Bethpage State Park Black Course

• 122 Replies

BoomBoom

« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2016, 12:15:56 PM »
There are no cart paths (or carts allowed) - if you're seeing any concrete that's a road for utility vehicles.

On Mondays when the course is closed and they work on ahole there about about 75 people and 20-30 vehicles - they all attack that hole then move on to the next.  It's really quite amazing.

The Maintenance budget for the Black is out of this world.

The funny thing about the property... people will get confused at this polo area that's off the blue course and end up driving on what they think is a road but is really a wide cart path - we had a lady pull up next to us as we were teeing off asking for directions lol

"I think I'm lost" "yeah you are" lol

This brought back a memory. I was playing some course here in Ontario, name eludes me but, we were asked to wait in the fairway for a few minutes while 50 people attacked the green. It was like the 7 inning stretch. They aerated, filled the holes with sand or something, swept up the junk, blasted the green with fire hoses, squeegeed up the water, and all that in about 3 minutes. By the time we reached the green the holes had all but mostly disappeared.   The course where I'm a member they close for 2 days in the fall and the holes are just starting to go away the following July.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »
Back before it was refurbed, as an in-state resident you could play the Black course for $8.  The conditions were not like it is today but of course the design was the same.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
Back before it was refurbed, as an in-state resident you could play the Black course for $8.  The conditions were not like it is today but of course the design was the same.

Ridiculous deal

We pay out of state each summer so it's $129 a round and I slap em my debit cart without even thinking :)

That's STILL the best value in golf

$8 would have been like stealing
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

TeeJay0218

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
Appreciate your work Boom.
PGA Tour Founder/President
Playstation 4's Premier Sim Society!
Play the way the pros do, green grids and scout cam off.

BoomBoom

« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
Up to personal preference of course, but you may want to avoid some of these bunkers.

Looks pretty bad A-ss from in it, but from the tee it looks like any other bunker not to be feared.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 12:45:56 PM by BoomBoom »
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

Royce

« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2016, 05:02:46 PM »
Love love love those bunkers, exceptional contouring work. 

I'm going to have to pick your brain when my Oakland Hills South is at elevation stage (probably 2-3 weeks away still), you do some of the best/most natural looking elevations in the game IMO.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

TeeJay0218

« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2016, 07:11:31 PM »
Whenever you need a beta tester... 8)
PGA Tour Founder/President
Playstation 4's Premier Sim Society!
Play the way the pros do, green grids and scout cam off.

rdh

« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2016, 08:22:49 PM »
And sign me up to suffer as a beta tester for the protee version...  :)

BoomBoom

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2016, 10:10:41 PM »
And sign me up to suffer as a beta tester for the protee version...  :)
I want to ask you about that. If I emailed the file to you and you publish it's only available then on that platform alone right? I'm not concerned about my name being attached to that version.

I plan on releasing only 1 version of this course, later if selected for an event a multi-tee, multi-pin will be released then. Plans can change, but for now that is what I was thinking.

BPB is all about challenge.

I don't mean to exclude anyone from playing this great track, but after a few hundred hours of work on this I'm completely in the head of the original designer and karma is a bi-tch, not our karma, the other karma.

There will be no beta, sorry, it will be perfect first time out of the gate.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2016, 10:18:37 PM »
Fun fact for those who have not been there

There are 5 courses... a pro shop, a snack bar, and a cashier/payment center

When you play the black you get a bracelet like one of those you get if you get admitted to a hospital.  You don't take it off until it's your tee time and the starter cuts it off your wrist.

Right behind that sign is the tee box - one thing you don't do, ever, is put your bag on said tee box.  If you do the starter will go nuts screaming profanities all over the place lol.

Every other tee box?  no problem but not that one.

I almost wanna show this pic to the guy.

If you haven't been, and love golf, and are able to physically walk the 8 miles (they do have caddies) over incredibly hilly terrain... you owe it to yourself to play The Black.

It's the best public golf course in America imo.

And one of the 10 best public or private

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2016, 10:22:44 PM »
I hate posting this pic of 8 because Boom is gonna realize he's got the trees wrong by the green and then get the chainsaw out :)

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2016, 12:53:54 AM »
I hate posting this pic of 8 because Boom is gonna realize he's got the trees wrong by the green and then get the chainsaw out :)
I actually have already moved those trees on the left. I noticed that myself in the billion photos I have. So far I'm just plunking down most trees with the trace method. Not sure why since I keep back and changing, but it's just my weird little process I do. You are right, I do however need to move a bunch as they are in the way as they are a little bigger than real. Still a work in progress here.  I like your photo because I realise just how close my sculpting is. The green side tree, I blended the 2 elm trees to give the split trunk look.  Yeah it's not an elm, but I have a split trunk. :) The elms were the only trees that would allow that. I hit a bunch of shots all over the place at that tree, I think it plays pretty real. There is an overhanging limb that stretches a little further out then I would prefer, but so far I was unable to hit it. I think it's good, I like the split trunk that I was able to capture there. But I don't want the limb to be an issue, so it could still change.

You can keep the photos coming feel free. Google earth pro has a couple hundred photos, plus I have WGT to help with their million photos. Right now I'm hyper focussed on getting the holes in, the elevations, the bunkers and the mounding. Bunkers so far are taking the most time. Photos do this thing no justice, but I am able to measure the bunker depths and I'm trying to get those right and look OK. Its pain staking work, but I am in no hurry at all here. Trees are mostly in but adjustments are required and on the list.

I'm really liking how this is shaping up.

I have laid out a plan now to take me to completion, the object bar is worrying, only thing using it so far is trees, I have not planted a blade of grass, well I did but I removed it, only grass I can use is anything generated, I'm not going to have room for any planting. I'm also going to need the generated trees as well.

The finish line is in sight, I would think I'm about 60% done here.

Here's a shot of 15 to keep the interest going.

Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
15 looks really good.  You've got the sense of slope right. 

That's what "normal" people don't get right when they do these things.  They look at a pic and just try to recreate it.  You're looking a bit deeper.

I would never wanna take anything like this on but I admire you guys who do that really insist on getting it as close as possible.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »

That's what "normal" people don't get right when they do these things.  They look at a pic and just try to recreate it.  You're looking a bit deeper.

I would never wanna take anything like this on but I admire you guys who do that really insist on getting it as close as possible.

Better to go by the numbers than by the pictures to begin and then mold it into the picture look without sacrificing authenticity.

BoomBoom

« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2016, 09:49:15 PM »

Better to go by the numbers than by the pictures to begin and then mold it into the picture look without sacrificing authenticity.
Bingo, exactly my secret here.  You notice the mound left of the top left bunker, see the bunker left of the green, all the little details that change the hole completely. Just making that bunker barely visible is important to that view.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

space-cash