The Crater CC
6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: November 04, 2015, 03:27:33 PM

HB Design Tournament Round 2 - Reebdoog vs Phoenix Jay

• 27 Replies

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
For better or for worse, the crater cc 6 holes is now open lol.

It looks good but trying to get the greens decent was a pain in the neck lol. Had to publish it now as ive been having internet issues lately so couldnt risk not being able to get on an publish it. Let me know what you think and if any, helpful suggestions for when i get back on the holes and renovate them.

I notice that I didn't really comment on your course in the first round other than to have a little chuckle over the high drops, wicked green on 2 and the crazy winds. But maybe now I should comment more seriously and offer an insight into what I personally look for in a golf game and what I feel is wrong with a lot of the course design that I find in the public area. Granted, everybody has different tastes and mine is neither right or wrong. It's just mine. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

While not completely fantasy, your course, at times, borders on what I would consider a fantasy course. I don't know of any real golf courses that have drops like the ones on yours. But then again, I'm not a golfer. I can only go by watching the tournaments on TV. I don't recall any holes like some of the ones you've created.

These kind of courses are just not my cup of tea. I prefer a more traditional course. Call me old fashioned. I am old so it fits. On the plus side, your "fantasy" course is a lot better designed than 99% of the crap that I constantly run into in the public area. It gets so frustrating trying to find a decent course to play as I am always going in there looking for hidden gems. I have found very few. Either courses are auto generated or have 300 foot drops and 500 yard carries over water. I won't even get into the ones that have animals and light houses on the greens.

I get there are people who are into this kind of design and think it's cool. It would just be nice if I could go into the public area and be able to look at a course description with enough info to tell me whether or not I want to waste my time playing it. Sadly, there is nothing. I have however learned how to detects a few signs that might lead me away from a course.

1) A stupid name or lack of one.

2) A very bad screen print.

3) All CAPS in name.

4) The first fairway with a big hill in front of the tee (Yes, need to at least play first hole)

I'm getting better at weeding out the courses that i would find less desirable for my taste. The sad thing is, most courses in public are either auto generated, fantasy or just poorly made with no thought put into them at all. Your course, in comparison, is a gem. I actually didn't hate playing it. Shot +1 and even par in my two tries. I know I can now do better after having gone through it twice. It's actually a rather enjoyable course for what it is. And honestly, the reason I voted for it in the first round over Colin's was because his was just so out in left field. But I have to be honest. In the coming rounds, the more traditional courses are going to get my vote over this. It's not a knock on your course as it's very well done for what it is. It's just not my personal preference.

And that leads me to my question. What kind of courses does this community generally go for? Are they more inclined to go for the fantasy course? Judging by the public area, I'd have to say yes. Are we so bored with traditional courses that we have to have big drops and animals on the green to have fun playing?

Anyway, I don't envy your being up against Reebdoog in this round. His course is a work of art and it's real. But who knows. With what I'm seeing in the public area, you just might pull this one out of the fire.

And I can't say I'd be surprised.

Good luck either way and please finish this course.

Believe it or not, I want to play it through to the end.

Hi wagtunes, I know what you mean, with this course, its 25% fantasy and 75% real. There are real courses with big drops all over the place, even courses with high elevation greens, the green on 1 was based partly on a par 3 at my local course. you cant see the green and have a massive hill in front of you that you have to hit a lofted shot onto. Ive been watching golf for most of my life so thats where my ideas for parts of these holes come from.

The type of course that most people prefer to play differs, some like easy courses, some like hard courses to challenge them, some like courses they can go help free on. We are rookie designers wag, thats why we entered the contest, to learn and pick up tips and ideas to make us better and hopefully create a wide range of types of courses that others will enjoy to play. But always remember to create a type of course you will like to play, that way you will enjoy testing it and playing it with friends rather than playing it grudgingly and scoring 20+.

When playing my course take this into account:

Hole 1: you have 2 routes to the green, the traditional route along the bottom and over the ravine then lofted shot to green which if it has backspin, can cme back if hit wrong or the 3w to the left up onto the 2nd fairway and a more level shot to the green. This is the thurs/fri tee box.

Hole 2: a straight shot with 1mph wind is a driver just short of the green near lob shot area. The green is shaped like a bowl so it will normally run to the middle. This is the thurs/fri tee as well. the weekend and championship tees will be added when i get eliminated.

Hole 3: This the championship tee for this hole. Hit as far as you can with a driver then if you have good wind, try and aim for the right side of the neck of the green to run it on. The green runs right to left so if it runs right will leave you with eagle on the left. if you overhit the putt you could leave a tricky one back, so i normally lag it to the hole for the bird.

Hole 4: This is a nice par 3 with a good size green which runs to the left. On this hole i have the 3 tee areas ranged up the slope to the right and gives variety to the tee shots you can get if its in a tourny. The one its set on is the championship tee. in low wind, a 3 iron, with loft depending on wind and aimed right, normally can run within 20 feet most of the time. Fairway before the green is there incase high winds are involved.

Hole 5: I like this hole, a fun dogleg to the right. If the wind is 8mph or worse in your face, you will risk the bunkers off this tee (Thurs/fri). if its strong try to aim just before the bunkers, if you check the trees to the right, you will notice a couple of placed gaps at intervals to allow you a shot at the green. woods into this green or shots with no loft tend to run into my own valley of sin on the other side. the green front layout was based on a hole at the woburn course that hosted thebritish masters tourny not long ago. Very nice course with slopes, dual fairways and testing greens.

Hole 6: For the contest i picked the thurs/fri tee and when hit with driver and with wind like keith did in the video an catch the slope and give a nice lofted shot down onto the green. From longer shots, this green can be a pain to stop close on and was giving me a headache when testing lol. Once im out i will go back to do more testing. I have also thought about puting a tree in the fairway, think of it as a target especially for those that like playing sim golf. warning, when hitting to this green, dont pull right or let the wind get you on that side,it will carry you off the edge lol.

Hope this helps.

I will be working on holes 7-9 over the next few days, a par 3, par 4 and par 4.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
par 4   4   5   3   4   4   3   4   4  35

10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
par 3   5   4   4   4   4   5   3   4  36  71

This is how my course will layout. :)
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 01:58:15 PM »
Reeb 4 me,hope thats clear.

elgato71

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
Make no mistake The Phoenix has risen from the Crater...But it's not quite enough to reach this Top Doog...Vast improvement though Jay, keep at it..I thought hole #6 was really really good!!

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
Make no mistake The Phoenix has risen from the Crater...But it's not quite enough to reach this Top Doog...Vast improvement though Jay, keep at it..I thought hole #6 was really really good!!

Thanks elgato, thats ok, it was a tough task to catch up to the reeb lol

St Andrews Old Course.

Coggin66

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 07:04:17 PM »
Phoenix. In my opinion the biggest single improvement to your course would be to convert it to another newer theme. I like what you are trying to do but I stand on the first tee and look at those plants and think what planet am I on. It feels like someone has added a golf course to No Mans Sky.
My PGA 2K21 courses:
Mt Honey Botanic Gardens
The Fingers Escarpment
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Mount Panorama Bathurst 18
Kentash Bay
Propellor Island Archipelago

XB1: Coggin66
President of XB1 Seniors society

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
Phoenix. In my opinion the biggest single improvement to your course would be to convert it to another newer theme. I like what you are trying to do but I stand on the first tee and look at those plants and think what planet am I on. It feels like someone has added a golf course to No Mans Sky.

lol coggin, dont worry about 1, im renovating 1-3 when i go out and the only plants on my course will be trees. When i started, i thought it looked nice but after i published and played others i noticed what you did. Also, didnt get much constructive criticism about what was liked and not liked about the first 3 so have been unsure till now what i can tweak. im adding alternate tees on those 3 holes so it will play different and fun, thurs/fri, sat/sun and a championship tee. Once the course is ready then i will play with themes to see if any others make it look better. thanks  :)

St Andrews Old Course.

Coggin66

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
I did a modified autogen Autumn course when I first got the game and liked it at the time but having used some of the newer themes I now find Autumn a bit unnatural (and would suggest Harvest instead).   I've experimented with changing themes and would recommend doing it sooner rather than later as the tree and plant slot swaps can be a bit odd. Easier to clean up 6 or 9 holes than 18!
My PGA 2K21 courses:
Mt Honey Botanic Gardens
The Fingers Escarpment
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Kentash Bay

wagtunes

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:14 PM »
I did a modified autogen Autumn course when I first got the game and liked it at the time but having used some of the newer themes I now find Autumn a bit unnatural (and would suggest Harvest instead).   I've experimented with changing themes and would recommend doing it sooner rather than later as the tree and plant slot swaps can be a bit odd. Easier to clean up 6 or 9 holes than 18!

Which themes are considered the best ones in the game?

Coggin66

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »

To me it is which themes are best at doing a similar task e.g. Harvest is better than Autumn; Highlands is better than Links; Swiss is better Alpine.  They are all effectively 2.0 versions of the original themes.

It is harder to compare between the themes. This is one of the areas I am having difficulty with when voting.  Perhaps next time HB need to steal some of the TGCT ideas and pool by theme in the earlier stages and allow optional theme switching as a strategy to get into an easier pool (assuming your opponents don't do the same thing).
My PGA 2K21 courses:
Mt Honey Botanic Gardens
The Fingers Escarpment
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Kentash Bay

wagtunes

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »

To me it is which themes are best at doing a similar task e.g. Harvest is better than Autumn; Highlands is better than Links; Swiss is better Alpine.  They are all effectively 2.0 versions of the original themes.

It is harder to compare between the themes. This is one of the areas I am having difficulty with when voting.  Perhaps next time HB need to steal some of the TGCT ideas and pool by theme in the earlier stages and allow optional theme switching as a strategy to get into an easier pool (assuming your opponents don't do the same thing).

Are there any themes that don't have 2.0 versions that are considered good or popular themes?

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »
Are there any themes that don't have 2.0 versions that are considered good or popular themes?
The ones that have not been mentioned: Boreal, Country, Desert, Tropical and Delta.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 12:42:37 AM »

I had a look at the harvest theme and yes it looks better if you are starting from scratch, when used on my course, made my fairways seem much thinner and the trees looked huge. I have 9 holes down and another 9 placed so changing to that might be a hassle but will look at it after the vote ends.

St Andrews Old Course.

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 08:19:27 PM »
well done reebdoog :)

St Andrews Old Course.

space-cash