Forum Designers' Tour

• 47 Replies

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 11:43:56 AM »
Forum Designers’ Tours #1B

The Big Kahuna Club (Ao) by StoneComet

My Score: 69 (-3)

The Big Kahuna Blub (Ao) features a lot of lengthy holes, fairly generous fairways, and enormous, firm, fast greens.  The combination of firm, fast greens and long-iron approaches makes it nearly impossible to stop your shot at the hole.  Most of the greens slope from back to front, meaning you’ll be faced with a lot of downhill putts if you manage to hold the green at all.  Despite the size of the greens, many approaches will roll off the back resulting in a lot of chipping and flopping.  This wasn’t just me – both of the ghost balls during my round did quite a bit of chipping from the back fringe.

The tropical theme doesn’t really provided the widest palette of colors or the widest variety of trees.  What really stands out is the number of plants available.  The designer doesn’t get the most out of the tropical theme with the planting, but I thought the he did a great job using rocks and buildings throughout the course.  I expected to see more water features, but there were only a few.  There was an island green.

In some areas, the terrain sculpting needed work as some of the hills didn’t feel natural, while in other areas, the sculpting was quite nice.  It gave me a feeling that the designer was learning the GNCD as the course was being built. Overall, the bunkers needed a lot of work.  I really disliked the overly-gigantic bunkers lining several of the fairways, and most of the bunkers were sculpted poorly.  The bottoms of the bunkers often formed a V instead of being mostly flat.  From a distance, the bunkers looked almost like they were just painted onto the fairway as the bunker edges followed the elevation of the hills.

Overall, there are minor some design flaws, but the course provides a steady challenge for the skilled players.  Novices and intermediate players might not enjoy the many long approaches to the firm/fast greens.

University Links by pyates

My Score: 73 (+1)

University Links is set up like an Open Championship course with minimal plantings and a wide open links feel.  Almost all of the visuals on the course are the mounds that line the fairways, and the wavy-edged bunkers that dissect them.  The designer uses the Countryside theme for its yellowish natural terrain, and the coloring works extremely well.  There is some subtle flowering and use of lots of grasses, but the course isn’t going to blow you away with the planting.

The holes vary in length, and there are generally lots of options off the tee.  As a result, players will use just about every club in their bags as they make their way around.  Accuracy off the tee is a must, and players must play to the correct areas of the greens to score well here.  Birdies are tough to come by as you’ll need to make two or three excellent shots and then still need to sink a tricky putt.

Then, there are the train tracks that line an entire side of the plot and are visible on a number of holes.  The train tracks are the highlight of the course and provide a stunning visual element missing from the rest of the course.

Overall, University Links is a difficult, well thought out course that will challenge the most skilled players.  Beginners will likely struggle due to the tight landing areas, long approaches and tricky greens.  None of it is unfair – just difficult.

Promanade Park Golf Club by Antiparosjez

My Score: 62 (-10)

Promanade Park is set in the Highlands theme, but unlike most courses created in that theme, this course is almost completely flat.  Instead, the designer uses subtle elevation changes, trees and bushes to create a well planted parkland feel.  There is a lot of open space at Promanade, but there is some nice hole framing to go along with it.

The Highland theme offers lots of bushes in several shades of green – some yellowish and others tinted blue – and the designer users the native plants well.  There is some flowering throughout the course, although the look is very subtle.  The best visual element is the road that runs along the coastline, lined by classic street lightposts.  My favorite view was the drive on No. 11 where the red and white striped lighthouse was visible in the distance.  There are some buildings sprinkled throughout the course and one neighbor is in imminent danger of getting struck by even slightly wayward tee shots.

The designer uses two primary styles of bunkers – circular or oval, and many-fingered – throughout the course.  While most of the bunkers are well sculpted, some of the bunkers on the earlier holes appear quite flat.  The circular bunkers are all well done with a nice border of rough around the entire perimeter.  The many-fingered bunkers, however, often protrude into the fairway, narrowing the landing areas.  Where this is done, there is only a thin band of rough separating the bunker from the fairway.  This is a matter of taste, more than a flaw, but I didn’t like the look of these bunkers as much.

Fairways at Promanade tend to be very narrow.  On the first hole, the fairway funnels drives even slightly off-center towards the pot bunkers, further narrowing the landing area.  Finding the narrow fairway offers a significant reward for the accurate players, as there are few sidehill lies to be found.  This makes approaches to the mildly receptive greens on the easy side.  Once players adjust to the green speeds, getting approaches from the fairway to stop close to the hole is not incredibly difficult.  Plenty of birdies are out there.

Overall, the course caters to intermediate players.  Skilled players will find the flat course too easy, and novices may find the fairways a bit too narrow.  The course’s open, relaxing, walk-in-the-park feel make it a nice course for a casual round with friends.

The Copse @ Malkie Coast by Mrooola

My Score: 67 (-4)

Back to the Highlands theme with The Copse @ Malkie Coast.  Here, you’ll find the typical setup of a highlands course, although the designer didn’t make use of the available coastline.  There are lots of mounds throughout the course, and there were several exceptional plant and rock arrangements throughout the course. 

Greens are on the soft side, but they are fast.  This makes them receptive for approaches, but tricky for putting.  Pin placements are on the easy side – generally providing plenty of room in front to accommodate the roll out. 

Fairways are fair, but missing them is often penalized strongly.  Two instances I encountered were on the Par-5 8th hole and the Par-4 15th.  After missing the fairway on 8, there wasn’t a bail out area in the direction of the green.  I had to pitch out diagonally, leaving me with a long approach.  I didn’t mind this on No. 8 because it was a Par-5 and I still had a chance for birdie on what would normally be an easy birdie hole.  No. 15 wasn’t quite as nice.  The fairway on 15 only runs about 220 yards from the tee, forcing players to hit 3I.  The approach is from 180-200 yards with no fairway near the green.  When I missed the fairway, all I could do was to flop out of the rough and into the fairway and try to get up and down from 181 yards.

Overall, the course is well done, and provides a stern test for intermediate players.  The top players will likely find the course a little bit easy, but new pin placements and firmer greens would definitely provide a challenge to all players.

Barco Rio Desert GC by Coggin66

My Score: 74 (+3)

Barco Rio is a desert fantasy course, so I will review it as such. 

Players are Barco Rio are greeted by a very nice tee shot on the first hole.  To the right hand side is a creative strip of a planted bunker bordering a canal, giving the first hole a nice look.  Behind the first green is a grounded ship that appears stuck in the canyon.

The course features firm fairways that can get you into trouble if you aren’t careful, but the greens are stunningly receptive and very manageable.  Fairways are sometimes narrow, and the safe play is to club down and accept a longer approach.  The receptive greens suit the course layout quite well, although they provide a stark contrast to the firm fairways. 

Unfortunately, Barco Rio suffers cosmetically from the ugly desert theme.  The course was released prior to the implementation of texture swapping in the GNCD, so it’s unfair to criticize the designer for the unpleasant textures.  Like most desert courses, the primary method of adding visual elements is to create interesting rock formations, hills and mountains in out-of-play areas (more on this later).

The desert theme provides a very bland palette of plants, bushes and trees.  The designer doesn’t make use of the global plants to add much color to the course, so the result is a very off-white and brown environment.  Again, this is more the fault of the Desert theme than the designer, as the object meter tends to fill up quickly (more on this, also, later).

From a sculpting perspective, there could be some improvements.  Aside from the excellent and creative use of sand on the first hole, the designer doesn’t do a whole lot with the bunkers.  Hills roll through the course where a jagged look would be more exhilarating.  Normally, designers are criticized for making thinks look too unnatural, but here, the fantasy look and feel should be embraced.

Unfortunately for me, the huge canyon walls cause lots of problems with my frame rate, and I had several sub-100% shots as a result.  I hit OB once and landed in the water 3 times because of it.  On 17, I hit an 88% 7 Iron twice into the water, then slammed a full 100% 5 Iron 50 yards past the green for a round-killing 9.

Overall, the course is very playable and fair, as long as your console or PC cooperates and should be a fun fantasy round of golf for all abilities.  For me, the Desert theme with default textures misses the mark.  I think this course is a prime candidate for an update to add lush textures and some global plants to break up the onslaught of off-white because the layout is quite good.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:10:25 AM by ErixonStone »
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 01:43:01 PM »
I am sorry but i will not be completing this tour due to the joke greens on the first course..my reasons are..the first 2 holes i played as i usually do & run well past the hole into rough..thats ok live & learn..next 2 holes club down a club..still too far with wind against???   what killed me was 184 yds to pin..18 ft down..7 mph against..i took the 181 yd club...my shot went 203 yds????????

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »
I am sorry but i will not be completing this tour due to the joke greens on the first course..my reasons are..the first 2 holes i played as i usually do & run well past the hole into rough..thats ok live & learn..next 2 holes club down a club..still too far with wind against???   what killed me was 184 yds to pin..18 ft down..7 mph against..i took the 181 yd club...my shot went 203 yds????????

Thank you for giving this one a go, and thank you for the feedback.

I found I had to play most shots 10-15 yards short of the pin during my round, and even then I struggled to hold the greens.  In your case, a 5I down 6 yards with a 7 MPH tailwind should carry (181+6-11) about 175-180.  On the firm/fast greens, you probably need to land it another 8-10 yards short.  I noted this in my review of the course, and I agree with you, it doesn't make for a fun casual round.  Maybe one of the TGCT PGA Pros can give us his take.

I hope you will give the other courses a try - even if you don't complete the tour, and let us all know what you think!

The Big Kahuna Blub (Ao) features a lot of lengthy holes, fairly generous fairways, and enormous, firm, fast greens.  The combination of firm, fast greens and long-iron approaches makes it nearly impossible to stop your shot at the hole.  Most of the greens slope from back to front, meaning you’ll be faced with a lot of downhill putts if you manage to hold the green at all.  Despite the size of the greens, many approaches will roll off the back resulting in a lot of chipping and flopping.  This wasn’t just me – both of the ghost balls during my round did quite a bit of chipping from the back fringe.
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
Nice write ups man, cheers
i will....

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »

+1, very well written and detailed :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 10:40:33 PM »
+1, very well written and detailed :)

Thanks for the compliments!
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »
Forum Designers' Tour #2 has been published, featuring the full courses included in the 3-Hole Showcase #2.

Forum Designers' Tour #2
New South Flower Golf & CC by Mrooola
Jack's Bay Golf Club by Antiparosjez
The Little John East & South by Scampi00
Marazion Golf Club by pyates
The Golf Course at Blanca Plains by ErixonStone
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

Mrooola

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 02:52:30 AM »
Nice work Patrick! About the Copse regarding #15. You are spot on. If I were to change anything it would be 15 for sure.

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

New South Flower Golf & CC
The Copse @ Malkie Coast
Aij Kee Ahh Hideaway 9 Hole
Demon Host GC
Carolina Low GC
Cul de Sac GC
Unfinished Sympathy GG
Little Bird Trails
Silent Ivy Hotel, Nattavaara, SE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 07:36:50 AM »
Forum Designers' Tour #2 has been published, featuring the full courses included in the 3-Hole Showcase #2.

Forum Designers' Tour #2
New South Flower Golf & CC by Mrooola
Jack's Bay Golf Club by Antiparosjez
The Little John East & South by Scampi00
Marazion Golf Club by pyates
The Golf Course at Blanca Plains by ErixonStone

You are going a fantastic job with these.  I started this tour last night and am thoroughly enjoying it, especially since I was neck and neck with my playing companion the entire round.  This is exposing me to a lot of courses I would have missed, which would have been a shame because they have all been courses I'll be playing again!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

scampi00

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
Hey Erixion,
Don't bother reviewing your own course. I'll make sure to give you something as detailed as you've been giving everyone else.
Latest Courses
The Javelina Grand
Pumpkin Ridge
White Knuckle Beach
The Little John
Grey Raven G.C.
Saxony Golf Club

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »
You are going a fantastic job with these.  I started this tour last night and am thoroughly enjoying it, especially since I was neck and neck with my playing companion the entire round. 

Awesome!  Glad you are enjoying the tour! 

This is exposing me to a lot of courses I would have missed, which would have been a shame because they have all been courses I'll be playing again!

This is exactly our thoughts too!  There are a lot of good designers out there, so we're glad some of the lesser-known guys are getting their courses out there.  Hopefully it encourages other new designers.
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 12:39:03 AM »
Our Host Erixion has a course featured in a previous week's tour and since he has been so kind to provide reviews for all of the designers in the tournament so far, I have decided to review his course so that he receives the same effort that he's putting in, because it really is outstanding work. So...

The Woods at Staaten Ravine

The Woods at Staaten Ravine is a nicely presented course and that is a fact that is evident from the first teebox. Something I really appreciate is how consistent the course is overall. This is a "wild" course and the designer has been careful about his use of Heavy Rough to let the natural planting take over and make this a very natural and eye-pleasing course. This isn't the type of course with alot of extraneous eye-candy. Just trees and lots of wild grass and bushes to stay away from. That doesn't mean the course is boring by any means. The view on #2 is worth an 18 hole play all by itself.

Another facet of this course that really stands out to me above some others is the use of elevation change throughout the course, with many drops and hills to challenge golfers. There wasn't a single moment on the course where I felt the elevation changes were extreme or unfair, just a very mountainous course. The bunkers are smoothly sculpted and unique (I liked the goggles on #6). Not only that, but they look intimidating. Many have natural earth surrounding them or just seem really appropriately placed, enough to cause you significant worry. I didn't find too many during my round but I was also very conscious of their position which caused me to play more conservative than I might like. You won't find many flat or absurd greens here, but they are fast and you do need to be careful.

The hole design here is certainly unique with many separated fairways and detached greens, often hiding behind a row of trees though always accessible. ( 4, 7, 9 come to mind). In some cases these holes can seem a little too fantasy but the course still feels realistic.

Scorewise, I was managing a -2 until I met a deep ravine I couldn't climb out of on #15. The triple bogey I collected there brought me back over par and I never recovered.

I do have some critiques although they are minor ones and don't effect the round at all. A lot of the "edges" to this course could use some flattening such as the tee boxes and the back of the green area on the last Par 3. The edges are too sharp and it makes the graphics kind of fold on themselves like crinkled paper. Some of the fairways are on the narrow side however, this course provides plenty of options in case you don't want to go for the riskier narrow option, so that isn't the problem. I only bring it up from an aesthetics point of view. Finally, a last Aesthetic note, I would consider a slightly larger band of rough as it looks a little out of place here, although that might just be my personal opinion.

Overall, the course is a great one and wonderfully done. Go play if you have the time and have not done so already.
Nice detailed and thoughtful review... makes me want to go out and enjoy a round here
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »
A big thank you to Scampi00 who contributed a well-written, thoughtful review of my course, The Woods at Staaten Ravine.

Forum Designers’ Tour #1C

Royal St. Iona by Mav78

My Score: 64 (-8)

Royal St. Iona is set in the Highlands theme, and like many Highlands theme courses, has its share of coastal holes, cliffside holes, and canyon holes.  The designer uses the native bushes and grasses really well throughout the course, and adds a fantastic palette of pink, purple, blue, and yellow by making extensive use of the global plants.  Sculpting is very well done as well – both with the natural feel and a fantasy feel (more on this later).

Many holes offer options off the tee, and the receptive greens mean that the safe play is often the better play.  For most of the round, proper course management is prioritized over accuracy off the tee while the soft greens usually favor the shotmakers.  Your approaches will vary in length, but you can take a driver on almost every hole.  Fairways are soft, but finding a flat lie can be difficult.

For most of the round, the course feels realistic, and I really enjoyed the round.  There is a stretch of holes, however, in the middle of the round – 9, 10, 11, 12 – that felt very much like a fantasy course.  There were sharp changes in elevation and long steep slopes on the small greens that weren’t present throughout the rest of the course.  Individually, I really liked those holes too, but they didn’t fit.  I would really like to see an entire course built around those holes.

With the soft and manageable greens, and available safe areas, the course should provide a fair challenge to beginner players.  Intermediate and skilled players will likely find this course to be a little bit too easy for a competition, but perfect for a fun round of casual golf with friends.

The Woods at Staaten Ravine by ErixonStone
Review written by: Scampi00

The Woods at Staaten Ravine is a nicely presented course and that is a fact that is evident from the first teebox. Something I really appreciate is how consistent the course is overall. This is a "wild" course and the designer has been careful about his use of Heavy Rough to let the natural planting take over and make this a very natural and eye-pleasing course. This isn't the type of course with alot of extraneous eye-candy. Just trees and lots of wild grass and bushes to stay away from. That doesn't mean the course is boring by any means. The view on #2 is worth an 18 hole play all by itself.

Another facet of this course that really stands out to me above some others is the use of elevation change throughout the course, with many drops and hills to challenge golfers. There wasn't a single moment on the course where I felt the elevation changes were extreme or unfair, just a very mountainous course. The bunkers are smoothly sculpted and unique (I liked the goggles on #6). Not only that, but they look intimidating. Many have natural earth surrounding them or just seem really appropriately placed, enough to cause you significant worry. I didn't find too many during my round but I was also very conscious of their position which caused me to play more conservative than I might like. You won't find many flat or absurd greens here, but they are fast and you do need to be careful.

The hole design here is certainly unique with many separated fairways and detached greens, often hiding behind a row of trees though always accessible. (4, 7, 9 come to mind). In some cases these holes can seem a little too fantasy but the course still feels realistic.

Scorewise, I was managing a -2 until I met a deep ravine I couldn't climb out of on #15. The triple bogey I collected there brought me back over par and I never recovered.

I do have some critiques although they are minor ones and don't effect the round at all. A lot of the "edges" to this course could use some flattening such as the tee boxes and the back of the green area on the last Par 3. The edges are too sharp and it makes the graphics kind of fold on themselves like crinkled paper. Some of the fairways are on the narrow side however, this course provides plenty of options in case you don't want to go for the riskier narrow option, so that isn't the problem. I only bring it up from an aesthetics point of view. Finally, a last Aesthetic note, I would consider a slightly larger band of rough as it looks a little out of place here, although that might just be my personal opinion.

Overall, the course is a great one and wonderfully done. Go play if you have the time and have not done so already.

Designer’s note: The reviewer noted the green speed in the review above.  I should point out that the green speed is definitely not fast (127 max putt length), but the firmness is dialed all the way up.

Horned Viper GC by BoomBoom (Gold Tees) by BoomBoom

My Score: 73 (E)

Horned Viper GC is one of my favorite courses in the game.  A Delta-themed course, “The Snake” covers up a lot of the bleach-white natural terrain with grasses and superb planting and rock work.  There are a number of eye-catching visual elements on every hole, but unique throughout the course.  The Delta theme provides a very narrow palette of deep green trees and bushes up against the stark white terrain.  The designer does an excellent job bringing in yellows, browns, pinks, purples and blues to add much needed pizzazz.  Sculpting work is very well done across all the elements – hills, greens, rock piles, fairways, rough and bunkers.  And, then there is the beach flanking the final holes – an awesome surprise waiting for the golfers as they close their rounds.

Fairways at Horned Viper are generous, but finding a flat lie is rare and the greens are fast and tricky.  Finding an area that puts you in position for birdie is both necessary and difficult.  There are options off the tee on most holes, and the length of your approaches will vary over the course of your round.

Putting on the undulating greens requires extra care thanks to the maxed-out green speed.  Downhill putts and chips run a high risk of rolling well past the cup.  Still, birdies are out there if you can execute your approaches.

The Gold Tees version of this course provides a stern challenge for intermediate players, and a fun round for the skilled players.  Beginners will probably be frustrated by the difficult greens.

The Links @ Inverness Point by nickweis

My Score: 76 (+5)

The Links @ Inverness Point is set up as a championship course and has an interesting, natural layout.  The fairways are slightly narrow and most approaches will be with long irons or fairway woods.  With the firm and fast greens, you’ll need to get as far down the fairway as possible, which means challenging the narrow landing areas quite often.  Inaccurate drives are penalized severely as there isn’t a first cut of rough.

The firm and fast greens were difficult to hold with the many long approaches, and many of them sloped sharply near the edges.  One particular pitch carried 53 yards and rolled 27 more up the hill, resulting in a 21 foot putt down 7 inches.  Another 6-iron shot landed 15 yards before the pin and caught a slope and rolled through the green and down the hill to the collection area.  Of particular note is the banana-shaped green at #14.  The green only measures about 30 feet in depth.  I landed in the fairway in front of the pin and rolled through the green.  The alternative was to play to one of the sides and hope the slope guides the ball towards the pin.  I tried that in a previous round and was left with a very long putt.

The designer does a nice job using the native plants and grasses to give the course a natural look and feel, but the course doesn’t overwhelm you with beauty.  Sculpting all around the course is excellent, providing a very realistic look with lots of smooth rolling hills and finely done bunkers. 

One peculiar attribute of the course is that the designer chose the light rough surface to create the tee boxes.  For me, the contrast between the light and heavy rough didn’t clearly define a tee area, and had some nasty side effects.  Because of the rough tee boxes, the default club off every tee was a 3-iron which meant switching clubs prior to every drive.  The other side effect had a significant impact: altering the shot in any way – adding loft or applying draw or fade – would produce erratic drives, often shooting off target by several yards.  This cost me a number of strokes throughout the round as there were some heavy winds for a fair portion of it.

This course is designed to challenge the best TGC golfers out there, and by that standard, it certainly achieves its goal.  For intermediate players, this course is difficult in the best of conditions. 
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

jeremyholme@btinternet.com

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
Thank you for including some of my courses, I'm flattered. Maybe one day they'll get enough plays for a handicap.
Enjoy your thorough and thoughtful reviews, good work.
West Country, Reculver Heritage, Winchelsea Saxon Downs Wessex Heath Power Station White Rocks Kernow Cliffs Sandyhurst Lakes Trinity North Kernow Gull Rock Kings Wood, West Foreland

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:40 AM »
Forum Designers' Tour #3 has been published, featuring the full courses included in the 3-Hole Showcase #3.

Forum Designers' Tour #3
Glen Abbey GC (White Tees) by BoomBoom
Mayan Ring of Sacrifice Thursday by gerardfraser
Mahogany Rustic National by set my path
Nook Hill Saturday by JRuckles
Three Rivers GC by UrsusArctos
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses: