Settlers Run Country Club

• 17 Replies

Rod81simo

« on: December 17, 2016, 04:43:11 AM »
Hi guys,

After a bit of a GNCD hiatus since I completed Congressional I've finally got around to working on a few projects, one being this one.

Inspired after watching the World Cup at Royal Melbourne and the Australian Open at Royal Sydney I got to thinking about creating an Alister MacKenzie/Sandbelt looking and playing track, and after a couple of weeks I've managed to get the Front 9 published for you to feast on, let me know your thoughts guys!

In true authentic Aussie fashion it's a fast and firm affair, enjoy!!
My TGC 2019 Courses:
Royal Ballylough
Congressional Country Club
PGA National (Champion)
The Glades Golf Club
The Colonial Golf Club
Samurai Links

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »
Hey Rod, great to see that you've decided to make (at least) one more course before tgc2..It's gonna be another sweet one..Git out there and give it a play folks....Some pics.......Cheers.....Vic

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 06:02:56 AM »
Played again with a 8 iron this time in my hand at the first,Still not impressed with that 1st green.Be interesting if any others play it here.

To me would play better with medium conditions but can understand the firm setting for levels of play and setting.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:06:58 AM by Yeltzman »

Rod81simo

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 04:38:50 AM »
Thanks Vic as always for the pics!!!

Thanks again Yeltz, I've softened the rear of greens 1&8 so they won't be as penal on final release

This is why I like putting out beta's, what is acceptable for some is OTT for others so getting feedback is what it's all about
My TGC 2019 Courses:
Royal Ballylough
PGA National (Champion)
The Glades Golf Club
The Colonial Golf Club
Samurai Links

Rod81simo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 11:17:17 AM »
I've now published an 18hole beta for you to try out, published as SRCC test#

Enjoy!!
My TGC 2019 Courses:
Royal Ballylough
PGA National (Champion)
The Glades Golf Club
The Colonial Golf Club
Samurai Links

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
I've now published an 18hole beta for you to try out, published as SRCC test#

Enjoy!!

Oh nice!  Missed the first beta, all over this later tonight.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:13:26 PM »
Me too.  pics look sweet. 

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »
Just my view i think the long grass round the bunkers too high,caused a bt of a performance issue on xbox,(maybe bad connection).I would have preferred medium greens but understand the setting you choose,maybe a bush needs a trim side of 2nd..

Rod ive asked royce to play it on xbox as well hes got a 300 m/bit connection so he will tell you for sure how it plays.

Also not a fan of no light rough on fairways,not all of us hit it down the middle,1 foot off i feel your punished too much.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:52:26 PM by Yeltzman »

Royce

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
It played fairly smooth for me on XB I thought.  Lovely style, reminds me a lot of that Sandbelt course which is one of my favorites in game.  The course is all out there for you to go get, super views from the tees and would be perfect for true sim play.  My only complaint is the combo of firmness & speed was really harsh IMO, would love to see medium greens or at least drop the speed a bit on max firm.....stern test for sure and I limped my way to a even par 72 and shot a combined +2 on the par 5's.

Seemed a very linear design to me, wind only blew one of 2 directions most of the round it seemed so curious if your routing is linear or if the wind was just moving around to make it appear so?  And yeah the grass on the bunkers could be a bit shorter, but the look is absolutely fantastic.  Some of the best green complexes with a very classic feel to them.  I think you have done a super job capturing the MacKenzie feel here & look forward to the final edition.....maybe a special medium version for us less skilled hackers?
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Rod81simo

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 06:50:25 PM »
Thanks guys! Loving the feedback, really appreciate the effort to take notes and get back to me, cheers

- I won't be adding light rough Yeltz, the fairways are pretty wide for the most part with pinch points and decisions to be made :)
- the hairy bunkers could use some cutting back but I want them to be visible from a greater distance so compromised a bit here :D
- the course layout is located in a traditional Melbourne Metropolitan land block of roughly 65 hectares, I made conscious effort to vary the routing with the limitation of space and with the various doglegs much of this is negated, none of the par 3s run in the same direction. 2 of the par 5s being holes 7&17 run parallel to each other and being par 5s will stick in your memory a bit more (9 is similar direction but runs about 20deg different), I have varied the teeing grounds here by up to 40yds and will have them play differently, 1 should be reachable and the other a 3 shotter, other than that I'm happy with the routing and shot variation required. Great pickup the Royce!!
My TGC 2019 Courses:
Royal Ballylough
PGA National (Champion)
The Glades Golf Club
The Colonial Golf Club
Samurai Links

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:04:52 PM »
Rod, i find it hard to believe that i am saying this...but, this may very well be when completed your best yet...and one of TGC's best...

Just teasers.....

Check out my 2nd shot on #9.....woot.........

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 09:20:34 PM »
Honestly amazing work here Rod. Best fictional course I've ever played but a mile. Plays great as is but, I agree there should be hackers version so everybody can enjoy this masterpiece.

Reppdogg

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:14 PM »
I played it on XB1. I thought it was borderline for performance. No holes really had a real issue. I agree with Yeltz with greens. I really feel a medium firmness would play much better but they weren't unfair with firmness you picked. I really liked the theme of the course as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcary333

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
This course layout and bunkering looks awesome and plan on playing it tonight.

With that being said, the decision to have no first cut of rough, in my opinion, is a mistake for any golf course created in this game.  The heavy rough is far too penalizing as it is; and getting this penalty if you miss the fairway by 5 feet is far too harsh (especially if you play on the harder swing difficulties). Even US open venues have a first and primary cut.

Just my two cents.  :D
My courses:

The Golf Club at Birchwood

The Kootenai Club

Royce

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 05:53:08 PM »
It's nice to have light rough if done correctly but with how darn easy it is to hit fairways (I'm far from a top player and hit for 90% FIR) so I like the penal effect of heavy rough. To me if you're in the rough enough for it to be an issue then you have other problems to deal with like aiming better off the tee.

Hopefully for TGC2 they will have graduated rough or at least the ability to control rough thickness, as I feel like light rough is similar to playing from fairways on some real life (muni) courses I've played.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

space-cash