HB Please read/respond. Ball squirt worse than ever after PC patch.

• 46 Replies

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:47 PM »
Greetings,

To this day I am not aware of HB ever acknowledging that Ball Squirt is either:
1. a Bug
2. an intended part of the game that is designed to effect everyone on all platforms.

When TGC first came out I truly thought it was a bug.  People in the community at first thought I was crazy and/or there was something wrong with my computer or game.  Slowly people realized that what I said was an issue.  The posts I originally posted on this subject was initially met with skepticism by HB.  Some folks saying that it had to be a non-level lie (even though it happened while on a tee box with a tee).  I was told then that the tee box must be non-level.  I even went so far to test this as creating a course with level lies on tees, fairways and zero undulations and it still persisted.   There was no pattern to this and it was completely random.   After posting on this I asked if it was different between platforms as there were folks on other platforms claiming they had no issues.  HB came back saying that all platforms were equal in this manner, so it was at this point I felt that HB knew of the situation and it was an intended feature of the game to add some "randomness".

To this day, I have tried to find some sort of pattern.  Did it have anything to do with the backswing?  Did it have anything to do with using fade/draw?  Did it have something to do with the controller vs mouse?  Did it have something to do with the internet connection.  Regardless of what I have tried I have yet to find any rhyme or reason for it and it truly seems to be random.  Honestly if this is the case and it is setup to be random I can deal with this so long as IF and I say IF it is equal across all platforms. 

The reason I'm posting this again is to plead with HB to give me (us) some sort of definitive response on this so I can maybe stop trying from figuring out if there is  some sort of pattern.  Since the last patch on PC, tho, it seems to have gotten more severe and even more random, which is making it increasingly unfair to PC users. I can accept this in the short term as that is the nature of patches, but I would ask HB the following:

1. Is ball squirt an intended feature of TGC and it is designed to provide randomness in the game AND that HB will strive to make it equal across all platforms?
2. If ball squirt is not an intended feature, is this on the list of future bug fixes?
3. If ball squirt is intended, can HB confirm whether something like a players back swing has any influence on it?
4. Is there anything else that players should know about this feature that would make it more predictable or something we can work on within our own skill set to minimize?

In the end I'm just looking for some answers.  I love TGC, but this is an issue that has been increasing in severity progressively throughout the last few months.  I, and others, practice this game diligently to try and be as good as we can, just like in real golf.  In real golf if there is something in our swing that effects the ball we can work on to correct it.  While there is a bit of randomness in real golf, this can be minimized through practice and this ball squirt has progressively gotten worse as my own game has gotten better and to me that seems a bit unrealistic.

Finally there is no shame for HB to simply say it is a random part of the game and players should learn to deal with it.  That is fine and I'm fine with that, IF that is the response, but so far after multiple posts I have yet to receive that type of response.

Thank you for your attention and I eagerly await your response.

Regards,
Brighttail
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:33:28 PM by Brighttail »

wirenut48

• Retired Electrician IBEW Local 48
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:10:28 AM »
It's the backswing! The position of the backswing in relationship to 6:00 sets the swing path. This is what makes it appear as if it starts offline. The relationship to 12:00 on the follow thru sets the amount of curve on the ball. It's that simple, there's no hidden randomness or glitch.

After the patch there is now an option in game play that reverses the swing path (6:00 position). This may be why it appears to be different to you now.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:26:56 AM by wirenut48 »
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:21:15 AM »
Wasn't aware of the new option, what does it do exactly?
"We don't see that on our end"

wirenut48

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:30:21 AM »
Changes the swing path, so and inside out produces a draw instead of a push and visa versa. This was talked about months ago and finally made it in.
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING MB, i7-7820X 3.6/4.5GHz 8-Core, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX4M2B2400C10), NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe w/Western Digital 2TB (WD2000F9YZ), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive, 850w PS, W10

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:27 AM »
Have been trying to experiment with off center take backs on the PS4 but have not managed to make any conclusive findings. Maybe I'm just taking it back to straight. Also find its really hard to return to a 12 o'clock finish after taking it back off center.

If it works like you say it would be a quite logical implementation - even though the effect should be a bit more severe (straight zone smaller) to promote the simulation IMO. On the other hand - if it does work that way why has there been no acknowledgement of it from HB through countless threads?

If back is path and forward is face then a 19:00 ->13:00 should produce a push? Or a push-slice? 19:00-12:00 a push-draw?

Anquila1978

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 06:02:59 AM »
Rapidly losing the will with game, there's is a randomness to the severity of error.

Then theres the wind gust that that only seem to appear when a good shot is exectuted to throw the ball away from the hole or to just catch that awkward slope and when it wants to mess with you then disappears and then you are in trouble

http://youtu.be/uoXg68Rv83A

I don't get how that small deviance from straight line caused the ball to shoot off 3-5 degrees left and then the wind had zero effect, felt pre-determined.

It really does feel at times that on the main menu a message should come up                                'don't play the game going to screw you'
Other Courses

Turnberry Kintyre Course
Gladstonevale G.C
Belgrave Black at Balmeadie

SweetTeeBag

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:31:59 AM »
Rapidly losing the will with game, there's is a randomness to the severity of error.

Then theres the wind gust that that only seem to appear when a good shot is exectuted to throw the ball away from the hole or to just catch that awkward slope and when it wants to mess with you then disappears and then you are in trouble

I don't get how that small deviance from straight line caused the ball to shoot off 3-5 degrees left and then the wind had zero effect, felt pre-determined.

It really does feel at times that on the main menu a message should come up  'don't play the game going to screw you'

WOW! There is no way that should have happened. That's all I can say.  How do we know though the tee box wasn't level?

If not, we really don't need to worry about cart paths and other minor additions when there are real issues like this which need to be addressed.

Really surprised there is no comments from HB on this as it has been an ongoing issue.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »
With respect to back swing, I have heard HB give a couple of unofficial posts. One said they were working with back swing and the other said back swing had no effect on a shot at all.   If back swing can effect a swing, then all I can say is why don't we have an indicator to show it relative to 6 o'clock so we can "shape shots"?   Honestly i'm skeptical about the back swing because we can already "shape shots" without needing to swing an "inside out swing"

Also ball squirt does not make a ball "hook or fade"  Ball squirt makes the ball start off on a random direction when it leaves the face of the club somewhere between 1-5 degrees before the dynamics of the shot (wind or hook/fade) begin to take effect.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
watched the video. the tip of the swing meter DOES show the swing going to the left at the very end (the ball is left of center). Also a headwind of 6 at that angle isn't going to do much of anything to the ball.

The aiming circle looked like it was just right of the treetrunk when you hit and you hit the left edge of the trunk. That's pretty minimal. I also noticed the ball DID move slightly to the right.

I don't see anything major with that particular video. Have I seen "ball squirt"? Yep. But that one looks like it did what it should have. Maybe SLIGHTLY too much of a start to the left...but not that bad.

One thing I have noticed is that if the END of the swing meter/line is where the movement happens it is more pronounced. In other words if the line moves slightly left in the middle then is straight up the rest of the way it's not as bas as if it's straight and then goes left at the tip. Does that make sense?

Not poo-pooing your issue...just saying there WAS deviance and a light wind from an angle AND that movement at the END is generally worse than early movement from center in the swing.

Anyone else notice that part?
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:50:15 PM »
Not sure why you put Lorin in the title as he's no longer with the company.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Not sure why you put Lorin in the title as he's no longer with the company.

Fixed, I see you didn't have much issue with ball squirt in your round at Epson.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:56:37 PM »
It's the backswing! The position of the backswing in relationship to 6:00 sets the swing path. This is what makes it appear as if it starts offline. The relationship to 12:00 on the follow thru sets the amount of curve on the ball. It's that simple, there's no hidden randomness or glitch.

After the patch there is now an option in game play that reverses the swing path (6:00 position). This may be why it appears to be different to you now.

I believe your premise is false.  There is an item called angle snapping that people can use on PC mice that will give them a 100% straight swing. It works by taking any angle deviation from 1-10 degrees and making it straight.  I have tested ball squirt with this feature on.  My swing would be 100% straight front and back and yet there is still ball squirt.  It isn't the back swing in my opinion.

wirenut48

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 08:12:14 PM »
The backswing is one of the things that can cause deviation to the swing that a lot of people are not aware of, but it's not the only one. Slope and wind can make the ball come immediately off the club head at an angle too. This is where I feel they could use some physic tweaks as the ball should travel straighter at impact before the wind should take effect.
PSN/Steam Wirenut48

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 10:12:41 PM »
The backswing is one of the things that can cause deviation to the swing that a lot of people are not aware of, but it's not the only one. Slope and wind can make the ball come immediately off the club head at an angle too. This is where I feel they could use some physic tweaks as the ball should travel straighter at impact before the wind should take effect.

Slope and wine has been removed in testing. And Brighttail is correct something seems fishy. I would relly like it to be a combination of path going back and tempo - but have seen no evidence of this having any effect.

Brighttail - how does the angle snap function work? If you start back 2 degrees off it will just keep you on that 2 degees taking away any further deviation? or does it snap to increments, so you can only pull back at 0 deg or 10 deg etc? If the first it should actually increase the squirting.

Pubknight

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 10:13:14 AM »

Not trying to be contrary, but what is wrong with this shot?
The way I look at it, it's an aiming reticle... not a crosshair... any shot within the aiming reticle is fair game.
If you watch that video very closely the ball starts out exactly at the left boundary of the aiming reticle (use the top of the tree for reference), and then with a slightly left of center swing path, it goes a little further left.

And that's with no backswing info to go on.

If that result happened to me, my first reaction wouldn't be 'ball squirt', it would be 'Hrm, I must have brought the backswing back a little outside'.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:32:05 AM by Pubknight »

space-cash