A civil discussion about a 4th club set

• 31 Replies

jeffbdvs

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
The most telling thing for me are the random online players that I all-too-rarely encounter who play Master clubs.

Judging by some of their shots, Master clubs are not too easy. I know they are not too easy for me. Master club woods, hybrids and long irons allow me to frequently practice my fairway sand shots, my bunker shots next to the green, my chips out of the rough, and my short-sided flop shots.
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
The most telling thing for me are the random online players that I all-too-rarely encounter who play Master clubs.

Judging by some of their shots, Master clubs are not too easy. I know they are not too easy for me. Master club woods, hybrids and long irons allow me to frequently practice my fairway sand shots, my bunker shots next to the green, my chips out of the rough, and my short-sided flop shots.

I agree with you.  Master Clubs are NOT too easy.  I have spent many hundreds of hours playing TGC, TGC2, and now TGC 2019.  I still get tempo issues on almost every single hole--especially on drives, that leaves me in many hazards.  I have still not MASTERED the Master Clubs despite hundreds of hours playing.

Lancers

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:49 PM »
Master clubs are not easy for me either and I miss my share of fairways and greens but still manage to shoot decent scores at least for me. If someone wants to play with Beginner clubs and shoot -10 I say let them have at it but that shouldn't preclude the game getting a shade tougher set implemented in future games.

Putting is tough for me.  8)

jeffbdvs

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »

Putting is tough for me.  8)
^^^^
This. In Spades.

1.7 or 1.8 or 1.9

My usual PPH stat. 1.5 PPH is my goal. Under 1.5 and I feel like I've won the lottery.
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

Leadbelly

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »
Putting was harder for me when I played with mouse/keyboard back a version or so ago. But for some odd reason my putting has improved, since switching to a controller. Had I known that I would have purchased a controller when the game was first released years ago.

kgboomer

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »

And that's the main reason we're not going to see a 4th set, there's no return of investment and it would just divide the community even more for those wanting to play against their own.

Stan Solo

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
Putting was harder for me when I played with mouse/keyboard back a version or so ago. But for some odd reason my putting has improved, since switching to a controller. Had I known that I would have purchased a controller when the game was first released years ago.

............... welcome to the 21st century     ;)

mebby

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 07:02:44 PM »
I've long since been a proponent of adding more difficulty and I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with where the game currently stands with Master Clubs.   I posted this in another thread but here are the stats of myself and Martbloke versus the 2018 PGA TOUR stats (in total and top 10).  Both of us play without assists using Master Clubs.

What I think this points to is that driving the ball off the tee is a still a bit too easy and putting without grids is maybe a touch too difficult.  But overall - I'd say it's pretty well balanced.  So hats off to HBS in my book.  I think they've done a splendid job!

Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
I know but I agree with jeffield. As someone who played Player Clubs in TGC2 and now plays Master Clubs I do think another tougher set should be added. If HB is stuck on 3 just drop the Beginner set.

So you would drop the beginner set, in order to satisfy the needs of long term players? 

I personally play Masters clubs, but I don't think that dropping the beginner set is a wise decision from a business/revenue standpoint.  You have to have a way to onboard new players, and keep your customer base growing.

I would do that and I would be glad to tell you why. I'm an old man turn 67 this year. My hands don't work like they used to have a touch of arthritis. Yet I have no problem with the most difficult set in this game but could only manage Pro in TCG2. If I can play Masters surely even the most challenged player can manage the Pro set in this game.

I agree with what lancers says here about the current club sets.  I really believe  the master set would make a really, really good "pro " labeled set , re label the  current pro set as intermediate , keep the beginner set and then work on a nice expert/ master set.   After this you could do any adjustments to the gameplay that you liked in regards to what others have suggested such as overswing and,  green firmness and you'd really be there.  In my opinion.
  Broken record but man I think this is so true to cover all the gameplay wants.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:27:02 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

mebby

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 09:12:44 AM »
In an odd sort of way I agree with ALL the viewpoints expressed in this thread.

One thing I feel strongly about for sure is the importance of having a very approachable level for beginners and casuals.  Without this level of play the game will struggle to gain much traction.

I also strongly believe that there needs to be a progression of difficulty that keeps the die-hards interested.

I ALSO feel that HBS has responded in a big way to most of the pleadings to add more realism into the game.  I think they've squeezed about as much juice as possible from the current setup (with multiple club sets instead of true difficulty levels) and I'm very pleased with the result.

I also know they've openly received all the constructive feedback provided and I'm very curious to see what they do with it in future versions of the game.  The foundation of this game is stronger than it's ever been which means the potential for this game is very high.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

Martbloke

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »
In an odd sort of way I agree with ALL the viewpoints expressed in this thread.

One thing I feel strongly about for sure is the importance of having a very approachable level for beginners and casuals.  Without this level of play the game will struggle to gain much traction.

I also strongly believe that there needs to be a progression of difficulty that keeps the die-hards interested.

I ALSO feel that HBS has responded in a big way to most of the pleadings to add more realism into the game.  I think they've squeezed about as much juice as possible from the current setup (with multiple club sets instead of true difficulty levels) and I'm very pleased with the result.

I also know they've openly received all the constructive feedback provided and I'm very curious to see what they do with it in future versions of the game.  The foundation of this game is stronger than it's ever been which means the potential for this game is very high.

+1 👍

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 09:24:49 AM »
I did recently purchase this game on the pc as well. And, playing with the mouse gives a much more realistic feel to playing a round of golf than the standard controller does on the ps4. / more fun for me than knocking at birdie all day.  When it gets like the ps4  gameplay the courses become mere eye candy for the most part.   
   With the mouse I've found myself at the range getting a feel for tempo,  nervous about risky shots on the course/ water carries and such.   th I king about dropping back to the pro set.  All of the things I would want in a golf game.  May be time to become a full on computer gamer instead of just a gaming laptop.  Good thing about that is next gen is always right now . With upgradeable parts.  I see this coming and me loving tgc. On the pc.
   I have tried a newer controller on the ps4 as my controller is about 2 yrs old. Didn't see much difference. 
    "Different strokes for different folks" as they say.

Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

Martbloke

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 09:41:36 AM »
I did recently purchase this game on the pc as well. And, playing with the mouse gives a much more realistic feel to playing a round of golf than the standard controller does on the ps4. / more fun for me than knocking at birdie all day.  When it gets like the ps4  gameplay the courses become mere eye candy for the most part.   
   With the mouse I've found myself at the range getting a feel for tempo,  nervous about risky shots on the course/ water carries and such.   th I king about dropping back to the pro set.  All of the things I would want in a golf game.  May be time to become a full on computer gamer instead of just a gaming laptop.  Good thing about that is next gen is always right now . With upgradeable parts.  I see this coming and me loving tgc. On the pc.
   I have tried a newer controller on the ps4 as my controller is about 2 yrs old. Didn't see much difference. 

I'd love that nervousness feeling on the tee hitting into a dangerous green (say 17th @ Sawgrass) but I don't currently get that from the Masters on Xbox. It's more challenging than before the last patch but still not quite where if like it to be.

Like a few of the others have said in here and other posts, if they add a proper overswing system in along with changeable tempo bands dependent on the difficulty of the shot and hitting over 100%, then I think I'd start to get that wonderful, nervous feeling when coming up to these iconic holes.

mebby

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 09:46:57 AM »

I'd love that nervousness feeling on the tee hitting into a dangerous green (say 17th @ Sawgrass) but I don't currently get that from the Masters on Xbox. It's more challenging than before the last patch but still not quite where if like it to be.

Like a few of the others have said in here and other posts, if they add a proper overswing system in along with changeable tempo bands dependent on the difficulty of the shot and hitting over 100%, then I think I'd start to get that wonderful, nervous feeling when coming up to these iconic holes.

+1!

Maybe in future versions.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 10:29:23 AM »
There will not be a 4th club set/difficulty added to TGC 2019.

Correct decision, better to spend effort in TGC2k20 on a proper sim mode and reversing this strange slow downswing wipe fade going long...

space-cash