54-Hole Resort Course (Now w/ Pics!)

• 18 Replies

Jivesinator

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 01:27:31 AM »
Ok so on the bunkers in your third course make sure that they're the depth that you want; when you place a bunker brush that has scale x and y on it the game automatically makes it much deeper than it should be. Nice looking trio of courses.

Yeah, skewing the x/y definitely does some nasty things to the bunker elevation. I have smoothed it out a bit, to the point where most fairway bunkers are 2-5 feet in depth. I know this is a lot, but in the same sense I like it for a couple reasons. First, as you can probably see from the screens, there are some very generous landing areas on this course. When there isn't, there is either no bunker affecting play or it is a risk/reward short hole. So these bunkers are set up to be true defenses for the course and should be very penal. Also, in my effort to make each course unique, I feel it is fitting to introduce a different bunker style than used on the other two courses (where there was no x/y manipulation).

Yeah as I said make sure it isn't doing anything you don't want it to do. Too many good designers (i.e. just about everyone that isn't considered "elite") get in the habit of staying in their comfort zone so it's definitely good for you to get in the mindset of making each course look like a different architect made it. Just make sure the bunkers on the third one aren't sloped to the point of being unplayable.
Stupid is as stupid does. I does stupid. I is stupid.

Gcthunder

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »
Ok so on the bunkers in your third course make sure that they're the depth that you want; when you place a bunker brush that has scale x and y on it the game automatically makes it much deeper than it should be. Nice looking trio of courses.

Yeah, skewing the x/y definitely does some nasty things to the bunker elevation. I have smoothed it out a bit, to the point where most fairway bunkers are 2-5 feet in depth. I know this is a lot, but in the same sense I like it for a couple reasons. First, as you can probably see from the screens, there are some very generous landing areas on this course. When there isn't, there is either no bunker affecting play or it is a risk/reward short hole. So these bunkers are set up to be true defenses for the course and should be very penal. Also, in my effort to make each course unique, I feel it is fitting to introduce a different bunker style than used on the other two courses (where there was no x/y manipulation).

Yeah as I said make sure it isn't doing anything you don't want it to do. Too many good designers (i.e. just about everyone that isn't considered "elite") get in the habit of staying in their comfort zone so it's definitely good for you to get in the mindset of making each course look like a different architect made it. Just make sure the bunkers on the third one aren't sloped to the point of being unplayable.

I hear you. Realism and playability are incredibly important to me, so I am going to make sure that the courses play fair. Hopefully I'll be ready to launch by the end of the year  :)
Courses Designed:
Foxen Canyon Golf Course
Coachella Valley Golf Course

PithyDoctorG

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 02:22:09 AM »
All 3 courses look fantastic. Can't wait to play them!
TGC2 Designs:

Twin Canyons Golf Club
The Aventinus Club
West Neck Golf Links

Gcthunder

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »
All 3 courses look fantastic. Can't wait to play them!

Thank you! They are really coming along, although the planting is so tedious. It's such a waiting game every time I plant a single bush. And based on the look I am going for, I'm really only using multi-plant for grass.
Courses Designed:
Foxen Canyon Golf Course
Coachella Valley Golf Course

space-cash