A question about trees......

• 12 Replies

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« on: August 03, 2016, 11:24:45 AM »
I have a question for Anthony, Keith, and The Devs.........  I know it's been talked about with resizing, but will we have the ability to ROTATE trees and shrubs in TGC2 ?  This would be HUGE !!!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:35:22 AM »
I don't believe that will be possible but Paul would be able to confirm.

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
I don't want to say for sure since I do want to find a good solution to this problem, but its not looking good based on the amount of time I have available. 

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »
Hmmm?  Just curious here, but being that this was available in the course creator on TW way back in 2003? I think.....  With the upgrades in technology I'm wondering why it wouldn't be do-able now?
This would be a better option than more trees and shrubs because of the versatility.  Also, making all trees and shrubs global would be great too.
I'm not trying to be a pain, just really curious about this stuff.......  Thanks !
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

HB_Paul

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 02:19:05 PM »
Hmmm?  Just curious here, but being that this was available in the course creator on TW way back in 2003? I think.....  With the upgrades in technology I'm wondering why it wouldn't be do-able now?
This would be a better option than more trees and shrubs because of the versatility.  Also, making all trees and shrubs global would be great too.
I'm not trying to be a pain, just really curious about this stuff.......  Thanks !

I think I've run through this in more detail in another thread if you dig around.  Essentially its a limitation on how Unity handles trees inside their Terrain Tools.  In an effort to save on billboarding the trees they capture an image of it from a bunch of different angles and then show you that image based on where the camera is.  Its all done in the engine itself unlike other objects that we draw (grass, buildings, etc) which is easier for us to control.  In fact, we don't use billboards for anything but trees, the low level of detail objects for clubhouses, bushes, golf carts etc. just remove it from the scene.  Anyways, back to the billboards, because of their images the trees can't rotate, otherwise when it jumps from the rotated level of the tree it will then snap to the wrong image. 

There are a ton of work arounds for this and we could just treat trees like regular objects, but then we will lose all of the optimizations that Unity has that are built in.  It would be a ton of work for us to recreate this ourselves but with proper rotations built into the billboard.  Unity 5 also introduced SpeedTree, which is a tool used to create lots of trees as an option, and it would allow for trees to be rotated.  But, we would then lose all of the trees that we have now, short of the artists spending more time than we have now recreating the trees, not having them be exactly the same, and then shipping TGC 2 with all of the same art assets that TGC 1 has and nothing else.

I hope I'll get a guy I can say "make the trees rotate" or get a guy that I can say "do all this other stuff I want to do so I can make the trees rotate," but even if I did get that guy we may have higher priority tasks and modes to add to the course creator.

As for making all the objects global thats not feasible because it would increase the memory footprint of the course creator a ton since we currently load up 20ish trees/shrubs per theme to 150-200 or so.

Stan Solo

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »
You need more guys Paul !   .. you cannot cater for the community's needs all by yourself          ... maybe the forum can have a whip round    ;)

As for Speedtree  ... that has not gone down too well on the [ dare I say it ] 'other' golf game

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 04:21:43 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul.  I understand it better now.  Please keep it on the "wish list" maybe for a future update to TGC 2
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

rdh

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:41:10 PM »
Paul - start a kickstarter campaign to get "the guy".  I'll chip in.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »
Great idea !!!!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
You guys will buy TGC2

That is your role

It's HB's role to staff their company appropriately and I'm sure Anthony knows how to do that well.

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
I don't want to say for sure since I do want to find a good solution to this problem, but its not looking good based on the amount of time I have available.

Totally get the time issue...but I seem to remember that in Unity 5 you guys mentioned this as being possible and something you'd like to implement.  Single Billboard images or something like that was a limitation in Unity 4.

So even if it's not planned for initial release due to time....is it possible and could it be on the wish list so to speak?  I agree, could be very helpful for designers to really give each course a unique look.  Imagine trees that can be viewed from 4 distinct directions.  Those pesky limbs that always show up the same...could be rotated out of view in certain situations.
StormGolf73 on PC and XB1

My Courses
TPC Four Seasons - Coming
Bay Hill Club & Lodge - RCR
Trump National Philadelphia - RCR
Southern Hills Country Club - RCR
Galveston Country Club - RCR
The DC Golf Club - Design Contest
The Wicklow Hollow Golf Club
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 02:43:11 PM »
Exactly.  Or rotated in to make certain shots more difficult and thus steering the golfer in other directions and to make more challenging shots like draws, fades,loft and low shots. Being able to rotate trees would be the equivalent of multiplying the number of trees ten fold or more.  Look at how many different ways you can use the same rocks over and over but not have them look the same.  In my opinion this would be just about the best thing they could do with the designer if it's at all possible.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

mnguy12000

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 12:54:51 PM »
being able to resize up or down would have this less of a problem, as we can just plan two trees on top of one an other.
My Courses:
GunFlint Trail GC
Macaw G.C.
Cathedral Pines G.C.
Spruce Harbor G.C.
Evelyn Hills Golf Club
RCR - Chom0nix
Valley Meadows
Breaker's Point GC
WIP RCR Columbia Golf Club, Mpls MN

space-cash