Putting from the fringe

• 13 Replies

theclv24

« on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
Usually when putting from the fringe, a golfer has to put a little extra on the putt to get it through the fringe and get it to roll true. In the game, the ball rockets out of the fringe, and you actually have to take distance off of the putt. I finally tested it in the course creator, and for a 20 foot putt from just on the fringe with no elevation, a 20 foot putt attempt goes ~ 25 feet. A 15 foot putt attempt goes ~ 20 feet. I would say that it needs to be almost opposite, where an extra 5 feet is needed on the putt, not 5 feet less.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
I've noticed this as well.  The big difference seems to be when you hit the green you usually have around 145 foot max for the putt(give or take).  When you land on the fringe and then switch to the putter, the default distance is around 90 feet max.   I think this difference might be what's throwing off the feel for distance control.

AdamV HB

• GroupMember
  • Physics / Camera Engineer
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 02:47:09 PM »
I think the confusion stems from the 90 feet number when on the fringe.  That's the predicted distance the ball would travel if the entire putt took place on the fringe.  We will probably take this out and just give the number that the putt would travel if it took place entirely on the green.

theclv24

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
I think the confusion stems from the 90 feet number when on the fringe.  That's the predicted distance the ball would travel if the entire putt took place on the fringe.  We will probably take this out and just give the number that the putt would travel if it took place entirely on the green.

I think this might be best. It just doesn't seem right to take identical backswings on the green and on the fringe but the ball goes farther on the fringe putt, especially considering you can't change the length of the putter on the green to feel or practice the difference. I'd rather just have to hit it harder from the fringe.

neaton14

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
That's interesting, I always felt I needed to blast it out of the fringe in order to get any distance.  I'm not sure why I'm having such a different experience as you all. I did notice the putting max distance change when putting from the fringe.
i5-3570K, GTX 670 2GB
1920x1080
High Settings: Avg - 50, Min - 40, Max - 60

PS3 Controller

BentFiveWood

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
This is still an issue, FYI.

Ball rockets of the putter from the fringe compared to the green.  It's just silly.
Course(s) Created:
Manicouagan Crater
Pointe du Hoc Cliffs V2
Ojibway Bay GC

cmattax

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
This is still an issue, FYI.

Ball rockets of the putter from the fringe compared to the green.  It's just silly.
+1

HB_LorinB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
I put this on the bug list to be looked at...just so's ya know :)

Hawk Eye

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
ftp://
I put this on the bug list to be looked at...just so's ya know :)
Be carefull ! Almost on a green here,the ( Greens Police ) could get ya :-X

Nightowl

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Is there a reason why club selection does not default to putter when the ball is on the fringe?

AndrewG

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
Is there a reason why club selection does not default to putter when the ball is on the fringe?
Yes
I Use: Xbox 360 wired gamepad for Windows PC.

Steam Name: FirstBlitzerAu

My Courses

Somersett Lakes CC
The Lakes of Fall Golf Club
Badlands Country Club
Heritage Lakes CDC (Front 9)

Nightowl

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
OK, Andrew, let's act like grownups.  What is the reason?

AndrewG

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
OK, Andrew, let's act like grownups.  What is the reason?

Because it is not the green, it is the fringe. I know myself when playing (in RL), I chip 90% of the time from the fringe.
I Use: Xbox 360 wired gamepad for Windows PC.

Steam Name: FirstBlitzerAu

My Courses

Somersett Lakes CC
The Lakes of Fall Golf Club
Badlands Country Club
Heritage Lakes CDC (Front 9)

Nightowl

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 06:02:18 PM »
Thank you.  Was that so hard?  ;)

space-cash