The Valley at Slippery Rock - Opinions please

• 2 Replies

rauschk1309

« on: January 05, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
The Valley at Slippery Rock is going to be a Par 72 course playing just shy of 7100 yards. This course is a first for me in designing that I have tried to really be creative and not just toss something together for fun. The course is based off of natural terrain and trees. It has been cut through without major alteration to slopes, water or vegetation. I wanted to make a run at building the course with what the site had to offer me. You will be greeted with wide fairways and fairly large greens. I decided to go medium-firm on the fairways and medium on the greens. With some of the longer approach shots and long Par 3 holes it gives a chance for those long approaches to hold the greens. There are decisions to be made on a few holes on your tee shot as you can take the easy way or the risky alternate ways. With risk comes reward on the scoring side. Who will be up for the challenge? I am considering putting the rough design up for some play to get feedback, then pull back to continue improvements. This will more than likely be the only course before TGC2 for me. As a new designer, hopefully others can enjoy the course and the mindset I took with it.

mnguy12000

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:03:39 PM »
looks good.  I would still "smooth out"  some of the areas though and remove the rocks!  Otherwise would be interesting to see how this comes together with minimal sculpting.   I have thought of this as well just using the brushes to smooth the land for me.  I just didn't like how it would give me dimples with the sharp brushes, hopefully you can find a work around on that one.  Good luck
My Courses:
GunFlint Trail GC
Macaw G.C.
Cathedral Pines G.C.
Spruce Harbor G.C.
Evelyn Hills Golf Club
RCR - Chom0nix
Valley Meadows
Breaker's Point GC
WIP RCR Columbia Golf Club, Mpls MN

rauschk1309

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:32:12 PM »
Thanks for the input and vote of confidence there.... I was thinking myself of taking all the rocks out.... course doesn't need them in there. Surprisingly not alot of dimple issues so far for me but will definitely get some more smoothing in different areas as well. Hopefully will have a version I am willing to publish in the next day or two and get some true feedback from rounds played.

space-cash