Something AWESOME happened...input needed

• 14 Replies

rdh

« on: December 12, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
I can't explain this one and wish I would have taken a screenshot.  It was pretty awesome and I have a question (and potential request for HB) to throw out...

I finished a round on The Fallen Cedar (recent release) and then went to my messages.  I saw StormGolf had completed a round on Powderfinger G.C. - a desert course I love.  So, I clicked the option to join.  It started up and I couldn't believe it...the fairways and rough were nice lush, green textures.  I got really excited now, as I've asked a couple designers for new versions of their desert courses with deep green fairways/rough...I thought HB must have flipped this to be the default on desert courses.  I exited and called up Powderfinger G.C. (ProTee Sim White), but no luck...it was the old dull textures.  I thought I must have selected a new version of Powderfinger G.C. that I hadn't realized had been released, but there isn't one...it was just a texture glitch that looked FANTASTIC!

So...here's my question.  Should we ask HB to actually make this switch to flip all previous desert courses to default to greener fairways and rough?  If any designers were dead set on using the more brown/dull textures, they could then release an alternate version for that.  Powderfinger just looked amazing with richer grass...I think every desert course should look that way unless specifically changed.

So...what do you think??

bob5453

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:16:47 PM »
Wouldn't it be sweet to have OPTIONS for users to change the textures themselves? Maybe someday the Option Fairy will throw some magic dust on Anthony. :)

I can't see them changing the default texture with the logic of the original author who was dead set on using the more brown/dull textures, they could then release an alternate version for that.
My TGC 2k21 courses
The Big Valley
Roy Rogers Happy Trails
Gilligan's Island Par 3
Magestic Mountain

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

rdh

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
Yeah...options.  Grr.

I'd be surprised if 90% of players didn't favour lusher green textures for desert courses...but wanted to throw it out to see.  It looks dramatically better to my eye!

NevadaBallin

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 08:30:21 PM »
If a designer wants his course to look more lush, they can do it themselves

I'm not sure there is a need to make the studio to work that the designer's themselves can do - if they wish their course to look that way. Some may not want that.
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
[quoteI'm not sure there is a need to make the studio to work that the designer's themselves can do -][/quote]

Seems pretty much straight up to me......

rdh

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
You guys win.  :)  I was just thinking if desert courses looked better this way (my opinion only) then it would save me bugging all the designers for new versions.

I've posted in the bug reporting thread...I had another case where sand textures changed on a course I played.

rdh

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
On my bug reporting thread crazycanuck had the same thing happen and posted screenshots.  I was going to try what he did (start / exit / resume) but I didn't have to.  I just started TGC on steam and started powderfinger and it came up with the lush green grass right away.  Here's a screenshot. 

rdh

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
Another screenshot of how great this looks.  I'm sorry, but this wouldn't be HB doing the work of designers.  It would be a couple of hours of code (guessing...but i'm a developer) for them to add to flip the default for desert courses that don't have texture overrides.  It would instantly make every desert course pop...and save me asking them all to re-release their courses (while retaining the stats on rounds played, handicaps, course records, etc.).

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »
That does look pretty cool.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

NevadaBallin

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 10:29:10 PM »
You guys win.  :)  I was just thinking if desert courses looked better this way (my opinion only) then it would save me bugging all the designers for new versions.

I've posted in the bug reporting thread...I had another case where sand textures changed on a course I played.

I'll probably redo Sand Piper National :)
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

rdh

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
Sorry...one more screenshot.  It's too awesome.  Enjoying my glitched round and hoping it becomes the norm.  :)

oxydendrum

• TGC Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 02:27:11 AM »
The new textures do make a big difference in the desert theme.  I think letting the designer decide the texture and not switching default textures like it is now is the way to go.

I'm currently tidying up Powderfinger, but I should have new lush versions of the course published within the next couple of days.

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 03:05:58 AM »
hey folks,

Thats a bug in the system that got out.  It will be fixed with the next update (and in what went off to cert)  Unfortunately if the theme didn't change then the original textures weren't reapplied.  I'm assuming the course you were playing first was a new desert course so when you started another desert course the textures that we changed would still be there in the shader.

heshwuan

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »
So are these texture swaps universal on whatever system they are made on? ..until the default textures are switched to again? Does this effect all themes across the board?
Seems like that could alter designers' visions for their course drastically, and not always for the better.

One thing is for sure, the desert theme looks fantastic like that..

rdh

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
I love this bug.  It lets me manipulate the textures.  Right now the game uses the textures from the previous round started.  So, if I want to play a desert course with winter textures, I just start a round on a winter course (like winter flathead) then exit the round, then start a round on a desert course (powderfinger or whatever).  It's fantastic...can you make it an option instead of killing it altogether paul?  :) 

space-cash