It's time: Designer/Course website application is needed

• 6 Replies

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:41:18 PM »
I know that there are still parts of the game being worked on to improve the play and interface. That's job number one and it's very very important.

However, there are people literally leaving the game because of the side effects of having a somewhat lackluster way of tracking and selecting courses to play from the massive database of available places to play.

I've talked about this once before in someone else's thread but figured I'd throw it in here on it's own and see if maybe we in the community could help you guys brainstorm on a way to get things sorted a little better.

Here's my thought:

Anyone remember the game Spore? Every player had their own small webpage off of the Spore website. On that page you could see a little about the designer, see all their designs, comment on the designs, favorite them, bookmark them... that kind of thing. That's what we need.

We need a thegolfclubgame.com with a sub-site containing a page for each designer. I would suggest a login system with password as well because I think the designer should have SOME control over the page. There the designer can put a little blurb about themselves or their latest course or whatever, change the background and some pictures or something of their courses... that kind of thing.

Here ever course by that designer will be listed along with the stats for the course (plays, ratings, length, settings...all that jazz). It would be great if the designer could add a little to each entry by way of comment or something.

Also here the designer can have a list of their OWN favorite courses and designers and there would by links to them that could be clicked. This would allow folks to initially select one course...then get to the designer...then get to that designer's linked favorites...then that designer... then another designer from there... basically you could keep drilling into the site and find more of what you like or sometimes that little diamond in the rough that someone else already found.

Also I'd like a section for the designer to post a few pictures and updates (like a SMALL blog built into the page) about upcoming projects or tournaments that are being put together.

I know it would be a lot of work to put together...but it would add SO much to this game to have a way to link favorites or make suggestions that wasn't linked to the forum the way it is now.

I can picture the whole thing in my head but I'm having trouble describing it with words right now so I'm going to stop...

I really think an addition like this could push the game further faster than a lot of the things being tossed around right now.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
Completely agree, I started a thread to a very similar vain with very similar ideas... Was basically a brain dump. I know from that thread that TGCTours want to improve their offering in this space but not sure quite what that would be. I've been toying with some ideas in my spare time and started a prototype

In short, if I find the time you might get a site similar to the above from myself. Image thumbnails on the course search/lists would be a big dad as you could easily browse that way.

My idea for course pages centred around widgets basically allowing the designer to add scorecards and images etc to their pages in a nice way but as you say have control over what Is added and where. I would also want to integrate the HB and possibly TGCT forums (where relevant) into the pages so comments appear both on the course page and the forum.

Lots of ideas, the more people add now the better any potential solution from me or otherwise would be :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
Well it's like I said. I get there are "more important" parts to the game...but when I see folks LEAVING because the courses get buried and feeling get hurt and there's just this perception around course design that you have to be one of a few people to get noticed... it's just not fun for a lot of folks that want to use all aspects of the game to their fullest.

A site that allows folks to link their way from designer to designer to course to forum without having to do a search and know what to search for? That's HUGE. I think it would do SO much for the game.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »

Well it's like I said. I get there are "more important" parts to the game...but when I see folks LEAVING because the courses get buried and feeling get hurt and there's just this perception around course design that you have to be one of a few people to get noticed... it's just not fun for a lot of folks that want to use all aspects of the game to their fullest.

A site that allows folks to link their way from designer to designer to course to forum without having to do a search and know what to search for? That's HUGE. I think it would do SO much for the game.

Yeah definitely, the problem currently is that you have the forums and that it pretty much it, if you blink then you miss it.  Even if you get on the TGCT db then you soon fall off that list of hot new courses and it's hard to stand out on there as it is currently.

I like the idea of WIP blog(s) that a designer can update integrated as part of that site. I also think some designers would love to present their courses in full with hole descriptions and pics etc but a forum post is too limiting.

I linked this before but SmilingGoats.com is a great way to present your course that I'm certain many designers would love to do.

Tbh if the site just acted as a way to store a playlist of courses it would help me, I'm always forgetting courses I see and want to give a go
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

bob5453

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:37:00 PM »
I would like to be able to browse more images of each course and then when I see one I want to play I just hit a button and load that course up.

I'll be honest, I mostly play courses that Karma plays through the in-game message center, but I judge them heavily based on the one small low res screenshot you see of the course in the message center. There has to be a better way. :)
My TGC 2k21 courses
The Big Valley
Roy Rogers Happy Trails
Gilligan's Island Par 3
Magestic Mountain

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
Back in early access they had flyovers in the course selection...but that was way to much of a resource hog as you had to load the course for them to show.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:47 PM »
The site i've started would allow designers to give exactly that to the comunity and in plus i can merge all platforms including rl golf.

Check it out: tgc.grizzlygolf.ch

The point is:
- Only info's that have been put in there can be found.
- The more designers and/or rl golfers partizipate, the more the value of the page may grow.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

space-cash