Links Lover Critiques Your Course

• 28 Replies

LinksLover

« on: July 05, 2018, 09:02:50 AM »
This is not aimed at the reputed designers out there such as Scampi, Scarpacci and the like. They don't need me to critique their course. Unless they want me to in which case I would be humbled to do so. This is aimed at designers who are looking to improve or are new and want pointing in the right direction.

I am inviting said designers for you to put forward your course for me to play and critique, much like I have for The J Club and Wardsville Golf Club in this thread in the PS4 section of the forum.
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,23923.0.html

I don't have the know how to make and upload videos to Youtube or anything of that ilk. I do it the old fashioned way. I make notes as I play and report back my findings through the medium of writing. It's probably because I'm middle aged and not down with the kids.

I've played video game golf way back to the old Leaderboard and Links games, have been swinging a golf club since I could walk and have played golf in real life save an eight year break when I went to university since I was 10. I like to think I have an idea of what makes a good golf hole/course.

So offer me your courses and I shall play them in the order they appear on here. I will post my feedback in this thread, or if you prefer by PM and post on here that I have done so. Please be aware I have a young daughter and a wife and my family comes first, then my full time job so it may be a little time before I get to play your course and feedback so a little patience is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:08:32 AM by LinksLover »
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Angus Bay International (2019)
Northwood Golf Club TGC (2019)
Clayton Wood Golf Club (2 & 2019 port)
Angus Bay International G. C. (2)
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Celtic wolf

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »
Right I'll be your first victim, if you want to check out Claymore Course at Arkinholm  (Tour). I've not had much feedback on it and I think I've improved my designing since so I'm not too precious about it now. You could check out the thread on it in Completed Courses to give you an idea of the thinking behind it.
TGC 2019 Courses

Ile Aux Touessrok
Wunderpar (Glasgow)
Murfhoffen GC
Golf Club Passeier
Wunderpar (Munich)
Bayerischer Golfplatz
Wolf's Fang (Tour)
Wolf's Fang Golf Club
Desert Wolf
Wolf's Trail (Tour)

crunchshark

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 03:21:16 AM »
Great. You can do my Cramond golf club if you like. Only been doing courses since thc2.Thanks.
My courses

Panama Dunes
The Beachcomber
Marble Brae Links
Deadwood Straits GC
Diablos Dell
Almondwood Bay GC
Cresta Point GC

LinksLover

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 03:44:08 AM »
I've not forgotten you fellas. I've come home late from work both days I get my primary TGC time and there was a certain football match on last night too.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Celtic wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 02:49:51 AM »
I was going to say if you've not played my course yet you could scrap that one and try my Wolf Trail at Illinois State course. It was published a week ago and probably a better course.
TGC 2019 Courses

Ile Aux Touessrok
Wunderpar (Glasgow)
Murfhoffen GC
Golf Club Passeier
Wunderpar (Munich)
Bayerischer Golfplatz
Wolf's Fang (Tour)
Wolf's Fang Golf Club
Desert Wolf
Wolf's Trail (Tour)

LinksLover

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Too late, I played it at the weekend though I will play Wolf Trail after I've played Crunchshark's Cramond.

Claymore Course at Arkinholm (Tour) by Celtic Wolf.
Played from the back tees with random pin set 4.

Visually this is a really good course. Celtic Wolf has made great use of the terrain, surroundings and tournament objects to make it visually look the part and I really enjoyed playing it.

It isn't without fault however. The big one is there are quite a lot of blind tee shots and also two par 3s (10th and 14th) where you can't see the green from the tee. I am being somewhat hypocritical here is my Quirk Park course has this problem on the 13th. The 14th is an absolutely stunning hole... though you can't see that hitting your tee shot.

There are also a lot of split/double fairways - I noted eight in total. That's a heck of a lot for one course.

There was one oddly sculpted bunker at the back of the 5th green that rose in the middle, but generally bunker sculpting was very good.
Staying with bunkers, the bunkers in the 7th fairway would have been better if they had been splined rather than brushed so they didn't have the rough border.

The 3rd hole was a superb hole that required a lot of thought.

And some minor things...

There are contrasting fairway/rough/green angles at the front of the 1st and 12th greens.

There are no hazard stakes on the course at all. I know they essentially mean nothing in terms of TGC2 gameplay, but they add to the aesthetics.

The bridge on the 8th hole was very creative but I wouldn't want to drive a buggy or take a trolley over it!

I thought the green complex on 17 was a little strange with fairway in front and back on the left and middle but not on the right. It's not something I've noticed to that extent before.

All in all a very good course and I recommend a play.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Celtic wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:30:07 AM »
Too late, I played it at the weekend though I will play Wolf Trail after I've played Crunchshark's Cramond.

Claymore Course at Arkinholm (Tour) by Celtic Wolf.
Played from the back tees with random pin set 4.

Visually this is a really good course. Celtic Wolf has made great use of the terrain, surroundings and tournament objects to make it visually look the part and I really enjoyed playing it.

It isn't without fault however. The big one is there are quite a lot of blind tee shots and also two par 3s (10th and 14th) where you can't see the green from the tee. I am being somewhat hypocritical here is my Quirk Park course has this problem on the 13th. The 14th is an absolutely stunning hole... though you can't see that hitting your tee shot.

There are also a lot of split/double fairways - I noted eight in total. That's a heck of a lot for one course.

There was one oddly sculpted bunker at the back of the 5th green that rose in the middle, but generally bunker sculpting was very good.
Staying with bunkers, the bunkers in the 7th fairway would have been better if they had been splined rather than brushed so they didn't have the rough border.

The 3rd hole was a superb hole that required a lot of thought.

And some minor things...

There are contrasting fairway/rough/green angles at the front of the 1st and 12th greens.

There are no hazard stakes on the course at all. I know they essentially mean nothing in terms of TGC2 gameplay, but they add to the aesthetics.

The bridge on the 8th hole was very creative but I wouldn't want to drive a buggy or take a trolley over it!

I thought the green complex on 17 was a little strange with fairway in front and back on the left and middle but not on the right. It's not something I've noticed to that extent before.

All in all a very good course and I recommend a play.
Cheers for the feedback, yeah I had someone comment about a par 3 on Wolf Trail that is a blind tee shot. Regarding the split fairways I think I was trying to break up the fairways and make it look more appealing.  The double fairways were there to create different approaches, but as you said there was a lot of them. I've learnt more about sculpting and splining bunkers as I hope you'll notice in Wolf Trail . It's the same regarding the contrast with the different surfaces and yeah the bridge looks quite treacherous. I've had good comments about the 14th but it would need to be seen from the tees. The idea behind the 3rd is to have 2 pins on one side and 2 on the other meaning different rounds will have different approaches. But yeah I'll take all on board and try to apply it to future courses, I'll have to try your Quirk Park a go soon as it looks quite different from a lot of the courses out there.
TGC 2019 Courses

Ile Aux Touessrok
Wunderpar (Glasgow)
Murfhoffen GC
Golf Club Passeier
Wunderpar (Munich)
Bayerischer Golfplatz
Wolf's Fang (Tour)
Wolf's Fang Golf Club
Desert Wolf
Wolf's Trail (Tour)

LinksLover

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
I thought the 3rd is an excellent hole. You've done very well on the whole with the Claymore Course. I have a feeling it is a better course than you might think it is.

Quirk Park is certainly like no other course. I wanted every hole to be quirky, I let me creative juices really flow while also trying to maintain a realistic round of golf.
Sadly it has been rejected at TGC Tours, though being honest I expected it would be. It's quirks probably don't lend itself to tour play very well.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Celtic wolf

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »
I thought the 3rd is an excellent hole. You've done very well on the whole with the Claymore Course. I have a feeling it is a better course than you might think it is.

Quirk Park is certainly like no other course. I wanted every hole to be quirky, I let me creative juices really flow while also trying to maintain a realistic round of golf.
Sadly it has been rejected at TGC Tours, though being honest I expected it would be. It's quirks probably don't lend itself to tour play very well.
Claymore was designed with team play or one v one in mind with players playing from different tees but the same yardage. Even if there were 4 players with different club sets all teeing off from different tees., could provide an interesting stream for anyone that does streaming.

I gave Quirk Park a go and left feedback in the Completed Courses section. It's a course that needs an open mind and challenges the idea of a golf course. I didn't think it would be accepted by TGC Tours as they would follow a criteria and they'd probably get a lot of complaints as players expect a certain style of course. I've seen great courses getting complaints because they're too hard and I think people are looking to scoring around the same score every tournament
TGC 2019 Courses

Ile Aux Touessrok
Wunderpar (Glasgow)
Murfhoffen GC
Golf Club Passeier
Wunderpar (Munich)
Bayerischer Golfplatz
Wolf's Fang (Tour)
Wolf's Fang Golf Club
Desert Wolf
Wolf's Trail (Tour)

LinksLover

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 09:22:06 AM »
Cramond Golf Club by Crunchshark
Played from the back tees with random pin set 3.

This is a great course. It is very well thought out, well designed and very enjoyable to play. It has a lovely coastal village by the clubhouse, which itself sits on the beach front. There is great use of the landscape/sculpting throughout the course.

I loved the 1st hole, a par 3 literally on the beach. I did wonder if it should maybe be the 18th though so it would be a fantastic way to end the round.

The 4th hole drove me nuts but in a good way. It's a challenging, very steep uphill par 4 which requires great care from the tee.

The green on the 12th was superbly done with the retaining wall in front.

I do have a couple of criticisms which are minor, though I found little to fault with the course at all...

There are bushes in and over the edge of the large bunker on the 12th. These may or may not have been placed deliberately but they did look odd considering it is the only place on the course where it happened.

The 13th featured a green that is similar to a hole you see on crazy golf courses - an upturned bowl where the green is round and flat (ish) but slopes off all round.

I also thought the bunker on the right of the 16th green should end lower down the slope.

These three are fairly minor though and I thought it was a great course to play. I've added it to my favourites.

Next is Wolf Trail at Illinois State.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

crunchshark

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
Cramond Golf Club by Crunchshark
Played from the back tees with random pin set 3.

This is a great course. It is very well thought out, well designed and very enjoyable to play. It has a lovely coastal village by the clubhouse, which itself sits on the beach front. There is great use of the landscape/sculpting throughout the course.

I loved the 1st hole, a par 3 literally on the beach. I did wonder if it should maybe be the 18th though so it would be a fantastic way to end the round.

The 4th hole drove me nuts but in a good way. It's a challenging, very steep uphill par 4 which requires great care from the tee.

The green on the 12th was superbly done with the retaining wall in front.

I do have a couple of criticisms which are minor, though I found little to fault with the course at all...

There are bushes in and over the edge of the large bunker on the 12th. These may or may not have been placed deliberately but they did look odd considering it is the only place on the course where it happened.

The 13th featured a green that is similar to a hole you see on crazy golf courses - an upturned bowl where the green is round and flat (ish) but slopes off all round.

I also thought the bunker on the right of the 16th green should end lower down the slope.

These three are fairly minor though and I thought it was a great course to play. I've added it to my favourites.

Next is Wolf Trail at Illinois State.
Thanks for playing and for the review. I enjoyed the read and am glad you liked the course.Maybe extend the 16th bunker if i move it to 2019(not sure how to port them over).
My courses

Panama Dunes
The Beachcomber
Marble Brae Links
Deadwood Straits GC
Diablos Dell
Almondwood Bay GC
Cresta Point GC

LinksLover

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 08:23:10 AM »
I imagine it will be similar as porting from TGC to TGC2... but since I never played TGC then I've never done it. :D
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

LinksLover

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 01:27:39 PM »
Wolf Trail at Illinois State by Celtic Wolf
Played from the back tees with random pin set 2.

A very good course with some very nice work on the environment that surrounds it. Wolf Trail is a very good course with little to fault. It is a bit of a slow burner - it's a nice course that isn't dramatic until it gets to the final four holes.

THE POSITIVES
The biggest positive is the closing four holes. The par 5 15th is a very strong hole though one thing I did think was the fairway bunker on the left could be better - it is raised above the fairway. The 17th is a lovely par 3 and the 18th is a great finishing hole, short enough to considering driving on or near the green. I tried and found the water.

Good use was made of humps throughout the course.

Celtic Wolf avoids frequent use of blind tee shots and split/double fairways that he did at Claymore Course at Arkinholm (Tour).

I also liked the stables behind the 4th hole and the bunker retaining wall on the 10th.

THE NEGATIVES
The bunker short of the first green juts out into the fairway and looks at little odd.
Also the fairway bunker I mentioned earlier on the 15th.

All in all well worth a play. It's enjoyable and the closing holes are the strongest. I've added it to my favourites.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

LinksLover

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 01:29:04 PM »
I'm open to whomever next would like me to critique their course.
PUBLISHED
The Swiss Wall
Quirk Park (2)
IN PROGRESS

Celtic wolf

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Wolf Trail at Illinois State by Celtic Wolf
Played from the back tees with random pin set 2.

A very good course with some very nice work on the environment that surrounds it. Wolf Trail is a very good course with little to fault. It is a bit of a slow burner - it's a nice course that isn't dramatic until it gets to the final four holes.

THE POSITIVES
The biggest positive is the closing four holes. The par 5 15th is a very strong hole though one thing I did think was the fairway bunker on the left could be better - it is raised above the fairway. The 17th is a lovely par 3 and the 18th is a great finishing hole, short enough to considering driving on or near the green. I tried and found the water.

Good use was made of humps throughout the course.

Celtic Wolf avoids frequent use of blind tee shots and split/double fairways that he did at Claymore Course at Arkinholm (Tour).

I also liked the stables behind the 4th hole and the bunker retaining wall on the 10th.

THE NEGATIVES
The bunker short of the first green juts out into the fairway and looks at little odd.
Also the fairway bunker I mentioned earlier on the 15th.

All in all well worth a play. It's enjoyable and the closing holes are the strongest. I've added it to my favourites.
Thanks again for the comments and feedback, it's all things I can work on and keep improving. I think whilst designing the course I was too eager to get to the back 9 and maybe rushed through the front 9. I liked the par 5's for different reasons either how they played or looked, I've had a few people mention the stables at the 4th. My original plan for the 18th was to have the pool at the back of the 16th as the water hazard but it was quickly shot down by other designers. It was designed to entice the player to go for the green but make it risky as well. The 17th is the signature on this course, maybe not the best but the Wolf Paw is something I'm wanting to use in future.

I'll give someone else a chance now to get feedback on their courses, but thanks again for the comments.
TGC 2019 Courses

Ile Aux Touessrok
Wunderpar (Glasgow)
Murfhoffen GC
Golf Club Passeier
Wunderpar (Munich)
Bayerischer Golfplatz
Wolf's Fang (Tour)
Wolf's Fang Golf Club
Desert Wolf
Wolf's Trail (Tour)

space-cash