Approach Shot Tutorial

• 18 Replies

Doyley

• GroupMember
« on: May 18, 2014, 12:04:30 AM »
I'll go over my thought process for an approach shot so that others that are struggling can have an idea of the steps to calculate before swinging the club.  If you're a casual golfer that just likes to grip it and rip it you might want to stop reading now! 

Scenario A
Shot:  160 yards, 22 feet downhill, 4 mph wind in our face

Steps:
1.  Take the 22 feet downhill and divide by 2 then subtract that from your yards (160-11=149)
2.  Double the wind and then add that since it's in our face (148+8=156)
3.  Find a club with a carry closest to 156yds (being over is better) then add enough loft to get as close to 156 as you think
4.  swing away

Scenario B
Shot:  195 yards, no uphill/downhilll, 8 mph cross wind left to right

Steps:
1.  You'll need a 4i for the shot which has approx 7-10 yards of run after the carry (depending on what surface you land on)
2.  For every 1mph of cross wind I aim one 'click' over - so move 8 to the left
3.  Set enough loft for approx 185 yards
4.  swing away

Scenario C
Shot:  80 yards, 45 feet uphill, 4 mph at your back

Steps:
1.  I find with large uphill shots it's good to divide by 3 (45/3=15+80=95 yds)
2.  95-8 (for wind) = 83 yards
3.  Grab your 100yd PW and guestimate 83 yards of loft
4.  swing away

Optional Steps
  • If you're playing a shot over water add a yard or two to make sure you clear it
  • zoom up to the green and look at the slopes and factor that into your shot - your ball is going to roll so you might as know where it's going to roll and play for it
  • slopes matter:  if you're hitting from an uphill slope your shot will go higher and shorter, downhill=lower/further, ball lower than stance=shot will push left, ball higher than stance=shot will pull right...use that knowledge to adjust your aim
  • practice draw/fade - if there's a 7mph crosswind the first bar left/right of center on your loft will cancel it out and your drive will go fairly straight...half that for 4 mph crosswind
  • those calculations are not set in stone for all clubs - be flexible and experiment if you find it's not working for you
Chipping
These numbers are off the top of my head - might be slightly inaccurate
Practice chipping with a LW (approx 6 yds), SW (9 yds), PW (13 yds), 9i (18 yds) - no point trying to hit a 9i 6 yards when a full LW chip will do
Dialing it in with a pitch LW is tough to do now since you can't see the yardage adjustments (yay!) - puts the focus back on chipping

If anyone has any other tips feel free to post away!

coruler2

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:40 AM »
All of these play about the way I play them as well.  Good post.  A lot of it is common sense to the average golfer, but your calculations are pretty tight to how I calculate mine.

TGC 2019 Courses:
Negev Valley (TGC2 Port of Israeli National)
The Invaders Golf Site (TGC2019 Original)
Sun Devil Ridge (TGC2 Course remastered)
Connemara Bay Golf Club (TGC2019 Original)
The Legend at Kong Island
*New* Pulseczar Vale

Steam and XB1 name:  coruler2

theclv24

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 02:31:10 AM »
I was under the impression, not from observation but from word of mouth, that uphill and downhill lies did not impact the shot. Have you observed a difference in an uphill or downhill lie?

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 02:55:27 AM »
I was under the impression, not from observation but from word of mouth, that uphill and downhill lies did not impact the shot. Have you observed a difference in an uphill or downhill lie?

It's tough to gauge - but I've found on some severe downhill lies it comes out a bit hotter and rolls more. Maybe it's just me, not sure - but if the rules of golf are followed it's something to keep in the back of your mind.  I usually don't factor it in unless it's a pretty severe slope.

NevadaBallin

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 03:21:14 AM »
I'm big on using the draw/fade to counter the cross winds (and for wrapping around doglegs of course). I rarely move the target left or right to adjust for wind.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

Hawk Eye

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
Thanks for this ? but as they say when I went to school 22 feet = 7 yards and 1 foot, ? not
Steps:
1.  Take the 22 feet downhill and divide by 2 then subtract that from your yards (160-11=149)

? is this game different from others, my calculations in other golf games for that would be (160 - 7 = 153)

sundar

• Sundarworld - The Golf Club - Gameplay
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 05:37:08 AM »
Thanks for this ? but as they say when I went to school 22 feet = 7 yards and 1 foot, ? not
Steps:

? is this game different from others, my calculations in other golf games for that would be (160 - 7 = 153)

If you think of the ball trajectory, you'll see that uphill takes more of the length off a shot, roughly a yard for every 3 feet (depends on the club/shot type), but at the tail end of a ball's flight it is travelling ever more downward, so hitting downhill it tends to be closer to 2 feet (i think technically somewhere between 2 and 3)

Mick_DOA

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 12:12:22 PM »
Very good post with good advice.
 After playing a round this morning with all this "new knowledge"  I was 8-10 shots better!
I really like the patch for dealing with the yardage on approach shots.  Getting the exact number like it was before was so unrealistic compared to this now.  It is much more like playing the real thing.  Some of the early posters who went ballistic over this probably didn't understand  adding and decreasing loft to the club. it is sort of like choking down on the shaft or hooding the face to de-loft the face. I think it's a winner.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »
Very good post with good advice.
 After playing a round this morning with all this "new knowledge"  I was 8-10 shots better!
I really like the patch for dealing with the yardage on approach shots.  Getting the exact number like it was before was so unrealistic compared to this now.  It is much more like playing the real thing.  Some of the early posters who went ballistic over this probably didn't understand  adding and decreasing loft to the club. it is sort of like choking down on the shaft or hooding the face to de-loft the face. I think it's a winner.

Nice to hear Mick! 

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:37:23 PM »
Good post there, Doyley.

Just one little remark: When you talk about uphill and downhill you meen higher or lower target.
Up- and Downhill slopes at the balls spot seem to be not yet implemented. Looks like everthing is played off flat terain (appart from sidehills).
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

NevadaBallin

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:54 PM »
All this is fine by me (dial a distance has gone) BUT you haven't realy taken dial a distance away all that's happened is you can't see it, when HBS have stooped messing with the swing  the GOOD guys will spend time working out the grid for the "dial a distance" and the poor guys who just want to play a few hours a week will be stuck hacking the ball around is that a good thing? i don't think so.

I would expect those who put more time into the specifics of the gameplay to be better than those who don't. No different than a golfer who does his homework with his caddy and a caddy book versus someone who goes out and just hacks away.

No matter what is done in a video golf game, the good players will take the time to figure it out, regardless of what "it" is.

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 07:49:26 PM »
All this is fine by me (dial a distance has gone) BUT you haven't realy taken dial a distance away all that's happened is you can't see it, when HBS have stooped messing with the swing  the GOOD guys will spend time working out the grid for the "dial a distance" and the poor guys who just want to play a few hours a week will be stuck hacking the ball around is that a good thing? i don't think so.

I would expect those who put more time into the specifics of the gameplay to be better than those who don't. No different than a golfer who does his homework with his caddy and a caddy book versus someone who goes out and just hacks away.

No matter what is done in a video golf game, the good players will take the time to figure it out, regardless of what "it" is.

Yes i know that but i thought one of HBS big thoughts was something like "your granddad should be able to play" yes he would be able to play but he would be rubbish at it NOW but with build 0.41 HE COULD HAVE BEEN AS GOOD AS ME. if you guys are serious about taking out "dial a distance" then take the grid out too. if NOT put it back the way it was so EVERYONE can play on an even playing field.

We're not playing v4.1 ............ and we're not going back to it either if i have anything to say about it (which I don't lol)

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

Hawk Eye

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 03:26:27 PM »

Yes i know that but i thought one of HBS big thoughts was something like "your granddad should be able to play" yes he would be able to play but he would be rubbish at it NOW but with build 0.41 HE COULD HAVE BEEN AS GOOD AS ME. if you guys are serious about taking out "dial a distance" then take the grid out too. if NOT put it back the way it was so EVERYONE can play on an even playing field.

We're not playing v4.1 ............ and we're not going back to it either if i have anything to say about it (which I don't lol)

0.50 was spot on with the 10yd "dial a distance" for the guys who want it, I think they may have gone 1 step too far with taking the 10yd "dial a distance" away?
Yup spot on , for me they have scored an own goal here, this none display of yardages is ok for some of the hardcore on PC, but what when the Console version comes out, people i`am sure would prefer the previous version , it will have no appeal to the {average want fun console gamer }
as it was before who cares if some one shoots a - 19 ,its the same for all and thats good playing , full stop !
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:31:12 PM by Hawk Eye »

ralphieboy72

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
HB has already said it might not stay the way it is now.  Probably some form of compromise, but I think it is perfectly fine at the moment.   The 10 yard thing in .50 was just throwing people off.   You could change your 7 iron from default 158 to 157 and the display would read 148.  Not good.  I agree it was the right decision to remove that.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »
HB has already said it might not stay the way it is now.  Probably some form of compromise, but I think it is perfectly fine at the moment.   The 10 yard thing in .50 was just throwing people off.   You could change your 7 iron from default 158 to 157 and the display would read 148.  Not good.  I agree it was the right decision to remove that.

OK BUT PUT IT BACK TO 0.41 THEN?.

Not going to happen.  There has been a great deal of positive response to the changes. 

How about this.  What if the dial-a-distance was never displayed in this game from the start?  What if you never even had the option to dial-a-distance at all?  Would you be missing it then?

space-cash