Finally getting somewhere...

• 2 Replies

BadJobAce

• XBL - BadJobAce
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »
So I've made a couple of really, really terrible courses with auto-generated fairways and whatnot.  Then I finally decided to "give it a go" and REALLY get into building and designing a course.

Well, I've deleted and restarted after 1 or 2 holes probably half a dozen times.  I'd get one down, and then be stuck. 

NOT THIS TIME.  About 5 holes in, I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere with the untitled course I'm building now, and I actually have pretty great ideas for the remaining 18.  I have them all plotted out and in the directions/distances I want them to go, so at this point it's just putting the hours and work in.  With the holiday weekend, hopefully I'll have some serious progress to report.  This is my first "serious" attempt at designing, and I'm trying to build a course that's fun, with medium difficulty and a "risk/reward" concept, with water in play on more than half of the holes.  So far in the design, only one of the par 5's can be reached in two, and it's definitely a risk/reward scenario based off of #14 at Bay Valley Resort in Bay City, MI (my home course). 

I wanted to build something that combines some of my favorite elements from courses I frequent in Mid-Michigan, so the Autumn theme comes as a natural fit.  So far I'm happy with the progress I'm making, and I'm in love with my opening hole, a medium length par 4 that requires a fairly accurate mid-iron into the green for a shot at birdie.  Once the whole course is done, I'll tinker with green speeds/firmness to get the exact feel I'm going for, but for right now everything is like a dartboard.

I'm just excited about this project. 

So the question becomes:  How many of you do this same thing, and delete/restart multiple times before getting it right?

I'm hoping to play at least 72 holes of "real" golf this weekend...................you know...............for research........................................ Just don't tell my pregnant wife, because I'm sure she has other plans for us.
My published designs:

Makwa Jiigashkiig:  Ojibwe Tribal Grounds (TGCTLive! Par 3 Contest WINNER)

mjhamilton113

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:12:55 PM »
Love to hear it. This happens to me all the time where I have this vision in my head and it doesn't come to fruition in the design. For me I've done so many two hole courses lol. You should post some screenshots for us all to see

BadJobAce

• XBL - BadJobAce
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 05:19:23 PM »
I have no idea how to
1) Take a screenshot on my XB1
2) Post a screenshot on here

Otherwise, I totally would!
My published designs:

Makwa Jiigashkiig:  Ojibwe Tribal Grounds (TGCTLive! Par 3 Contest WINNER)

space-cash