Bethpage State Park Black Course

• 122 Replies

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 09:29:56 AM »
Just saw this quote over at breakingeighty.com and thought it was hilarious.  He's referring to the fourth hole.

"I took a 9 on this hole and was pretty sure my round was over afterwards. It was also about this time that I decided Tillinghast must have been a total dick."

lol

Where else but this course, specifically #4, do you only need 150 yards to carry a cross bunker while laying up and you're scared out of your shoes that you won't clear it lol

The visual intimidation is something unlike anywhere else I've played and I've played many of the top courses in the world.  His bunker work there is the best there is... period.

many players will play the par 4's differently... lay up to around 60 yards away after 2... then try to hit it close and 2 putt for bogey.  But there's always a nasty bunker you have to carry and if you don't nip it just right it's a triple right in your face.

It's brutally difficult and I can't wait to do it again :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:07:24 AM by ADX321 »
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 09:31:01 AM »
green and bunkers look really good - I'd not even mess with the tunnel if I were you can't actually see it until you're almost ready to walk under it.

You know something that would be cool... run the first hole of the green to the right of #1 black.  They're almost the same hole but you can just tell from 200 yards away one gets the better turf grass management lol

I'm happy to give feedback if you want or I'll shut up... I've put 8 rounds in there the last 4 years.  We drive 12 hours to play there.
I see that hole and definitely was planning on the dummy hole. I did not know which hole it was but because it is in such clear view and so close, I was planning a dummy hole there, 18 and the green behind the 17th green as well. Once I put 2 in there is enough background for 1, I agree I don't need the tunnel.

I appreciate your feed back.

Building this thing I can really see and appreciate the original designer thinking. I'm only building the 3rd at the moment, but the tee shots on 1 and 2 are really cool and can be really hard or really easy and is completely up to the golfer.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »
green and bunkers look really good - I'd not even mess with the tunnel if I were you can't actually see it until you're almost ready to walk under it.

You know something that would be cool... run the first hole of the green to the right of #1 black.  They're almost the same hole but you can just tell from 200 yards away one gets the better turf grass management lol

I'm happy to give feedback if you want or I'll shut up... I've put 8 rounds in there the last 4 years.  We drive 12 hours to play there.
I see that hole and definitely was planning on the dummy hole. I did not know which hole it was but because it is in such clear view and so close, I was planning a dummy hole there, 18 and the green behind the 17th green as well. Once I put 2 in there is enough background for 1, I agree I don't need the tunnel.

I appreciate your feed back.

Building this thing I can really see and appreciate the original designer thinking. I'm only building the 3rd at the moment, but the tee shots on 1 and 2 are really cool and can be really hard or really easy and is completely up to the golfer.

2 looks like a simple hole... but you can miss the fairway by a foot and not see your ball and even if you do the green is a good 50 feet above the fairway and you can't even see the surface of the green only the flag!

3 is a nice bit of relief until the toughest 2nd shot you will ever face at #4

The place is just special... anyone who loves golf that can do it should be there.  If you go in the summer you can usually just walk right in we've never had to camp out etc.

In fact we go to play the red sometimes and can't get on but the black had 6 times open lol

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »
Takes someone special to call 3 a bit of a relief. But I build from the back tees so presently testing the hole from that tee.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »
May have to stick with this theme as it has the grass I need.

Either that or write down all the grass #'s for Harvest and use them in a different theme.
The Highlands course I'm currently making has all the Boreal grasses and bunkers.
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:24:14 AM »
Takes someone special to call 3 a bit of a relief. But I build from the back tees so presently testing the hole from that tee.

Only in the sense that the green is huge - you feel like if you can lag it well no matter what you do it's gonna be a par.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 11:44:12 AM »
3's down. Starting work on 4.  Just so you know I'm not slacking here, here's a couple pics to keep you going.

Real:

My Real:

Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
Looks good

If there was ever a hole that said "draw it in here" that one is it

I once saw a scratch golfer friend of mine 4 jack it from 3" off the green in the back.  there's a slope there and a middle pin chip that doesn't go far enough will roll back to you... and it did him twice :)

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 01:02:19 PM »

Either that or write down all the grass #'s for Harvest and use them in a different theme.
The Highlands course I'm currently making has all the Boreal grasses and bunkers.
TY for this, I always never consider highlands as an option, but it is an option.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

rdh

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 02:02:35 PM »
Highlands has a great selection of trees/plants.  The tradeoff is limited choice on the backdrops that often don't suit RCRs so the backdrop needs to be blocked from view as much as possible in those cases.

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 02:56:13 PM »

TY for this, I always never consider highlands as an option, but it is an option.

I wasn't suggesting Highlands. I was suggesting that if you really liked the grass textures of Harvest, write down what #'s they are and use those for Bethpage Black.
The current course I'm making is a Highlands course, but I really like the Boreal grass colors, so I wrote them down, as well as the bunkers and switched it.

Themes nowadays are only two things since we can mix & match:
Backdrops & certain elements you need for your course.
The backdrops are obvious.
But for the elements, you have to pick what's important to you.
Want coniferous trees? Don't pick Countryside.
Want it to be fall? You have to pick Harvest/Autumn.

The course I'm working on, I really wanted 3 things: all those yellow/red/orange bushes,  the purple flower grasses, and coniferous trees; so I had to pick Highlands. The bad news is it's supposed to be an inland course, and Highlands backdrops all have at least one coastline.
What was more important to me backdrops or elements? The elements won out and I'm having to make a fake mountainside to block the coastline. Not ideal, but I got my bushes/grasses/coniferous trees.

So basically, what you should do, IMO, is see what you really want in Bethpage Black. What kind of trees or backdrops, etc and go from there since you can change all the textures anyways.

My vote is rustic, as it gives rolling hills (I think) as a backdrop and plenty of tree options, deciduous/coniferous.

Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

Royce

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
Rustic is great....if only the trees weren't so gigantic, which they'd allow downscaling of tree sizes, would really help the look of rustic courses.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

rdh

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »
I'm hoping the downscaling is added in the March update...fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomBoom

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »
I like rustic the best, it's just getting some bad press around here.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

rdh

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 06:52:58 PM »
I'm so glad you came back off the ledge.

space-cash