Karukera

• 18 Replies

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« on: June 10, 2015, 04:52:29 PM »
Hi all,

Here is a little teaser of my next course : Karukera.

It's a tropical island course base on the shape of Guadeloupe island (Karukera in native Indian, which means "fine waters"). The holes wind along the shores of the two parts of the island. The first nine on "Grande Terre", rather dry and even wild at the north east, the last nine on "Basse terre",  a wetter part with volcanic mountains. I've tried to be true to the general landscape and vegetation though it's certainly not accurate (I would have like some cacti too in the theme). I'm at the moment trying to build a rum distillery to supply the 19th hole  :) ;) :)

All holes are built and most of the elevation and vegetation work is done. Now, I will refine the course until I consider it's not a shame to be released. More pictures will come.

Dominique.

My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

To come : BeechWood Valley / TGC France

mjhamilton113

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »
It looks really cool. I'm curious to hear more about the holes and their design themselves

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »
Looks great.  That 2nd picture looks like a real pic.

bigtee

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 09:26:47 AM »
Doume i'm glad you selected one of the new themes for once. This will be good.

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:39:23 AM »
Hi all,

As promised, here is the routing with the hole names, all from a real location.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
love all the hole names! well done!
Check out all my course's, listed in the OP of my "friendBOMBER's course catalog" thread in TGC2019 completed courses:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=29412.msg351275#msg351275

Follow me on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/friendBOMBER1

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi all,

Here is an  overview of the opening hole at Karukera, a gentle Par 4, dog leg right with a 8 or 7-iron shot to a rather undulating but welcoming green. The hole can be lengthened by moving the tee back to the 10th tee which can be see up right. Then, it's a tough opening and that's the Sunday competition setting. By the way, I intend to release a first discovery version and then, 4 different versions for the 4 days of a competition. I have designed each green to have at least 4 distinct pin position zones.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Rede lMl ptioN

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 05:36:51 PM »
this course looks awesome!! Hopefully its released to us soon! Cant wait

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
And here his the second hole. Easy par 5. The drive must manage the long right bunker reminding the 5th at Bethpage Black. The second shot is blind and can reach the front of the green with a good 3-wood. The green is very large and slopes toward the sea a its 55yds depth permit to make the hole plays slightly different according to pin positions. (I hope all the Guadeloupe lovers will recognize the beautiful Sainte-Anne's beach  ;) )

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »
Hi, here comes the third !

Still heading east with this mid length par 4. Drive must beware of the fairway sloping towards the sea. Then, a good 8 or 7 iron can land easily on the multi-tiered green. Just be accurate as any ball further than 12 feet of the pin manage a difficult putt.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
...and another general view from the very east end of the island, just over "la pointe des Chateaux" (Castles point). In the far the volcano "La Souffrière" and two other volcanic mounds "Les Mamelles" (the boobs)...

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »
Hi again,

Now two by two until the 9th and then 3 by 3, this could give a release date in a week or so...

The 4th to begin : this is a long par 4 uphill at the drive and then downhill and semi blind with a long iron or fairway wood to a rather large green but very next to the shore. As the front green is quite unreachable, this pin position is used in conjunction with the use of the back tee that you can see upper left and then the hole plays as a 580 yds par 5. This is a Sunday setting.

Now the 5th : the only unreachable regular par 5 of the course. Though the fairway is tight as always on the course, the drive is not a problem. The second shot is not a threat too if you aim to the right fairway bunker only there for this purpose. The approach is steeply uphill and blind but short and can lead to an easy birdie.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:30 PM »
Hi, two more as promised :

6th : rather long par 3 shortened by the down-slope. The only real danger is the heavy slope at the back of the green which brings the ball very low under the putting surface

7th : short par 4 with a blind tee shot. Any too long drive ends in the sea, so control is the key word here. Then , a wedge or short iron must manage a large green with deep depression at the  left and back.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 02:16:29 PM »
... and we end the first half of the course with the next two :

8th : picturesque uphill par 3. Overclub by 1 with no wind. The putting surface is wide but rather shallow in depth so the balls often end in the back rough. The up and down is easy though.

9th : a gambler's left to right dog-leg. With a little helping wind, you can get a shorter second shot but the deep bunkers await the weak shot. From the "standard" landing drive spot the second shot is long, downhill and blind and the green gives no mercy for errant shots back right or left. All is a question of accuracy here.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

Doume6307

• GroupMember
    • DB Golf Designs
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 02:33:29 PM »
Here we are again to start the back nine with the first three holes !

N° 10 "Goyave" : a short par 4 with a very bumpy landing area. The bad spot is on the left of the fairway in a deep depression. Too long a drive can end in rough but the approach is short. The green can bring some tricky putts if you miss the good tier. Water is not really a factor here.

N° 11 "Capesterre" : just near where Cristobal Colombus landed for the first time in 1493. The palm tree lined tee reminds the real "Allée Dumanoir" which border the road living Capsterre to the south. He again is a short par 4 with a fairway sloping rather steeply to the left. The second shot is an uphill wedge to a large green with delicate undulations. Great birdie opportunity !

N° 12 "Trois-Rivières" : there we must past the south end of the island climbing the lower slopes of "La Souffrière". If you do not cut the dog leg of this uphill fairway, the green lies at 160 feet uphill again. The surface is not scary but some steep slopes freight the front and left sides.

Dominique
My 2K21 Courses :

WP-Classical(Tour)

space-cash