A Question For the Developer's

• 28 Replies

DeadlyPurpose

« on: June 28, 2017, 11:59:53 PM »
So I've been reading through the topics and comments on all 3 platforms and General and the overwhelming feeling is that this is a terrible launch to the game. Technical issues, server issues, online issues, multiplayer and single-player career issues. It's basically an unplayable mess of a game. My question is this:

Is this what you intended to make? Is this what you spent the last two years making? Why release a game with so many issues? Exactly what is the mindset of the developer's at this point? I think it's safe to say that this has been one big bungle of a launch and it hasn't even released in Europe yet. What is your plan going forward?

How are you going to make this right with all your supporters and gamers that paid money for your game in good faith?

liquidsnake000

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:16:29 AM »
People need to give the devs alittle time to iron out problems, hb will get it right just like they did at the start of tgc1 when they has similar problems, even the big guns like ea and ubisoft and countless others have had some bad glitches on them at the very start.
bring on 2019 tgc.

DeadlyPurpose

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05:58 AM »
Oh, well, as long as EA and Ubisoft have produced crap in the past then by all means, it's okay for every developer to do so. Silly me.

Let me make this clear. I've supported this developer. I paid full price for the first game. I was so excited for this second game that I was watching every preview stream and early access I could get my hands on. In none of the promotional material did it say that this game was an improvement over the first game in every way except you'll be disconnected every 3-4 holes. In no promotional material did it say that it would have stutters, screen tearing, pop-in, delayed control inputs.

This is false advertising. They had a review embargo. No one knew what a mess of a game this would be before launch. Except the devs. You can apologize all you want, you can say that they fixed the first game, but the reality is that games shouldn't have to be fixed after release. Not everyone has an internet connection to receive fixes. Games should come complete and working.

Why you have an allegiance to a game developer boggles the mind. We don't owe them anything. They owe us a working game when we pay the price they are charging. Have an independent thought and quit apologizing for a company that sees you as money and nothing more. Choose to demand that you get a product worthy of your time and money.

I want to stream this game and make videos about it. But no one is going to watch crazy long loading screens and constant game-ending disconnects. No one was more excited for this game than I was. I'm completely let down by the finished product. This is an abysmal situation that I hope they can fix but so far I've seen zero proof that they are competent enough to do so.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:24:25 AM »
ALL the issues are primarily tied to the server issues. Once those are solved many of the problems will be gone.

Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

DeadlyPurpose

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:29:17 AM »
ALL the issues are primarily tied to the server issues. Once those are solved many of the problems will be gone.

Many of the problems will be gone. Which ones? Which ones will still be present? Does the server affect the control input delays? The screen tearing? The stuttering? The putter lag? The load times when navigating the menus? Please let us all know what issues are tied to the server problems and which are just inherent on a developer being bad at using the Unity engine. I'm dying to know.

DeadlyPurpose

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »
The vanishing money? The pop-in? The inability to import legacy courses? The slow course editor? All this is due to the servers, huh? I can't play a round in offline mode without being kicked out to the menu. This all going to be fixed by the servers. Awesome. I hope you're right. As soon as I can play the game you'll probably never see me on these forums again. That will make everyone happy, I'm sure.

I just want to be able to play the game I paid for.

philby85

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
Life's too short to worry that much about a video game. Breathe in and out. I am sure it will be fixed.

rhino7176

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »
The vanishing money? The pop-in? The inability to import legacy courses? The slow course editor? All this is due to the servers, huh? I can't play a round in offline mode without being kicked out to the menu. This all going to be fixed by the servers. Awesome. I hope you're right. As soon as I can play the game you'll probably never see me on these forums again. That will make everyone happy, I'm sure.

Almost all of that is server related.  I don't believe there is an offline mode to be played in this game.

snarls200

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »

Almost all of that is server related.  I don't believe there is an offline mode to be played in this game.

There is. I have the PS4 disc and can play 18 course even when not connected to the network

DeadlyPurpose

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:48 AM »
[Almost all of that is server related.  I don't believe there is an offline mode to be played in this game.
[/quote]

In offline mode you can play any of the Official TGC courses. Yeah it's easy to see what you're able to do offline, just start a game in any mode and when it disconnects you after 3-4 holes just see what you can do in Offline mode.

Snarls200 is right on, when I did my initial videos there were 18 courses to choose from offline.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:16:15 AM by DeadlyPurpose »

rhino7176

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 02:01:56 AM »

There is. I have the PS4 disc and can play 18 course even when not connected to the network

I have the digital version and haven't seen how to do that.

rdh

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 07:15:55 AM »
For the life of me, I don't know why the ability to download courses to store/play locally (when just playing a round) was not added.  This alone would have drastically reduced the server load.  Anyone just wanting to play a casual practice round could play 100% offline with zero server impact.  The fact that it's only possible for the 18 official courses is a major limitation that should have been addressed. 

Also, having courses stored locally would drastically decrease load times when playing an online round with other players.  If it's a course you've played before and have stored locally, it could just load the course data from the local machine/console without the unnecessary bog down of the server.

I think this is major design flaw/oversight that I was hoping would be addressed in TGC2.

Dusty Roads

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
For the life of me, I don't know why the ability to download courses to store/play locally (when just playing a round) was not added.  This alone would have drastically reduced the server load.  Anyone just wanting to play a casual practice round could play 100% offline with zero server impact.  The fact that it's only possible for the 18 official courses is a major limitation that should have been addressed. 

Also, having courses stored locally would drastically decrease load times when playing an online round with other players.  If it's a course you've played before and have stored locally, it could just load the course data from the local machine/console without the unnecessary bog down of the server.

I think this is major design flaw/oversight that I was hoping would be addressed in TGC2.

This would be easy for pc players but can't be initiated as there is no way for designers to upload published courses to an online data base

We could start a storage site and upload courses but right now we can only do that with unpublished courses and there is no way the better designers are going to trust any of us with playing offline and not redesigning their gems.

If there were a way to lock an unpublished course (or better yet upload published courses) this would be  a godsend to those that don't do the tours or multiplayer that often.

Of course you could go ballistic and generate a ton of your own courses, not publish them and play offline.

rdh

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:51:58 AM »

This would be easy for pc players but can't be initiated as there is no way for designers to upload published courses to an online data base

We could start a storage site and upload courses but right now we can only do that with unpublished courses and there is no way the better designers are going to trust any of us with playing offline and not redesigning their gems.

If there were a way to lock an unpublished course (or better yet upload published courses) this would be  a godsend to those that don't do the tours or multiplayer that often.

Of course you could go ballistic and generate a ton of your own courses, not publish them and play offline.

Not quite what I was getting at.  Still use the HB server for uploading/publishing courses as it is used today.  When playing a round and selecting a course, then, have a checkbox option for "Save Course Locally" (or something like that).  if turned on and you start your round, the course file would be downloaded (which it does anyway for playing) and saved to a permanent location on the console/machine.  Then, any time you replay that course, it would see that it's available locally and would load it from there without the need to pull it down from the server every time.

Seems like a very basic design that should have been incorporated.

Anquila1978

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:04 AM »

Not quite what I was getting at.  Still use the HB server for uploading/publishing courses as it is used today.  When playing a round and selecting a course, then, have a checkbox option for "Save Course Locally" (or something like that).  if turned on and you start your round, the course file would be downloaded (which it does anyway for playing) and saved to a permanent location on the console/machine.  Then, any time you replay that course, it would see that it's available locally and would load it from there without the need to pull it down from the server every time.

Seems like a very basic design that should have been incorporated.

I am not sure but technically HB don't own the courses, each creator does, I even think that HB compensated the non HB employees who designed courses

In the end I don't think HB can allow us to get the file without the creators permission as the save local would potentially allow you to edit the course and then claim credit for work you did not do.
Other Courses

Turnberry Kintyre Course
Gladstonevale G.C
Belgrave Black at Balmeadie

space-cash