Bethpage State Park Black Course

• 122 Replies

rdh

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
I'm on the fckn ledge man! You know I tried, did I get it 100% no, could I no. I get this should slope back to front, I think shi-t, that's a pretty significant miss, I go in a check and it is sloping back to front, I think WTF.  I get this should have a ledge, I have a 3 inch incline, real is 4-5, I get the green is tilted backwards, I think crap, I go and look, I missed a 2 inch hump, the general tilt is fine.

It's crazy, people have these straka line apps on their iPhone and if they get a 35 foot putt they know precisely real is a 6 inch down slope, if you have 4 or 14, you fcked up.

I lost all interest in having that conversation when I went and spent an hour trying to add an insignificant hump and not then have it fck up the general break of the green.

I get some greens have famous breaks, like 2 on Augusta, 2 CO or 5 members on Glen Abbey you need to get right, but little insignificant ones on other greens, I think WHO G-A-S as long as you get them generally right it should be good enough.

I can't get real to that level of detail, well maybe I could but it would take more than a year for me, and for the course to get played a few times and forgotten, Ok I know I'm crazy, but that would be loony bin material.

It's a real loss to all of us if someone hung up on nitpicking the details drives you away from doing these.  I hope you'll weigh the positive feedback and praise from the rest of us above what you're getting on the other side.  I'll never worry about a few inches here or there...all that matters to me is that it's clearly the course layout, and that it's good and playable (especially on the simulator).  Your work fits that bill so I love what you've done...so thank you again!

BoomBoom

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
For the record in case someone is curious - it was not me

The only RCR releases I've ever been critical of are Collin's (for obvious reasons)

You should reconsider... you'd do the Black proud

No worries I stated earlier it was not directed at anyone in the thread.

I'll finish Riviera 2 more tees and pins, and think about this for a while. THX Guys, I'm now sitting on the ledge.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

BoomBoom

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:18 AM »
Off the ledge, back in the window.

Learned a few things over the course of the last 2 builds, do the accurate layout first, can be a pain trying to jam things in there at the end.

Ignore the scorecard yardages, still need to adjust those to final accuracy.

Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

ks-man

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 11:35:35 AM »
Incredible news BoomBoom!!!

What theme is that?  Can't wait to see how you try and do the warning sign

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
Off the ledge, back in the window.

Learned a few things over the course of the last 2 builds, do the accurate layout first, can be a pain trying to jam things in there at the end.

Ignore the scorecard yardages, still need to adjust those to final accuracy.

It's your party but that looks like it's gonna leave very little room for a clubhouse behind 1/18

There's a putting green then the back of the clubhouse

And an angry middle eastern starter who basically yells at everyone who's playing the black course lol

I've seen new yorkers tell him to go F himself on more than one occasiona lol

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

rdh

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 11:46:13 AM »
And you'd darn well better get every green contour correct down to the inch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomBoom

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 12:50:48 PM »

It's your party but that looks like it's gonna leave very little room for a clubhouse behind 1/18

And an angry middle eastern starter who basically yells at everyone who's playing the black course lol

You are right, 3000 yards had to be squeezed in to run the proper layout. Exact same issue I had with Riviera and I had to extend the plot but I learned this time though.  No green complexes on land border this time, I will extend the land plot for the Clubhouse. All planned out here.

The theme is delta for the design phase only, much easier for me to trace with a white background and old blurry eyes. No decision has been made or contemplated for the theme yet, although it plays on tour in the near fall, so you never know. And I have to admit I'm being swayed by this picture.

Still way to early in the process to start thinking theme though.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 12:54:33 PM »

You are right, 3000 yards had to be squeezed in to run the proper layout. Exact same issue I had with Riviera and I had to extend the plot but I learned this time though.  No green complexes on land border this time, I will extend the land plot for the Clubhouse. All planned out here.

The theme is delta for the design phase only, much easier for me to trace with a white background and old blurry eyes. No decision has been made or contemplated for the theme yet, although it plays on tour in the near fall, so you never know. And I have to admit I'm being swayed by this picture.

Still way to early in the process to start thinking theme though.

That hole was the first birdie on the black - and it came after I power slammed 2 gatorades in about 10 seconds because we forgot to eat breakfast and I was getting light headed.

Somehow hit it about 270 in the fairway then hit a laser 7 iron to 3" - next time I played it I made an 8 because I tried cutting some of the third world country like junk on the left side lol

A 3 then an 8... that's what the black does to you

People that have never been don't even realize how difficult it is just to walk the thing let alone play too.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »

Crappy WGT is being my friend, and I now have my own app for that and google earth pro.

Cant think of any reason why I can't get this close. I might have some water table issues, nothing I have not mastered hiding with all the practice I got with Glen Abbey. I had 285 feet of elevation and water table issues there that I managed to hide, this should be a cake walk as there is not that much water here.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

Crappy WGT is being my friend, and I now have my own app for that and google earth pro.

Cant think of any reason why I can't get this close. I might have some water table issues, nothing I have not mastered hiding with all the practice I got with Glen Abbey. I had 285 feet of elevation and water table issues there that I managed to hide, this should be a cake walk as there is not that much water here.

There's only water on one hole - shouldn't be a problem

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 05:03:07 PM »
Just completed most of the first hole today. Did a little planting in harvest to have a peak. May have to stick with this theme as it has the grass I need.

I may have to get a bit more creative for the tunnel, we'll see how it goes.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:09:04 PM by BoomBoom »
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
green and bunkers look really good - I'd not even mess with the tunnel if I were you can't actually see it until you're almost ready to walk under it.

You know something that would be cool... run the first hole of the green to the right of #1 black.  They're almost the same hole but you can just tell from 200 yards away one gets the better turf grass management lol

I'm happy to give feedback if you want or I'll shut up... I've put 8 rounds in there the last 4 years.  We drive 12 hours to play there.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

ks-man

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »
In my opinion, the view from the first tee where all you see is the hard right turn is one of the most iconic and intimidating views in all of golf.  The first time I stood on that tee as around an 18 handicap all I could think is "what the hell am I getting myself into".  I'm very excited to see how this course turns out. 

The view from the tee on 4 and actually hitting your second (or third) trying to cross that bunker is no slouch either.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:07:49 AM by ks-man »

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
In my opinion, the view from the first tee where all you see is the hard right turn is one of the most iconic and intimidating views in all of golf.  The first time I stood on that tee as around an 18 handicap all I could think is "what the hell am I getting myself into".  I'm very excited to see how this course turns out.

And you can rip it 260 right down the middle of that fairway and... be blocked by the trees lol

I actually take it over the trees there but only pull it off about half the time.  I still think standing on 10 tee and not seeing a fairway anywhere is a tougher "visual"

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

ks-man

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 09:14:35 AM »
Just saw this quote over at breakingeighty.com and thought it was hilarious.  He's referring to the fourth hole.

"I took a 9 on this hole and was pretty sure my round was over afterwards. It was also about this time that I decided Tillinghast must have been a total dick."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:16:33 AM by ks-man »

space-cash