HB Please read/respond. Ball squirt worse than ever after PC patch.

• 46 Replies

Pubknight

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 09:45:16 AM »
If you aim a shot so a portion of the reticule is overlapping with a tree... I don't think it's surprising if you hit said tree.
Your shot didn't go left of the reticule... it was within the reticule... yes, on the left hand side of it... but still within it.

Let me ask this... how much of the tree inside the reticule would make sense before it was acceptable that you hit it?
Because in that gif I see tree in about 25% of your aiming spot.

Pub, if you cannot see/understand what I'm saying about squirt, then there is nothing else I can say that will persuade you.  Brionne, Bradley and others have all noticed it getting progressively worse and we all experience it. If you don't then kudos to you.  If you experience and want to say it is in relation to the aiming area, fine. I am STILL waiting for HB to confirm/deny this so we can find out once and for all.  What part of this don't you understand?

I wasn't replying to you... thought it was pretty clear the post you quoted was my response to Anquila's post above it.

And I understand exactly all parts of it, thank you very much.

I just find it baffling that the players you mention are amongst the lowest scorers in the game, and are complaining about how 'chronic' this ball squirt issue is.
How big an issue can it really be?

My intention and participation in this thread was not to argue the existence or non-existence of ball squirt.
It was specifically to point out that in the example Anquila posted, I thought the outcome was not suspect at all, but was completely reasonable.

He doesn't feel that way, and that's fine.
I'm looking at the animated gif and see where his ball flight went as completely understandable.
He doesn't.
That's cool... we disagree.

But I do think people have a tendency to cry 'ball squirt' a bit too quickly.
I have played as many rounds as anyone out there... on both pc and ps4, and I have never had a shot result that I couldn't make sense of if I stepped back from it for a second and looked at it logically.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:23:26 AM by Pubknight »

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:15 AM »
[quote But I do think people have a tendency to cry 'ball squirt' a bit too quickly.
I have played as many rounds as anyone out there... on both pc and ps4, and I have never had a shot result that I couldn't make sense of if I stepped back from it for a second and looked at it logically.
[/quote]

You are most fortunate then.

As for the ball leaving immediately in a direction from the previous poster, yes, that is squirt.  Don't even get me started on it happening while putting. LOL.

Pubknight

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
Regarding the 'have never seen an official post from HB regarding backswing and direction.':
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=9139.msg96140#msg96140

Lorin uses the phrase "trajectory" where he clearly meant direction (emphasis is mine).
Note that the 'we will be adding a toggle' is now a feature in the game, that you can change in settings.
Hope that is official enough.

Hey rabid - yes 100% is 100%.  Obviously, things like wind and elevation and swing path will effect your final distance.

And yes the direction of the backswing does effect trajectory. Currently a left to right swing sends the ball right and a right to left sends the ball left.  We will, however, be adding a toggle so that can be switched so that folks who want a more realistic representation of a real golf-swing can set it so an in-to-out analog stick swing path will result in a draw and out-to-in will result in a fade.  I think (but am not promising) that will be in the update in a few weeks.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Regarding the 'have never seen an official post from HB regarding backswing and direction.':
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=9139.msg96140#msg96140

Lorin uses the phrase "trajectory" where he clearly meant direction (emphasis is mine).
Note that the 'we will be adding a toggle' is now a feature in the game, that you can change in settings.
Hope that is official enough.

Hey rabid - yes 100% is 100%.  Obviously, things like wind and elevation and swing path will effect your final distance.

And yes the direction of the backswing does effect trajectory. Currently a left to right swing sends the ball right and a right to left sends the ball left.  We will, however, be adding a toggle so that can be switched so that folks who want a more realistic representation of a real golf-swing can set it so an in-to-out analog stick swing path will result in a draw and out-to-in will result in a fade.  I think (but am not promising) that will be in the update in a few weeks.

Thank you, but this still doesn't answer that when you have angle snapping on, there is still squirt outside the aiming recticule as you call it.  I suspect tho after all this time, it is as I and others in this thread have eluded (including yourself) that it is a randomness built in.   The other issue is the squirt issue seemingly has gotten worse with the most recent patch, but this could be due to an indirect portion of the game that was updated to make FPS appear more fluid and we are just seemingly noticing the same squirt more prominently. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:36:16 PM by Brighttail »

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
Still waiting for a comment from HB on  this?  I'm not sure why it is so difficult at least to acknowledge this as either as a 'bug' or as 'working as intended.'

Right now it feels that it is a 'feature' the devs don't want to talk about cause they don't want to either:
A. admit it is a bug
B. that they didn't intend it and don't know how to fix it.

sevekeve

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 11:30:33 AM »
Golf is not a game of perfect.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 11:32:39 AM »

I'm fine with that answer if indeed that is the answer.  Still waiting for the "official" response and not speculation.

bob5453

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »

I'm fine with that answer if indeed that is the answer.  Still waiting for the "official" response and not speculation.

Have you ever watched the devs play on their Twitch broadcasts? They are below average players and squirt the ball all over the place, so yes they see ball squirt all the time. :) The game has no uphill/downhill effect on shots and every bug or suggestion goes on a to-do list with priority being on sales to new customers, then they have to fix the bugs that the new sales create. I will be interested to see what they work on in the next quarter, a mac version, more themes, fix problems, add some options, update the engine, think about TGC2.... Great program for me, but improves at a snail's pace and is still hard for me to recommend to any of my friends because of the frame rates.

Back to ball squirt, there can't be many players good enough for this to actually hinder their play, so I see this as something you will have to live with as the old "we can't reproduce this in the office" reply is all you are going to see.
My TGC 2k21 courses
The Big Valley
Roy Rogers Happy Trails
Gilligan's Island Par 3
Magestic Mountain

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »

Have you ever watched the devs play on their Twitch broadcasts? They are below average players and squirt the ball all over the place, so yes they see ball squirt all the time. :) The game has no uphill/downhill effect on shots and every bug or suggestion goes on a to-do list with priority being on sales to new customers, then they have to fix the bugs that the new sales create. I will be interested to see what they work on in the next quarter, a mac version, more themes, fix problems, add some options, update the engine, think about TGC2.... Great program for me, but improves at a snail's pace and is still hard for me to recommend to any of my friends because of the frame rates.

Back to ball squirt, there can't be many players good enough for this to actually hinder their play, so I see this as something you will have to live with as the old "we can't reproduce this in the office" reply is all you are going to see.

There are actually a lot of very good players playing on the TGC tours that deal with this every tournament.  Now that being said, it may be because of these players it was added, else instead of shooting -15 for a round, they might shoot -19. Never know.  I'm not an elite player but it definitely costs me a few shots every round, usually on an approach shot I hit with the perfect distance from 195 yards out but because of squirt I'm 30 feet left/right of the pin.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with them not addressing this question.  No win for them either way.

Stan Solo

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 07:37:30 PM »
They are doing a live stream Wednesday 17th 3pm......maybe you can ask them

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 07:56:34 PM »
someone close this thread...getting on my mammaries now, just get on with the game people! just a game after all!  and i've yet to see one convincing video that shows a straight hit off a flat lie move 30 yds, appears to be exaggeration to me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:58:27 PM by DoGgzbollox »

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
I'm perfectly fine with them not addressing this question.  No win for them either way.

Well then you don't have to follow the thread, but inquiring minds want to know.

Also you rarely hit it straight to begin with so you probably wouldn't notice. :) :)

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2015, 06:43:56 PM »
Did some fiddling with this yesterday and found something that was true for ME anyhow.

When I used the LEFT stick to swing the squirt was less noticeable and I had fewer underpower shots.
When I used the RIGHT stick to swing...both were more apparent.

No idea what it means...but that was my experience.

Anyone else try that?
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »
Did some fiddling with this yesterday and found something that was true for ME anyhow.

When I used the LEFT stick to swing the squirt was less noticeable and I had fewer underpower shots.
When I used the RIGHT stick to swing...both were more apparent.

No idea what it means...but that was my experience.

Anyone else try that?

I'm assuming you mean left and right handed.. if so this would explain Doyley's not minding as much. :)

space-cash