Issues with Shot Direction?

• 38 Replies

YuriTheRed

« on: May 27, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but I've noticed while building a custom course that when I play the course, the aiming marker is not always consistent with where the ball lands.  Even accounting for wind, there are times when a shot takes off either left or right of where it should based on the marker.  If I rewind and play it again, it will often start off the opposite of what it did last time, making it super difficult to play a shot very accurately.

This happens off the tee, where every shot should go where it is aimed.  Sometimes it will push a shot several yards left, sometimes right.  It's not a big deal usually, but when there is a tight fairway or bunkers only a few yards off, it seems like the ball magically gets drawn to them even when it shouldn't.

I'm just wondering if this is "working as intended" to account for some variation in shots, or if it's a bug?  I think it's interesting to have a slight variation, but at the same time, if I hit a shot dead square, I'd expect it to go precisely where I'm aiming, and this is definitely not always the case (and seemingly random).

If a dev could weigh in, that would be great.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:51:20 AM »
Hey Yuri -

I posted this in the Steam Forums.  It applies here as well, though.

"Hey guys - I have seen a few posts here from people who feel as if they are hitting 100% straight shots but the ball is landing 10-20 yards to one side or the other. As you all, no doubt know, there are many factors that influence ball flight, such as lie, wind, swing path, etc.

However, if you feel as if nothing is causing this and it is still happening to you, could you post some info here so we can look at it? What we need is Steam name, date played, course name, hole, and shot number on which it happened.

If you can provide us with that, we can go back and look at that specific shot and see what is happening.

Thanks."

PS - Please make sure it is a live course you are playing on....we can't go back and look at shots from the course creator.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:48:58 AM by HB_LorinB »

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »
Hey Yuri -

I posted this in the Steam Forums.  It applies here as well, though.

"Hey guys - I have seen a few posts here from people who feel as if they are hitting 100% straight shots but the ball is landing 10-20 yards to one side or the other. As you all, no doubt know, there are many factors that influence ball flight, such as lie, wind, swing path, etc.

However, if you feel as if nothing is causing this and it is still happening to you, could you post some info here so we can look at it? What we need is Steam name, date played, course name, hole, and shot number on which it happened.

If you can provide us with that, we can go back and look at that specific shot and see what is happening.

Thanks."

Steam Name: Xusemagru
5/27/14 at 6:51 Hole 17 tee shot on PGC Cobra. Tee shot.

Wind was blowing left to right at 1mph I left the direction alone and swung the club and still ended up about 10 feet left

PGC CObra 9:39 on 5/27 6th hole tee shot. 1 wind at 6 oclock hit perfectly straight and it ends up five yards right
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:40:45 PM by xusemagru »
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

p2035

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »
@Lorin: 

I recorded a 30 second video showing 3 different shots done back to back in the course creator (using the 'rewind' button).   The 'shot arc' remains unchanged throughout this sequence (as you can see) and the wind is blowing left at 1 mph for all 3 shots, exactly the same.   

All 3 shots are hit with 100% power and the accuracy is PERFECTLY straight on all 3 shots.   

To give 'credibility' to my experiment (to prove all shots were totally straight) I disabled the x axis on my controller (it's not cheating since it's being done inside the course creator). 

Shot #1 strays left and hits the rock face's LEFT edge.

Shot #2 stays in the MIDDLE of the rock face (splits the uprights for a perfect field goal). 

Shot #3 strays right and hits the rock face's RIGHT edge.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x87at_tgc-crooked-shot-bug_videogames

*Keep in mind the rock face is huge so the deviation is not small.  Also, each shot's deviation would have doubled by the time the ball actually landed.  Keep in mind this is just a 4 iron too, not a driver.   A driver would show much greater deviation.   I was too lazy to lower the rock face for a driver's shot path.

(This was just a test hole I created in 5 minutes, it's not a real hole) 

clubcaptain

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:30:26 AM »
I'd say leave it as it is. Nothing should be perfect all the time. As long as it's only a small deviation it's good.
Intel core I73770k 3.5 GHZ
16 Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ/PC12800
Asus mobo PB8277-V Lx
Nvidea GeForce GTX670 2GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windoes 7 home premium 64 bit

Courses :
Aphrodite Golf and Sailing Resort
Taiga Forest-Kaunis Course
Adelaide Hills West Golf Course
Strathmally GC

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »
I'm experiencing the same thing on my "perfectly" executed swings (using my PS4 controller).

When I beta tested the PC version of TW06 EA put a "edge detector/penalizer" system in one of the beta builds.  I am a "true" (no x-axis modifiers used) TruSwing player and through many hours of practice I can move the mouse very straight consistently.  However, I was experiencing random mi**** shots due to the "edge detector/penalizer".  EA removed this feature prior to release of the game due to the fact that it was penalizing honest players like myself.

I don't have a problem if HB Studios is doing the same thing but I would like the mi**** for honest players (if it is possible) to be at least less penalizing (shot stray no more than 10 or 15 feet).

-MERACE
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:11:12 AM by MERACE »

Wolverin3

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »
Leave it as it is, just incase people do use the `disable x-axis` for the wrong reasons, as long as its only a small deviation.
Courses Created
---------------------------------
Aridian Sands
New The Gobi Golf Club V2
The Gobi Golf Club
Autumn Gold
Golden Sands GC
Waterfront Golf Club (Hard - firm fairways - fast greens)
New Waterfront Golf Club ( more friendly version )

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
Why should I get punished for correctly lining up a shot just for some random landing area to throw me in a bunker or to miss the mark completely. I am totally against a random landing area
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
@p2035

Watching your video, i realized that you did take your shots  before the camera stoped its moving in. I made the experience that this falsifies the shots trajectory.
What i do (if i don't forget) is that i hit 3 twice to kill the camera movementm, when i don't mine is moving slower and slower but during about half a minute!

This might be something the devs want to have a look into.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

YuriTheRed

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »
Thanks for the response Lorin.  I'll try and remember to write down any shots where this is occurring so I can post them here.  I've been feverishly working on a desert theme course that I'm almost happy with, so once that's done I should have a chance to test more real courses for this situation.

In all honesty, I don't mind if there is a very slight deviation, but at times I was noticing that the ball flight changed as much as 5 yards one way or the other, which is pretty intense.  I'll post some actual shot data as soon as I can.  Thanks again for the response!

p2035

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:55 PM »
On the Steam forums Lorin has publicly stated that HB has not introduced ANY type of random landing into the game on purpose (not even small deviations) so we can rule out that it's being done on purpose at this point.   

Quote from Lorin's Steam post:  "We did not introduce any random factor, just so you know. "

Also, it's not accurate to assume that these deviations are happening 'only' for perfect shots, since I can personally verify that they are happening for slightly imperfect shots too.

That's the real issue.  Few people hit perfect shots but lots of people hit slightly imperfect shots.

This means that if you're not 100% 'perfectly' accurate (no x axis deviation whatsoever) then your random landing deviation will be added to your normal deviation, therefore leaving 'well executed shots' much further off the mark than is warranted. 

I agree with Magru, especially for iron shots.   

Over the last month the swing has been tuned to be harder to make 'perfect' (both power wise and accuracy wise) so if a person occasionally achieves that perfect swing when the moment is depending on it, why should they wind up in a bunker or rough just because of random landing?

I love the game and don't really have a big gripe here, other than to say I agree with Magru's point of view that penalizing a well executed shot doesn't seem fair. 

But thankfully, according to Lorin's post, HB has not introduced any random landing deviations on purpose and are treating this issue as something that they're attempting to reproduce and hopefully resolve.

ralphieboy72

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 12:36:01 AM »
Hitting the ball straight with the XBox controller is already too easy to me. If this is a bug, you're telling me some of my shots are missing MORE than they should be right now.  ??  Yikes! 

I'm going on a red cone shrinking campaign! LOL.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:29 PM »
i am still noticing variations. have any of these things been able to be verified?
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 12:31:32 AM »
may 30th
xusemagru
tgc may invitational 2nd round
14th hole 3rd shot

i was on a severe slope ball way below my feet and i lined up for it and the ball shot out straight. i had a perfectly straight swing line. there is no way that ball should not have gone right
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 01:44:04 AM »
I've thought I've noticed it too but I still find it in an acceptable range.  Even the best PGA players don't throw darts for an entire round.  As long as you aim for the middle of the fairway and you hit a perfectly straight shot and you still end up on the fairway it's good for me. 

A suggestion to attach a game mechanic to this would be to have a "cone of error" that is affected by the pace of your swing.  But that'll just open another can of worms.

space-cash