1st Ever Design, Highlands Theme, Mystic Highlands GC

• 12 Replies

wiser66

« on: August 12, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
Hello everyone, I just want to say that in the 2 weeks I've had this game on PS4 I've quickly realized how great this community is. I've mostly spent my time in the course designer, and thanks to Canuck's tutorial videos (and some others), I've been able to make great strides in using the designer. I am about 16 holes into my 1st design (yes, I've had a lot of free time recently), and I'm mostly done with those 16 holes except for some dressing up at the end. After spending so many hours on this course, I feel like this is my baby, but as we all know some babies are ugly, so feel free to dish out some constructive criticism. I would love to continue improving as I've had a great time on this first course.

I have yet to decide on a name, so if anyone gets moved by the pics and they have some good name ideas, feel free to throw them out there! Here are some pics and hopefully I'll be able to get some good feedback:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:14:20 PM by wiser66 »
Published Courses, Newest to Oldest:

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Wiser Torrid Highlands Blue Tee
Wiser Paradise Plantation
Delta Wiser Grand National
Mystic Highlands GC

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 11:46:02 AM »
Hooray Church Pews!

One hint, try playing with the "flatten" tool instead of the "raise" tool on those round bunkers. I think you'll be happier.  ;D

Welcome to the crack of design!
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

wiser66

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:11:43 PM »
When I got started with the designer, the church pews were one of the first things that came to my mind. Couldn't wait to use them!

Thanks for the tip with the flatten tool...I actually used the flatten tool with the bunkers (but used R1 to raise the height while flattening). Some of them are probably overdone just a touch, so I will go back and do a little "flatten" sculpting at the end.

It's amazing to me all the things you can do with the designer if you are creative. I'm glad I got into this game now, as it seems like they have added quite a bit over the last several months.

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Mystic Highlands GC

Ramjet36

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
Lookin good Wiser.   My suggestion is to work in some bushes, plants, grass, weeds and or flowers into your rock clusters.  Cram them right into the cracks between the rocks (or leave just a little space between the rocks and then stick stuff in there.)  Makes them look more natural and takes some of the harshness out of the look. (Just a thought).
Courses created:   PS4  ID:  RAMJET-36
Peppers Point
Lamp Lighter Harbor

wiser66

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
Nice, I will definitely work on getting the grasses together with the rocks. I have used that in other areas of the course and I'm really happy with how it has looks. That method would definitely help out in the rock clusters around the water as well.

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Mystic Highlands GC

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:03 AM »
Looking good so far, glad my videos have helped you a bit!

Acrilix

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:55 AM »
I would smooth some of the fairway edges using the fuzzy brushes (there are two together in GNCD - one round, one more sausage shaped). If you set them to flatten they are great for all types of smoothing around a course, creating very natural transitions.  ;)
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

wiser66

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 06:16:06 PM »
Canuck, your videos were priceless for me getting started with this designer. If it wasn't for your videos I would still probably be fiddling around trying to get rid of the auto-gen elements that are automatically created when you start a hole. In fact, one of your critique videos with Elz was the original reason I got interested in this game as it seemed like 2 normal guys just having a fun time. When I found out you could not only create your own golf course, but play other peoples' creations, I was all in.

Acrilix, thanks for the input on the edges of the fairways. I have done a good job of that on a few holes, but will certainly continue that process for every hole while I cleanup the course over the next few days.

The feedback has been extremely helpful so far, as it has been jogging my memory with things I need to polish before going live so thanks for that! I have also decided on Mystic Highlands GC as I think it fits the look of the property very well. Here are some updated pics with various vegetation, plus some trees to give it a little more interesting feel, and they also influence strategy quite a bit:

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Mystic Highlands GC

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
I still think you need to get your flatten tool out for those round bunkers especially. Make it JUST larger than the sand and lower it down. Then you can always soften it up with a soft edge brush tool and flattening again around the edges.

You also may want to put rough around the fairway bunkers. To do so go to Terrain, grab a brush and make it the size and shape of the rough you want. Then lower it BELOW WATER LEVEL.

BAM rough.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

wiser66

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 11:07:23 PM »
Reeb, I'm definitely going to work on some extra sculpting on those bunkers in the way you proposed with the flattening tool covering the entire bunker. I have only been putting rough around the bunkers around the green, and I've been going for a more rugged look around the fwy bunkers so far.

What do you mean about lowering the rough below water level? (I say this fully knowing I may be missing some sarcasm here, because, well...the Internet)

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Mystic Highlands GC

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:57:09 AM »
No not at all.

What I'm saying is you have bunkers in the fairway with just this little default line of rough around them. Normally you'd want a larger strip of rough around them.

To do this go to the terrain tool (red brushes). Grab a round brush to start (not the softest one) and make it larger than the bunker. Now LOWER that WAY WAY WAY down (below the water line). When you click A or X or whatever you'll be rewarded with a patch of rough around the bunker the shape of the brush you used. You may have to recontour the bunker a bit with the BLUE sculpting brush...but you'll have a better look.

If that still doesn't make sense let me know. I know taste has a video for how to do this if I can find it...
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

wiser66

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Thanks Reeb, that makes sense to me in theory. I'll have to try that method out later today.

I have now completed the design of #18, which was my final hole to finish, so now it's on to polishing and getting the shrub areas looking a little better. Here are some pics of #18 and some of the re-sculpted bunkers:

Tarantula Pines
Wiser Torrid Highlands
Mystic Highlands GC

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 02:35:43 AM »
Glad to hear it..Highlands theme looking good!

space-cash