My First Design - Clayton Wood Golf Club

• 18 Replies

LinksLover

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 03:44:57 AM »
I have 12 holes designed. :)

Rounding off the front nine are the par 3 8th. The course artisans have worked hard around this tee with rows of flowers to make it pleasing on the eye. The hole plays slightly downhill to quite a large green though there is a small spur to the back left and if the pin is up there it is tricky.

The 9th plays over a long, thin pond that doesn't come into play up to a sloped fairway. You cross the 18th fairway with your second shot. With a well placed tee shot this hole offers a decent chance at birdie.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:47:48 AM by LinksLover »
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2 & 2019 port)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

LinksLover

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 03:49:14 AM »
The first three holes on the back nine play in the middle of the front nine loop.

Number 10 is a long par 4. While the hole slopes towards the water on the right you do have to push your tee shot a long way right to find it. Bushes and bunkers lurk left. The biggest defence on this hole is the length. It's quite straight forward as nothing is hidden.

The 11th is a bunkerless par 4. Although short, the fairway is one of the narrower fairways on the course and slopes right. There are a number of bushes in front of the small, tricky green. At first glance the hole looks easy, but there are a lot of subtleties to navigate.

A short par 3 is next with a number of bunkers ready to gobble balls. It is also a tiered green so it is vital you are on the correct side of the slope to have a decent chance of birdie.

I have my remaining six holes mapped out, now I just have to create them. I'm pleased with my progress, especially as it is my first course. :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:56:11 AM by LinksLover »
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

LinksLover

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
Right, I have finished designing all of my holes. :)
However, I still have to finish adding in the little details - practice area, car park, access road, greenkeeper shed etc.
I also have a problem. I have put down all my directional signs, including three for the 10th tee. However, I have noticed that some of them have changed without my input. For example one of the signs for the 1st tee now for some reason says 17th tee. It looks like I shall have to delete them all and put them all back down again. :(

Anyway, here are previews of the closing six holes...

The 13th starts a run of three holes going through the densest woodland on the course. A long par 4 with a blind tee shot, it is imperative you keep it in the corridor of trees or you will find it very difficult to get a clear shot out. The hole does have quite a generous width fairway so a slightly loose shot won't be punished.

The 14th is a hole unique to Clayton Wood. The white and blue tees give you three options from the tee. The right hand fairway plays the hole at it's full length - a near 500 yards par 4. However you will find a very generous fairway here, which in places is up to 50 yards wide. A driver is definitely needed from the tee unless you have a strong tail wind. This fairway also offers the easiest angle to approach the green.
The left hand fairway shortens the hole by something in the region of 60-70 yards. This fairway though is much narrower - only about 18-20 yards wide though most players will be hitting a mid iron approach as opposed to a long iron or hybrid.
Up the middle is the shortest route and plays over 100 yards shorter than the right hand approach. However, the fairway here is very narrow at only 12-15 yards so accuracy is paramount if you choose this route.
Personally I am very proud of this hole. I originally only intended for the left and right fairway but late on I decided to add a third middle fairway. It gives the player choice and plenty to think about from the tee, and no doubt wind will play a factor when the course gets published.

The 15th is the last hole through the dense woodland. At a shade over 400 yards it is considerably shorter on the card than the last two holes and a steep downhill fairway will feed balls to the end of it. Think carefully though as the further down the fairway you go, the less you will see of the green for the second shot.

PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

LinksLover

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 02:49:17 PM »
The 16th sees a reachable par 5. A good drive will leave the player with three choices - do you go for the green in two and a possible eagle chance? Do you play to the fairway to the left of the green for a relatively straight forward pitch into the green? Or do you lay up short of the water and get on safely in three?

The 17th is the toughest par 3 on the course. It's long at 242 yards with a large pond nestling just off the left hand side of the green. Only a great tee shot will see a chance of a birdie here.

Finally we have the grandstand finish. A long par 4 a fraction over 500 yards with the green right in front of the clubhouse. The hole is pretty straight forward. It's biggest defence is it's length.

I'm hoping to add all the little bits and publish it at the weekend. I'm pretty proud of what I've done as this is my first ever go at designing a course on anything other than a piece of paper!
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

space-cash