2k and HBS partnership question

• 37 Replies

titaneddie

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 11:27:08 AM »
Would be interesting to hear as to which company will hold more influence in the direction of the franchise...and what that vision would be.

Guessing this isn't somthing they'd answer though.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »
Its too early to comment on the future of the franchise at the moment.  This game isn't even out yet.   :)

Regarding the microstransactions, it has nothing to do with pay to win.   You can earn coins in game by playing.

SweetAeromotion

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »
Its too early to comment on the future of the franchise at the moment.  This game isn't even out yet.   :)

Regarding the microstransactions, it has nothing to do with pay to win.   You can earn coins in game by playing.

In regards to what the coins are used for...

Are there any other uses for them other than buying clothing/gear, Upgrading Societies, or for online matchmaking wagers?

mebby

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 11:41:32 AM »
I'm really not worried at all about microtransactions.  If they ever get implemented in any sort of "pay to win" fashion THEN I'll be upset but let's cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

HBS has said that they have no intention of ever going this route.  I trust them on that.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

Calavera999

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
Wasn't one of the knocks on the last 2K basketball game it was pay to play-ish with their micro transactions?  That's what I remember from the YT video reviews I saw... also why I didn't buy it.
micro transactions are there if you want to use them but you don’t have to. On NBA I used them to upgrade the players attributes but only bought the lowest amount. I doubt Tgc would go down that route of being able to upgrade attributes.

NBA was a direct example of how to destroy a great game with microtransactions. How you describe MTs in NBA greatly belittles the damage they actually did with what was simply exploitative business practices. Yes you didn't have to buy them (which seems to be everyone's annoying way of justifying the damage they cause) but they did make the game boring, restrictive and frustrating. These are important things.

I remember being in awe that even hair styles cost so much VC that you had to play about 15 games of basketball to afford one. Not only that but you had to pay for these things every time you wanted it equipped, not just a one time purchase. Nor could you preview things before purchase!

Their whole major new game mode for NBA 2K18 was basically an online shopping center. Sadly this is 2k in a nutshell.
Courses:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

gamerEMdoc

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
Can anyone from HB elaborate on how this partnership changes the 2019 game?   Is there anything different about the game because of this partnership either at release or going forward?

Calavera999

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
I'm really not worried at all about microtransactions.  If they ever get implemented in any sort of "pay to win" fashion THEN I'll be upset but let's cross that bridge if we ever get to it.

HBS has said that they have no intention of ever going this route.  I trust them on that.

People seem to forget that even if it isn't "pay to win", microtransactions still end up making your gameplay experience less fun and more frustrating unless you're buying coins. It's also always the tip of the iceberg, and what you think is harmless cosmetics ends up being a truly wrecked game 2 years down the line.  This is just as important to speak out against as pay to win mechanics are.

Maybe worrying about these things when they become reality sounds like a sensible approach, but the only way to avoid your favourite games from being destroyed is to reject MTs in any form in their early stages. It will be far too late to speak out against them in TGC 2021 when you're paying to play user created courses.
Courses:
Spyglass Hill GC
Spyglass Hill GC (Tour)

HB_ShaunW

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
A lot of curiosity around the new partnership with 2K. At this time I want to say we're very excited to be teaming up with them. I'll be putting together a longer post to talk about this more later today. A lot going on though as you can imagine so please bare with me.

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »
A lot of curiosity around the new partnership with 2K. At this time I want to say we're very excited to be teaming up with them. I'll be putting together a longer post to talk about this more later today. A lot going on though as you can imagine so please bare with me.
Thanks, Shaun

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 12:04:36 PM »

Many of us will be interested to hear what is behind this partnership as HB Studios was so excited to be back to self publishing a few months ago when your relationship with MG ended.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

bigtee

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »

Many of us will be interested to hear what is behind this partnership as HB Studios was so excited to be back to self publishing a few months ago when your relationship with MG ended.

To be fair though, 2k is a huge publisher. In the future they could move the game to a better engine, and attract names, courses and sponsors. Would anyone be suprised to see Tiger Woods 2k21 pga golf ? People are going to have to play their part though, and not moan when courses can't get transferred, or if a course editor is pulled. I really hope the editor stays down the line though. We just have to realistic. Infact, if anyone is wondering why they should buy tgc 2019, i'd say buy it while the game has an editor. After this you may not see one for a long time, or again.

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:32 PM »

To be fair though, 2k is a huge publisher. In the future they could move the game to a better engine, and attract names, courses and sponsors. Would anyone be suprised to see Tiger Woods 2k21 pga golf ? People are going to have to play their part though, and not moan when courses can't get transferred, or if a course editor is pulled. I really hope the editor stays down the line though. We just have to realistic. Infact, if anyone is wondering why they should buy tgc 2019, i'd say buy it while the game has an editor. After this you may not see one for a long time, or again.
This is no way intended to flame either you or HBS, but the day the editor is pulled is the day you start seeing the death of the franchise...or at least what it meant was meant to be in the beginning. They may very well attract a new batch of players, but you will by and large see those that have been loyal since inception walk away in droves.

Matt43

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 02:00:38 PM »

i doubt course editor is going anywhere. Without that the game wouldn’t work. 2k sports are not stupid.

jeffbdvs

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
Maybe there will be a 2-tier system?

• Design and play all the fictional courses you want. Port 'n' Play, too.
  • Choose to purchase additional "Official" PGA Tour courses from 2K/HBS
Unfortunately, that would leave the many fine RCRs of PGA Tour courses in a gray area that may not end well for us.
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

Airik

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Yep.. You want to play a course - We will create them for you.. Buy it here...

Players creating RCR's and free courses will become a thing of the past.. I see the course designer getting scratched in the future.. It's all about money with 2K..
TGC2019 COURSE
**** Burning Gorse Golf Club ****

space-cash