Adjusting shot distance for height difference...

• 6 Replies

TAOS227

« on: October 05, 2018, 06:45:27 PM »
Hi all,

In TGC 2, you could use the simple calculation that for every 3ft in height difference, you added/subtracted 1yd in distance. This worked pretty well.

However, in TGC 2019 this does not seem to work as smoothly. Actually, I am beginning to think that up- and down corrections are two different things here. I cannot find the correct adjustments and am stuggling big time with height differences.

The same actually goes for the wind correction. Sometimes the wind has major influence, and sometimes there is very little.

Anyone found any logic in these two corrections?

Thanks!

DONTMAKEMEPUTT

• Golf is my Life, Life is my Golf!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:45:56 PM »
It’s more than likely due to the loft you’re putting on your club the more loft you put on the more the wind affects your shot

Currently, the loft adjustments are too big even when putting just a touch of loft on your club

The up and down elevation calculations are the same as TGC 2. Create a course with 0 wind and take some time figuring out your distances that’s where I feel you’re going wrong
Golf gamer since Tiger Woods 06 and bought every golf game ever since!

Enef56

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
I don't understand all the emphasis on charts and calculations, in real golf you don't stand on the tee with a windsock or gauge, hopefully they will make random wind that changes half way through the shot, making it real guesswork like it should be, if its possible to work out every aspect of the shot it will be boring as hell to land by the pin each time.

Make everything random, when i used to play, i sliced the ball so badly i used to play on a different course to my brothers half the time, video games are almost impossible to play a really bad shot, even Phil Michelson is playing this game the rough is so easy.

bblancobrnx

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
With all of the roll out we currently have, you must also take into account the trajectory of the shot when adding and subtracting to different elevations. Since the ball is going forward, it is going to land sooner when hitting to an uphill location, and later when hitting to a downhill location than it would on a full shot with no elevation change, so this is going to affect the roll out. This makes it very important to look closely at the slope of what you are hitting into.

Enef56

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »
I'm not dismissing your comments but you need to practice, in tgc2 i couldn't miss, after a few weeks playing tgc2019 i loaded up tgc2 today to publish a course and thought i'd test the course, i was all over the place.

The swing is definitely slower in 2019, yes the wind and height is a bit of a lottery but come on in real golf its impossible to tell the exact effect the wind has on the ball, tgc2019 is easier than real golf.

Watch JimGems videos and see the course management tips you can get from him.

wim1234

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:25 AM »
Well, after doing a lot more testing on a self-built practice course and playing official courses I am close to done with this game. I am sorry I bought it and did not stick with TGC 2. That had its issues, but at least I enjoyed playing that.

The variance is just too much. Wind effect too variable. Too many strokes are unpredictable. And I am not someone who expects to play 18 under on every course. By no means. But I would like serious effort to be rewarded with some predictable behavior. It probably is there, but I don't see it.
really? and this game is not difficult at all.
i am sorry to see some ppl want superduper easy game, i play on average 3 to 5 under on proclubs, and i like that.
you cna always still play tgc2.

GaryP68

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 03:14:31 AM »
I still find that for every 3 ft up/down to pin, you still add/subtract 1 yard. Just remember the lower the club, the more roll there is on the green. For a 7 iron it rolls approx. 12 yrds, depending on slope obviously!

space-cash