Right stick issue

• 14 Replies

Tsar35

« on: July 15, 2015, 04:49:33 AM »
I hate to pile on all the left stick controversy but there is an issue with the right stick too. I wrote about it here http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=11686.0, but thought I would start a new thread to make sure it is noticed and fixed asap too. In short, 80% of the shots are now affected by the 95% power bug. Please note that I have always played using the right stick, so it's not like I switched from left to right overnight and trying to get used to it. In the linked thread, someone else has confirmed having the same issue and I saw another person mentioning the problem on the TGCT forum as well.

HitItLong

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 06:20:37 AM »
The swing was updated to make it "granular" and independent of frame-rate, the old swing gave you 100% often when you didn't deserve it, now you need to quickly push the stick forward (some would say slam) after the animation has completed the backswing in order to get 100% consistently.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

Tsar35

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:53 AM »
OK, thank you for your answer. Wish I read this information somewhere before making an ass of myself :) I played another round and admit that the number of 95% shots was already much lower.

leslie.sangster

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 07:47:53 AM »

The swing was updated to make it "granular" and independent of frame-rate, the old swing gave you 100% often when you didn't deserve it, now you need to quickly push the stick forward (some would say slam) after the animation has completed the backswing in order to get 100% consistently.

Wasn't this happening on the PS4 and HB found there was a server issue as well

Sent from my iPad

settlerofcatan

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:55:02 PM »
This issue is alive and well and is NOT related to how fast one pushes forward on the stick. I play with the right stick on XB1 and consider myself a very good golfer (+10.5 handicap and top 400 in world on TGCTours). In the past couple days, I cannot play without getting a 95% swing around a quarter of the time.  How frustrating!!

I slam the stick forward as fast as I can, and that still does not solve the problem. I watch helplessly as it seems like my character doesn't react as soon as I push the stick forward. He goes slowly and I watch as he sticks somewhere near the top of the swing before proceeding forward, resulting in 95%.

This needs to be addressed as I do not think that these 95% results are due to a swing design by HB, but rather are some bug. It's making the game unplayable for me and that is the most frustrating bit - I really like this game.

Help, HB!

Cheagles

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

I slam the stick forward as fast as I can, and that still does not solve the problem. I watch helplessly as it seems like my character doesn't react as soon as I push the stick forward. He goes slowly and I watch as he sticks somewhere near the top of the swing before proceeding forward, resulting in 95%.

You do not need to 'slam' the stick forward.  Try holding at the top of your back swing for half a second or so before moving your stick forward.

settlerofcatan

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

You do not need to 'slam' the stick forward.  Try holding at the top of your back swing for half a second or so before moving your stick forward.

Hi Adam -

Thanks for the reply.  I do indeed hold my swing at the top for a while out of habit (which in previous days would prevent under-swinging). However, no matter the speed I bring my swing through, my character hesitates and then goes into a 95% downswing a good quarter of the time. It seems like my downswing on the stick is out of sync with the downswing in the game, and this can cause hesitation with my character that reduces the swing %. Unless I'm totally missing something ... ?

Cheagles

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 02:34:41 PM »
I understand what you mean.  Do you move the stick with just your thumb?  I find when I swing that way, the transition between all the way back and starting to go forward, can sometimes cause a very slight pause where the stick wants to sit at the 'neutral zone' if it is not done smoothly enough, which will result in the less than 100%.  I swing by pulling back with my forefinger, then pushing through with my thumb, so there is no chance that it will get that hang in the neutral area.  I know that changing a swing method that you're used to isn't the greatest solution, but it's all about finding a solution that works for you. 

Tsar35

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 03:51:33 PM »
Hi Adam, I am using a similar technique as the one you described and am also a fairly good player, but still get the 95% shots very often. I tried various tempos (smooth transition from pulling back to pushing forward, slamming forward, holding at the top, …). I wouldn't have minded if some of the mechanic were changed to make the game more challenging, but then presumably some players would be struggling on PC and PS4 too, and no one seem to have reported a similar issue on these platforms.

Cally

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
I am a left stick XB1 player who has been forced to play with the right stick since Monday and I have been hitting 100% about 75% of the time so I am not seeing this problem

tarbat

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »
I can't remember when I last got anything other than 100%.  Nothing has changed for me in the latest update, still get 100% every time.  I use forefinger for backswing, and thumb for the forward swing.
XB1

Catcherer

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 05:14:35 PM »
Hi Adam, I am using a similar technique as the one you described and am also a fairly good player, but still get the 95% shots very often. I tried various tempos (smooth transition from pulling back to pushing forward, slamming forward, holding at the top, …). I wouldn't have minded if some of the mechanic were changed to make the game more challenging, but then presumably some players would be struggling on PC and PS4 too, and no one seem to have reported a similar issue on these platforms.
Yes, I confirm X1 95% issue. If I need to do full swing I have only 2 results, 100% or 95% (roughly 10% of shots). I am sure that I ca not be so consistant in making the same mistake. I have played more than 10 full rounds after update.

Odesláno z mého SGP511 pomocí Tapatalk

settlerofcatan

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »
I understand what you mean.  Do you move the stick with just your thumb?  I find when I swing that way, the transition between all the way back and starting to go forward, can sometimes cause a very slight pause where the stick wants to sit at the 'neutral zone' if it is not done smoothly enough, which will result in the less than 100%.  I swing by pulling back with my forefinger, then pushing through with my thumb, so there is no chance that it will get that hang in the neutral area.  I know that changing a swing method that you're used to isn't the greatest solution, but it's all about finding a solution that works for you.

Hi Adam --

As an update, I've been giving the two finger swing approach a go to mixed success -- I decreased my proportion of 95% from a quarter of the time to maybe 1/20 swings (5%). While this is better, it seems like something is still amiss with the update. There's been enough grousing on the TGCT forums where I'm wondering if there is some sort of detection bug making the right stick on the xbox not get the swing power determined correctly?  I'm not really sure but it seems really sensitive now.

Anyway, I'm able to adapt and can work around this with a new swing and I really appreciate the quick feedback.

Nate

Slimpatg

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 02:09:30 AM »
There needs to be a fix to this or else I will quit playing. No point in playing serious competition when you don't know if you can carry water/bunker because of 95%. I strongly support hbstudios and all you do but this is rrally bad. It needs to go back to what it was. I've seen countless complaints about it and a lot of them from the top players on tgctours. I've tried to adapt and nothing seems to work. I shouldn't have to slam the **** out of my stick every time in fear of it happening. If I take it back all the way it needs to go 100% unless the take back timing is off from the forward timing. I just won a pga tournament on tgctours so it's not like I'm some newb. Please fix this.

Slimpatg

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 04:27:00 AM »
I'm happy to report that I played 2 rounds after the update with no 95%. It didn't look like this issue was being addressed after reading some comments from you guys but it looks like it has. I had so much fun during those 2 rounds. Thanks for fixing it.

space-cash