Performance goals?

• 16 Replies

matt

« on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:47 PM »
Performance - specifically uneven/slow framerate, screen tearing, graphics pop-in - in TGC1 was initially very bad, and improved only slightly with the patch.

What are HB's performance goals for TGC2?

Ideally it would be 60fps and no screen tearing.

Hopefully Unity 5 will help with this?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:44:06 AM by matt »

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 10:09:04 PM »
Performance - specifically uneven/slow framerate, screen tearing, graphics pop-in - in TGC1 was initially very bad, and improved only slightly with the patch.

What are your performance goals for TGC2?

Ideally it would be 60fps and no screen tearing.

Hopefully Unity 5 will help with this?

i never had any issues with performance in tgc 1, so thats my goal with 2.

but i do wish they optimize the game better in terms of grasses and tree's, those are the only things from letting me crank the settings as high as they go for some/most courses.   though, i could do this with other courses in themes such as desert and links, tree's are a real resource hog within tgc 1
i will....

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »
After experimenting a lot with graphics and resolution settings on the PC version, I've come to the following conclusions concerning what my minimum performance standards would be for The Golf Club 2.

>39 FPS @1080p/High Graphics Detail, >600 Quality Trees, >940 yard quality Tree Distance, Object Detail at 2, or higher.  I need to mention two more obscure settings that I've never gotten an official answer on their actual setting for the console versions: Anisotropic Filtering and Anti-Aliasing. What works great for me on the PC, and you can really see the fruits of it on the PC version, is 8X-AF, 4X-MSAA.  The console versions need to have these settings as high as they can go and still meet the requirements I mentioned in the first sentence.  Probably something more on the order of 4X-AF and 2X-MSAA would be required to make that possible.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

liquidsnake000

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 05:45:43 PM »
its the main reason I cant be bothered with pc gaming, way too much messing around trying to find settings for the games all the time.
bring on 2019 tgc.

matt

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 08:19:58 PM »
For what it's worth I'm on PS4 and the performance of TGC1 is really not very good.

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »
Thats the reason why i do pc gaming' to me consoles are whats actualy holding game development back due to there hardware constraints.I like pushing a game to max and seeing what fps i get then slitghtly decreasing whatever it may be just to get that sweet spot of a constant 60 or higher fps.My daughter has an Xbone and she has a few games that i have on pc' the difference between the two is huge.I originaly was a huge console guy myself until about 10yrs ago when i went to a mates house and started playing p.c games.The first one was counter strike and after i got my 1st p.c' iv'e never touched a console since.

But I was realy glad to see MS and Sony pushing newer and better models out and the with Scorpio even happier' it means better games for pc aswel.This is not a pissing contest saying which is better it's just that i wished and happy now that they are not waiting 7-8 years between newer versions.I think now that 2-3 years max between new consoles should be the way to try and keep current with games developers.
Lian Li 011 Dynamic Case
i9 9900k 4.5Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H150i Pro RGB(AIO)
Aorus Master Z390 m-board
16Gb Corsair Pro Vengeance RGB Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

liquidsnake000

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 10:41:08 AM »
I,m just about to build myself another rig because this one is out of the Jurassic period, what card have you got in yours jim.
bring on 2019 tgc.

Thrangar

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:16 AM »
Shadows on tress or shadows on shadows(is that possible) really killed my fps hopefully this is addressed

But first HB must address the alt tab frame killer, that was/is infuriating to deal with >:(
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »
I,m just about to build myself another rig because this one is out of the Jurassic period, what card have you got in yours jim.

I'm running the MSI gtx 980 ti, fantastic card still a bit pricey though.can run most games 60fps or over and usualy ultra settings' can't remember what settings i have on tgc at the moment but i have that running at a steady 60 fps it will dip sometimes but only by a couple of frames here and there.Usualy in a flyover or sometimes on a delta course for some reason.I had the 970 ti before that and that is a great card also' i still believe that the 970 was the best card out for price vs performance.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:26:01 PM by Jimgem »
Lian Li 011 Dynamic Case
i9 9900k 4.5Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H150i Pro RGB(AIO)
Aorus Master Z390 m-board
16Gb Corsair Pro Vengeance RGB Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 02:01:08 PM »
its the main reason I cant be bothered with pc gaming, way too much messing around trying to find settings for the games all the time.

The finding proper settings phase for optimum performance/appearance is one I enjoy for a while, as I'm a tweaker at heart.  I usually have found the settings I want before my desire to get there runs out.  I find that I only do this with a handful of games though, and they tend to either be golf or racing games.  I haven't touched my TGC settings on my PC since 2 months after getting my Geforce GTX 960 card late last spring, and I'm content that my 40-45 FPS @ 1080p and reasonably high detail is giving me all it can.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

bob5453

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »

The Geforce Experience will auto optimize a lot of popular games to your system. This is a great feature, but no TGC on it. :) Here's a list of the games it supports.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/supported-games
My TGC 2k21 courses
The Big Valley
Roy Rogers Happy Trails
Gilligan's Island Par 3
Magestic Mountain

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

hammers1man

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Play this game in 1440 with two 970's in sli, when I get it working it never drops below 65 fps. Problem is every time lately when I update drivers have problem getting it to start, ordered a 1080 so game should run nicely. Does anyone run this game in 4k?

hammers1man

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 03:08:51 PM »
But if you put the effort in you get a much better experience on pc than consoles, smoother gameplay makes a massive difference. If you have a problem with low fps on certain courses in this game on consoles, you can always lower your settings to get it running smoothly on pc, you don't have that choice on consoles. This game looks fantastic in 1440p can't imagine how good it looks in 4K

BeamerCA

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »
I was a pc snob for years, but with the release of the PS3 I saw the light
No more mucking with settings and drivers, updating hardware every 6
months and trying to have the top machine. Can't even phantom
how much money I have saved in 10 years. Frame rate is fine on the 4
Courses designed :
Richards Pond Delta Golf Course
Statton Hills CC
The Clowns Nest (Morning )
Lil Fry 81
Borderlands Golf
Hide Away Golf Course
Richards Pond Country Clu

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 02:11:49 AM »
I agree, frame rate is more then adequate on the ps4.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

space-cash