Issues with Shot Direction?

• 38 Replies

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
im still not a fan of this and the fact it has not been addressed or that we have been told that yes the examples we provided are in fact mi****s or the ground wasnt level. i have barely played this game in the past week plus and this is one of the reasons why.
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

p2035

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
I've thought I've noticed it too but I still find it in an acceptable range.  Even the best PGA players don't throw darts for an entire round.  As long as you aim for the middle of the fairway and you hit a perfectly straight shot and you still end up on the fairway it's good for me. 

@Doyley: Your point is logical for players who hit perfectly but not for average players.  Average players will not hit the ball 'perfectly' and will thus see a 'random' deviation penalty added to their already 'deviated' shot.....which will produce massive deviations for slightly mi**** shots, when in fact the deviation should have been smaller.   

You're assuming that everybody's a perfect hitter or that this deviation only happens for perfect hits, both of which are not established facts yet.    So while you may not see an issue, others will.

I've personally witnessed even greater randomness than what I had shown before (I recorded a 2nd video to prove it).  However, since HB hasn't fixed any of the several bugs that I've reported I'm not even going to bother submitting any more proof.  Waste of time.  Video deleted.

If HB has implemented random landing then that's fine with me, but they need to acknowledge it and list this feature front and center so that people will understand that the game has random landing.  EA listed random landing when they included it.   

What's the point of taking the time to calculate left/right adjustments if randomness will come into play?   Just skip the calculations and aim for the central fairway and wait for the lottery to reveal itself.  It will save you time.

@xusemargu:   I agree 100%.   The fact that HB won't even acknowledge this issue anymore likely means that they don't know how to reproduce it and are therefore going to pretend that it's largely imaginary.   

In fact, when reading HB_Lorin's post I had originally assumed he was interested in getting to the bottom of the issue and reproducing it, and then fixing it.   That's why I took the time to make the short video.   But when I re-read his post again today, I now see that his intention wasn't to reproduce the issue but to use telemetry to tell people it's their fault.   I see his post as damage control or deflection (IMO) and not as a serious attempt to address this known issue.   

I just think HB is so behind schedule that they don't have time to address any issues except getting the console versions released.   

I think they're making a mistake by rushing the game out when the bugs keeps piling up and they can't even reproduce them.   I think they feel so much pressure to get it released that nothing else even gets through to them.

This game is not ready for release, that's for sure.   It's a great game and is coming along very nicely, I love the game, but it's probably a couple months away from being ready for release (with major bugs fixed).  But the forums would explode if they delayed so that's not even a possibility. lol.

I've personally stopped reporting bugs and stopped recording screenshots/videos to assist HB as of this week, since they never do anything about them anyway and it's a waste of time to give them any info.

At this stage there's not much we can do except wait for the masses of console gamers to give a huge backlash when they discover all of these bugs.   Reality has a way of making things right in the long run.   We'll just have to accept the randomness for now I guess.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
im still not a fan of this and the fact it has not been addressed or that we have been told that yes the examples we provided are in fact mi****s or the ground wasnt level. i have barely played this game in the past week plus and this is one of the reasons why.

@xusemargu:   I agree 100%.   The fact that HB won't even acknowledge this issue anymore likely means that they don't know how to reproduce it and are therefore going to pretend that it's largely imaginary.   

In fact, when reading HB_Lorin's post I had originally assumed he was interested in getting to the bottom of the issue and reproducing it, and then fixing it.   That's why I took the time to make the short video.   But when I re-read his post again today, I now see that his intention wasn't to reproduce the issue but to use telemetry to tell people it's their fault.   I see his post as damage control or deflection (IMO) and not as a serious attempt to address this known issue.

Hi guys -

My post (the one I believe is being referred to above) was most certainly not meant as a deflection, but as a genuine attempt to gather information so that, when the time comes for us to look at this, we have as much information as possible.  It has been less than two weeks since my post asking for information and, to put it honestly, we just haven't gotten to it yet.  We have been very open about the fact that we have been hard at work on the console versions and the submission process, as well as preparing for E3.  I have not updated this thread because I have had nothing of value to say on the subject until we can look at it.  But, suffice it to say, this is still on our radar.

As you know, the community is very important to us and we take your feedback seriously.  We also strive very hard to keep you informed and to make sure that you know that your feedback is being heard.  If I failed to do that in this thread, than I apologize.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
I literally have barely played this week I got tired of shots I lined up starting out off target and ending up farther off target. My frustration was just on the lack of communication on if they are mi****s or not or if we need to get you guys more info. I realize you guys are getting pulled into 75 billion different directions so I'm  not too concerned. But that update is good enough for me. But this issue to me is way more important than helping out poor putters in this game by automatically doing calculations for then or some of the other updates we saw in build 8
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 03:41:15 PM »
I literally have barely played this week I got tired of shots I lined up starting out off target and ending up farther off target.

How far offline are we talking?  Was the slope of your lie taken into account?  I believe the left/right slope is a factor that needs to be considered (not sure of the up/downhill lie).  I know I've forgotten to take that into account on some shots and the ball is offline on a perfect swing.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »
These are off of tee boxes where I find the variations I flight paths and landing areas. So spots that SHOULD be level. Also in mind with the above and below it's be great if we had an indication besides visually on the screen to see if it is above or below. In one of my examples in this thread there was a ball clearly below my feet, I lined up for it hit my shot and my line was straight and that ball did not kick to the right at all like it should have
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

p2035

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
These are off of tee boxes where I find the variations I flight paths and landing areas. So spots that SHOULD be level. Also in mind with the above and below it's be great if we had an indication besides visually on the screen to see if it is above or below. In one of my examples in this thread there was a ball clearly below my feet, I lined up for it hit my shot and my line was straight and that ball did not kick to the right at all like it should have

@Magru: Based on my observations (of the 'obvious' cases of random landing), what I think is happening is that the game 'thinks' the ground is sloped differently than it appears to us visually (and it probably reports this "false sloping" in the telemetry data sent back to HB).

Thus HB's telemetry, which they're trying to use to justify that nothing is wrong, is probably nothing but GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) for a certain percentage of the time.   

This would also explain the other bugs I'm seeing.......where my ball is positioned on a moderate slope (say 10-15 degrees above feet) but my golfer's avatar is defying the laws of gravity and is standing on an imaginary slope that's triple the real slope (his heels are touching the ground but the rest of his feet are way up in the air with no ground beneath them, and his body is tilted massively backwards as if to fall backwards).

This proves that the game can't 'detect' all slopes perfectly in all situations, else the golfer's body wouldn't be incorrectly standing on a slope that doesn't visually exist.   

HB can't tap dance around this obvious fact.  I recorded several videos of this too but chose not to submit them to HB, as I'm done doing that.

I remain convinced that the 'slope' of each shot is being falsely detected in some circumstances by the game, which is why the ball is being kicked left or right randomly (e.g. the ball doesn't drift offline after being hit so it's not false wind affecting the ball, it's always kicked offline from the moment it leaves the tee box which means a false slope is causing it).

Or the opposite is true, where the game is visually showing us a flatter area than is really present inside the course DNA (thus we may see a flat area or a small slope, but the DNA shows something else).  Either way it's the same result.   

I believe that their telemetry is garbage and bug ridden, specifically because it relies on the bug ridden game to create it in the first place.  Are we to believe this part of the game is 'holy' and beyond bugs?   Methinks not.

Doyley

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
HB can't tap dance around this obvious fact.  I recorded several videos of this too but chose not to submit them to HB, as I'm done doing that.

That's unfortunate.  If there is a problem and you found it - it would be nice if you submitted it regardless of past experiences.  If you come across it again would you mind keeping them and sending it in? 

HB_LorinB

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 09:47:53 PM »
Thus HB's telemetry, which they're trying to use to justify that nothing is wrong, is probably nothing but GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) for a certain percentage of the time.     

p2035 - With all due respect, the tone in your last couple of posts has been quite aggressive towards the studio and, for the life of me, I can't figure out quite why.  I do not believe that I, or anyone else from HB Studios, has said that this is not an issue or that this is the fault of the player.  If I am wrong, please point me to the post in which we have (and that is not meant sarcastically - I genuinely would like to be aware of it).  We are neither tap dancing nor acting as if nothing is wrong.  I have simply stated that we did not add a randomness factor to the game that should cause this, asked for examples of players' experiences of this phenomenon to help us troubleshoot, and then stated that we have not been able to get to chasing down this particular issue yet. 

If you are receiving a different message that I am unaware of, one that implies that we feel this is a non-issue, please let me know and I will absolutely address it.  Otherwise, please be mindful of your tone in your posts.  Just as respect towards other forum members is an expectation of this forum, so too is respect towards the members of HB Studios.

YuriTheRed

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 10:23:05 AM »
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.  I'm not sure why there's so much hostility when all that was said is that this hasn't been looked into yet.  All I would ask is that you please do keep us informed when this is addressed.  Honestly, it really isn't that big of a deal to me, I only posted this because I happened to notice it and wasn't sure if it was working as intended or a bug.

Hawk Eye

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 02:30:23 AM »
To me a lot of Tees look as though they slope / not level , the right side being higher than the left, some one in the Course creator threads stated, tees cannot be kept level when you put elevations on them ?.
So if the game plays true as others do, the sloping tee , right side higher than the left will cause a Hook.

P2035 is right about the on screen players foot stance,but doe's it influence the shot ?.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:53:06 AM by Hawk Eye »

YuriTheRed

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
To me a lot of Tees look as though they slope / not level , the right side being higher than the left, some one in the Course creator threads stated, tees cannot be kept level when you put elevations on them ?.
So if the game plays true as others do, the sloping tee , right side higher than the left will cause a Hook.

P2035 is right about the on screen players foot stance,but doe's it influence the shot ?.

The issue though is that even if it DOES slope to the left, the ball will sometimes start off right of where it's aimed, and move further right as it flies.  That doesn't seem like it should happen unless it's a mi****.  Sometimes it is just a mi**** for me, but other times I can hit it smack in the middle of the bar and still watch it start off left or right of where I aimed, regardless of terrain impact.

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 12:39:02 AM »
i am bumping this so it does not get lost...this is STILL an issue.
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

Hawk Eye

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
i am bumping this so it does not get lost...this is STILL an issue.
Yes i played a course i made today, shots at par 3's were definately well off line,showed a very straight shot on the line ,not much wind across,about 3/4 mph from the right,allowed for the wind,shots finished well left of the pin.
Try this if you use a controller,swith to left thumb stick

xusemagru

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
I use the left thumb stick already
Courses Created:

Hunters Ridge C.C.
Magru National C.C.
Magru Canyon

space-cash