Spring 2017 release date - pre order available per Maximum games

• 15 Replies

NewBlacksmurf

« on: April 13, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
Just saw a post on the social media sites that this is coming soon.   Just awaiting a digital pre order for Xbox one. 

Thegolfclub2.maximumgames.com

Wonder if the pre order bonuses are physical only or both physical copies and digital as it's not on the Xbox one store yet. 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
I'm going to hold off on a pre-order of the XBox One version until I read confirmation that it will deliver the game in 1080p, at >40 FPS.  I think there's a reasonable chance of it happening based on information I can't go into right now, so I'm optimistic about it.  I know the XBox One version of TGC 1 was well behind the PS4 version, and especially the PC version on a good gaming system, in terms of appearance and performance.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »
I'm going to hold off on a pre-order of the XBox One version until I read confirmation that it will deliver the game in 1080p, at >40 FPS.  I think there's a reasonable chance of it happening based on information I can't go into right now, so I'm optimistic about it.  I know the XBox One version of TGC 1 was well behind the PS4 version, and especially the PC version on a good gaming system, in terms of appearance and performance.

No Xbox Scorpio for you? Or are you just talking about May timeframe.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 09:04:57 PM »

No, I'm speaking now strictly in terms of the XBox One version of TGC 2, this Spring.  I'm about 90% certain I'll be buying a Scorpio, eventually.  I'm pretty sure that there won't be an exclusive Scorpio version of TGC 2, but if HBS is as smart as I think they are, they're coding the XBox One version so that the Scorpio will be able to milk a little bit more out of it.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the XBox One version of TGC doesn't tip the scales at 1080p and greater than 40 FPS, I'll wait to buy it when there's an XBox system that can  8)
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:07:16 PM »
JC, from what I've read the Scorpio will render at 4K Whereas the XBOX ONE only does HR which I surmise is enhanced 1080.  PS4 Pro does 4K now. 
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
JC, from what I've read the Scorpio will render at 4K Whereas the XBOX ONE only does HR which I surmise is enhanced 1080.  PS4 Pro does 4K now.

Great point Rock, but only the XBox One S will do HR right now, not the Xbox One.  Even as a PS4 owner, I haven't given any thought to the possibility of the PS4 version of TGC 2 being built so as to take advantage of 4K, or at the very least, the advanced processing capabilities of the PS4 Pro in terms of yielding higher performance.  I'll be curious to see how HBS handles this; it will no doubt tell me a lot about how they'll approach the looming Scorpio's advanced processing and display capabilities.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »

No, I'm speaking now strictly in terms of the XBox One version of TGC 2, this Spring.  I'm about 90% certain I'll be buying a Scorpio, eventually.  I'm pretty sure that there won't be an exclusive Scorpio version of TGC 2, but if HBS is as smart as I think they are, they're coding the XBox One version so that the Scorpio will be able to milk a little bit more out of it.

The point I'm trying to make is that if the XBox One version of TGC doesn't tip the scales at 1080p and greater than 40 FPS, I'll wait to buy it when there's an XBox system that can  8)

Gotcha...we gotta wait and see.

I do assume HBS will have a Scorpio update for TG2 tho as it's a huge difference in capabilities

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
I do assume HBS will have a Scorpio update for TG2 tho as it's a huge difference in capabilities

I think it's going to depend on the potential market size for the Scorpio before HBS would invest in an update exclusively for it.  However, from what I've gathered, the XBox One version of the game could be coded in such a way that it would lend itself to the advanced processing power and higher resolution display capabilities of the Scorpio.  Stick the XBox One version of TGC 2 in a Scorpio, the game recognizes it's now operating in a Scorpio, and wah-lah... it changes gears and takes on a new air.  That's my layman's pipe-dream of how it could work, anyway.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »

I think it's going to depend on the potential market size for the Scorpio before HBS would invest in an update exclusively for it.  However, from what I've gathered, the XBox One version of the game could be coded in such a way that it would lend itself to the advanced processing power and higher resolution display capabilities of the Scorpio.  Stick the XBox One version of TGC 2 in a Scorpio, the game recognizes it's now operating in a Scorpio, and wah-lah... it changes gears and takes on a new air.  That's my layman's pipe-dream of how it could work, anyway.

The Xbox Scorpio is basically a new console that is backwards compatible with the Xbox one so it's coded as an Xbox one. It's like buying TGC on pc and later upgrading your PC (in laymans terms)

It's not like the PS4 to PS4 pro situation
The market size has nothing to do with it

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 10:53:49 PM »
The Xbox Scorpio is basically a new console that is backwards compatible with the Xbox one so it's coded as an Xbox one. It's like buying TGC on pc and later upgrading your PC (in laymans terms)

The way I understand it from reading the Digital Foundry article on "Five Ways Scorpio XBox One Games", the biggest advantage Scorpio would offer to the XBox One version of TGC 2 is since The Golf Club, and I suspect The Golf Club 2 have an option to turn the vsync off, the Scorpio will theoretically bump the performance up to 60 FPS.  The Scorpio can help an XBox One game run more consistently at its target frame rate, from what I read, but if the XB1 game doesn't have a locked vsync, shouldn't that free the Scorpio to take it considerably higher?

The Scorpio will also help the texture filtering of XBox One games, taking it from the norm of 4X AF, to 16X AF. That makes a considerable difference in my PC gaming experience.  It will also offer faster loading of XBox One games, but that hasn't been a real problem with TGC, IMO.

I guess in terms of graphics, the best the Scorpio can do is upscale the 1080p (hopefully) graphics of TGC 2 to 4K, for what that's worth, but I think we all know that upscaled 4K can't hold a candle to native 4K.  Having educated myself a little more on the Scorpio, I'd say your right about HBS having to have an update, or possibly even a new stand alone version of TGC 2 that does support native 4K for the Scorpio.  If that happens, I would hope games with the Scorpio version could hook up with and play in the XBox One Societies.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »

The way I understand it from reading the Digital Foundry article on "Five Ways Scorpio XBox One Games", the biggest advantage Scorpio would offer to the XBox One version of TGC 2 is since The Golf Club, and I suspect The Golf Club 2 have an option to turn the vsync off, the Scorpio will theoretically bump the performance up to 60 FPS.  The Scorpio can help an XBox One game run more consistently at its target frame rate, from what I read, but if the XB1 game doesn't have a locked vsync, shouldn't that free the Scorpio to take it considerably higher?

The Scorpio will also help the texture filtering of XBox One games, taking it from the norm of 4X AF, to 16X AF. That makes a considerable difference in my PC gaming experience.  It will also offer faster loading of XBox One games, but that hasn't been a real problem with TGC, IMO.

I guess in terms of graphics, the best the Scorpio can do is upscale the 1080p (hopefully) graphics of TGC 2 to 4K, for what that's worth, but I think we all know that upscaled 4K can't hold a candle to native 4K.  Having educated myself a little more on the Scorpio, I'd say your right about HBS having to have an update, or possibly even a new stand alone version of TGC 2 that does support native 4K for the Scorpio.  If that happens, I would hope games with the Scorpio version could hook up with and play in the XBox One Societies.

The Scorpio game is the same game the regular Xbox one and Xbox one s are playing. It's really just a performance and visual difference if they offer a Scorpio update but possibly that update maybe already be in the game and some settings may be greyed out unless you have the Scorpio hardware.

It'll be interesting to see

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 09:57:46 AM »
The Scorpio game is the same game the regular Xbox one and Xbox one s are playing. It's really just a performance and visual difference if they offer a Scorpio update but possibly that update maybe already be in the game and some settings may be greyed out unless you have the Scorpio hardware.

I see your point about the greyed out settings unless you have the Scorpio, but HBS would have to have more knowledge of the Scorpio than I think is available to most developers yet.  It also makes sense that Scorpio owners would be able to play online multiplayer with XBox One players, but naturally, the XBox One and S owners wouldn't be able to play online with Scorpio exclusive games.

I do think it's safe to say an update would be required for The Golf Club 2 to take advantage of the higher resolution of the Scorpio?
I'd like read what HBS can pass along about this, but it won't happen until tomorrow, at the earliest.  Today (Easter Monday) is a statutory holiday in Canada.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

NewBlacksmurf

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »

I see your point about the greyed out settings unless you have the Scorpio, but HBS would have to have more knowledge of the Scorpio than I think is available to most developers yet.  It also makes sense that Scorpio owners would be able to play online multiplayer with XBox One players, but naturally, the XBox One and S owners wouldn't be able to play online with Scorpio exclusive games.

I do think it's safe to say an update would be required for The Golf Club 2 to take advantage of the higher resolution of the Scorpio?
I'd like read what HBS can pass along about this, but it won't happen until tomorrow, at the earliest.  Today (Easter Monday) is a statutory holiday in Canada.

You Have the wrong understanding.

All Xbox one consoles are playing together for this.  It's only a different console for higher graphics just like the Xbox one s offers 4k blue ray and some upscaling but it's still an Xbox one and all play together

So the game is the game
It's not a Scorpio game and then Xbox one and Xbox one s.  It's an Xbox one game.

The Scorpio can offer more graphically and performance wise.  That's it all else in terms of gameplay is the same game
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:03:23 PM by NewBlacksmurf »

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:20 PM »
Exactly.  My bad in my previous post.......  I meant to say XBOX One S but for some reason I didn't get the S in there.  What I meant though......
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »
All Xbox one consoles are playing together for this.  It's only a different console for higher graphics just like the Xbox one s offers 4k blue ray and some upscaling but it's still an Xbox one and all play together

So the game is the game
It's not a Scorpio game and then Xbox one and Xbox one s.  It's an Xbox one game.

The Scorpio can offer more graphically and performance wise.  That's it all else in terms of gameplay is the same game

Okay, I did have a misunderstanding as I thought there would be Scorpio exclusive games.  I went back and did some more reading on it and now I know better how it will work.  I do think that games that really want to take advantage of the Scorpio's higher resolution graphics capabilities would at least have to have native resolution capabilities of 2160p, for a Scorpio to have the source material necessary to run it in true 4K?

For example, if you were to load the current XBox One version of TGC 1 into a Scorpio, it should boost the frame rates considerably, since you can unlock the VSync in the game's settings.  OTOH, the Scorpio is only going to have 900p source material to work with.  It might look slightly better upscaled to 4K on the Scorpio, but it's still going to be a far cry from what native 2160p would look like on the same 4K display.

The texture filtering settings I'm not so sure about.  The Digital Foundry article I read stated that the Scorpio will do 16X Anisotropic filtering, whereas the XBox One is limited to 4X AF.  In theory, the Scorpio should bump TGC 1's texturing quality 4 fold, provided the game isn't somehow capped to prohibit it?   
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash