PLEASE fix the search for the march update!

• 19 Replies

rdh

« on: December 17, 2015, 03:10:17 PM »
I would REALLY like the text search to work for course names.  I just did a search for "protee" (entered without the quotes).  The game finds a total of 16 courses.  Meanwhile there are dozens that have that text in the name...maybe at the start, maybe at the end, maybe different case (ProTee, PROTEE, etc.).  Can we PLEASE get this working reliably for the March update?  I should be able to key "protee" into the search box and get a list of every course that contains that text in the name regardless of case or anything else.

If I search for "Pro Tee" I get zero courses listed.  Meanwhile if I search for "Pro" I get several coming up that have "Pro Tee" in the name.  The search by name is unreliable and that is becoming more and more of an issue as the database continues to grow.

Bubba22

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
I agree rdh. This should be a simple fix hopefully.

Faultyclubs

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:14:17 PM »
Totally agree rdh!   I thought the Protee course selection was terrible until I realized the text search was broken.

rdh

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »
HB - Can you comment on this?

rdh

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
Here's how i'd like to see this work...

If wildcard characters (eg. *) are not used, return all results that contain the entered phrase regardless of case.  So, if "ProTee" is entered as a search (without the quotes), return all courses that contain that text in the name.  PROTEE, protee, ProTee, etc.

Support while card characters.  So, if I search for "*Pro*Tee*" I would get all courses that contain "Pro" AND "Tee" in the name, regardless of case.  i.e PROTEE, PRO TEE, ProTee, ProTee, etc.

I would hope this is just a matter of reviewing the search logic and tweaking it...it's pretty standard programming fare and shouldn't be too complex.  Please try to have this in place for the march update!

Faultyclubs

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 01:46:29 AM »
Would actual wildcard characters really be needed?  Just make it search for whatever string is entered as you described and if more than one string entered then AND them together automatically?

rdh

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »
The only need for the wildcard is the for Pro*Tee scenario to find all courses that contain either ProTee or Pro Tee.  If wildcards weren't supported you'd have to do two separate searches...one for Pro Tee and another for ProTee.  But...even better would be if the search could ignore spaces.  So, behind the scenes store the course name without spaces in another hidden field.  Execute searches against this field and ignore spaces in the search phrase as well.  This could also be all uppercase so case never affects things either.

"Some Course for Pro Tee"   >   new field stores "SOMECOURSEFORPROTEE"
"Some Course for ProTee"    >   new field stores "SOMECOURSEFORPROTEE"

Then, when a search is done, whether the user searches for "ProTee" or "Pro Tee", the search ignores the space and lists all courses that contain "PROTEE" anywhere in the name (so both of the above courses would come up).

HB...can you make this happen and can you get the search to work reliably PLEASE?

rdh

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:17:47 AM »
Another bump asking HB to please respond to this.  Sometimes your participation on the forums is awesome, and at other times it seems to disappear completely.  We're just coming off the holidays so the last couple weeks is understandable...now that we're into the new year can you please reply on this?

rdh

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:11:09 AM »
Not trying to be annoying here, but I will keep bumping this periodically until I get a response.  HB, can you please comment on this?

rdh

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Bueller?   Bueller?

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
I sent a link to this thread over the devs.  I haven't heard anything back

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 08:12:14 AM »
I'll add another wrinkle onto the broken course search function.  The search "Friend's Played" option doesn't produce any results on the PC and PS4 versions of TGC.  Oddly, it works as advertised on the XB1 version!?  This has been the case for months and months now.  I don't know why I haven't mentioned it before.  It's my favorite search tool!
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

rdh

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
HB developers...will you ever respond to this topic?

rdh

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Somone on the HB dev side...can you please respond to this?  It's not a big new request...just something i'd like to hear from you on to hopefully say that you'll spend some time on it and get it working for the next update.

rdh

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
HB devs...can you please say something on this.  I'm tired of begging for a quick comment to say whether it will be improved for the march update...i'd really appreciate something here.

space-cash