCR
Wardsville Falls G.C.
The Links of Beckon Ridge
Wardsville Golf Club
Wardsvile's Theodore 9 hole

LinksLover

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 08:35:22 AM »
I'm not at home but off memory, you press L3 to bring up a search filter. From there you can use the in game key pad to search by course name among others. I typed in The J Club and it was first on the list that came up.
The search course function does need a lot of improvements.

I have made a note of Wardsville and will play it when I get chance to.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

slick60

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 07:32:03 PM »
Thanks LinksLover I went in again to do the search and saw that the Sub Filter had been set to 9. Made it 18 and the course popped right up. Would appreciate any feedback on my Wardsville courses.

slick60
Courses:
Devil's Pulpit RCR
Deerhurst Highlands GCRCR
Wardsville Falls G.C.
The Links of Beckon Ridge
Wardsville Golf Club
Wardsvile's Theodore 9 hole

LostSoulsForeva

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
just created a new course called TGC West Ryder Course, you can also find the video on youtude under the same name..

space-cash