Course overview

• 3 Replies

Allan5813

« on: January 08, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
I think someone has already brought up this topic before, but I feel its worth another mention.  I think it would be a great game enhancement if there was an option at the beginning a round of golf, to have a flyover of the entire course (with the option to stop or start it at anytime before or during a round). I think that firstly it would give a golfer new to that course an overview that may help in planning course strategy, and familiarising oneself with the course, and secondly, it could showcase the designers work that is not always seen off the fairways and greens. It would be a great enhancement and also allow designers to be much more creative. I also feel it would be a great enhancement if crowds could be turned off or on as an option for any round played. There could be a sliding scale of crowds depending on the round/players and also it would be good if when the crowds are turned off, the crowd seating/ tournament objects are also turned off. I would be pleased to hear your  comments on whether this is a good/feasible idea?
My courses are
BABLOCKHYTHE FERRY
ROYAL WINDSOR
FRILFORD COUNTRY CLUB
RADLEY PARK
FLORENCE PARK
KINGSTON BAGPUIZE
NORTHFIELD GC
BICESTER OLD COURSE
CHERWELL VALLEY GC
DRAYTON MANOR COUNTRY CLUB
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY GC
SUTTON COURTENAY COUNTRY CLUB
ROYAL BERKSHIRE GC
SWEET BRIAR COUNTRY CLUB

jamescostanza

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:35:59 PM »
Is it a good idea, you bet.  Is it feasible I don't know.

pozbaird

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 02:50:33 PM »
Personally, I don’t need to see designers work ‘off the fairways and greens’. My own opinion is that the success of a course primarily depends on what work has been done in areas likely to be seen and played on. Clearly, there are designers better than me, who go the extra mile, and everything, even in areas never seen, is absolutely 100% perfect, and I salute their efforts. However, if even some of the most talented designers have ‘ignored’ dead areas outwith the reasonable bounds of the 18 hole world they’ve created, then I don’t need to know about it.

Having had a look at the effort a designer made this week to create train tracks using shelters and sunken bridge sections, I feel a more useful addition would be to provide a range of basic building block shapes, almost like Lego bricks, to enable talented designers to create bespoke elements. On the same course, the designer re-created a train signalling station by placing a shelter on top of a toilet block. It was a bold effort, and clearly a case of attempting to solve a problem by using anything available. Why not have a sizeable selection of ‘building block’ parts that designers can unleash their imagination on?

Just my opinion.
2K21 Courses:

Verloren Islands Retreat
Royal Alba Links
Chernobyl Golf Club
Thunder Bay Golf Club
Cherry Creek CC 2K21
Hogwarts Golf Club 2K21
Central Park GC 2K21
Sport City Las Vegas 2K21
Gofritt Golf Club 2K21
The 2112 Club

Allan5813

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Personally, I don’t need to see designers work ‘off the fairways and greens’. My own opinion is that the success of a course primarily depends on what work has been done in areas likely to be seen and played on. Clearly, there are designers better than me, who go the extra mile, and everything, even in areas never seen, is absolutely 100% perfect, and I salute their efforts. However, if even some of the most talented designers have ‘ignored’ dead areas outwith the reasonable bounds of the 18 hole world they’ve created, then I don’t need to know about it.

Having had a look at the effort a designer made this week to create train tracks using shelters and sunken bridge sections, I feel a more useful addition would be to provide a range of basic building block shapes, almost like Lego bricks, to enable talented designers to create bespoke elements. On the same course, the designer re-created a train signalling station by placing a shelter on top of a toilet block. It was a bold effort, and clearly a case of attempting to solve a problem by using anything available. Why not have a sizeable selection of ‘building block’ parts that designers can unleash their imagination on?

Just my opinion.

I agree that there should be more building block parts as this would enable more creativity.
However, I appreciate that you personally don't need to see what a designer creates off the fairways and greens, I personally think that golf is not just about the fairways and greens. I feel that each course creates an ambience uniquely and this impacts on how you feel about the course and how you play the course. Lighting and weather conditions are not part of the fairways and greens, but it certainly has an impact on your play.  I believe that when you look around a course, you get a feel for how you want to engage with the course which I believe most golfers can identify with.

I agree with you that the fairways and greens are the main areas that needs the work done as to determine what strategies you need to employ in order to play the course well. But when I play golf, I want to be immersed in the atmosphere and traditions of the course and its history. I just think that the creation of a golf course is more than just the fairways and greens. When I design my courses, I spend a lot of time on the fairways and greens in order to make each whole a challenge for each golfer but also interesting enough in the hope that the golfers are not just hitting the ball but are taking note of their surroundings.
My courses are
BABLOCKHYTHE FERRY
ROYAL WINDSOR
FRILFORD COUNTRY CLUB
RADLEY PARK
FLORENCE PARK
KINGSTON BAGPUIZE
NORTHFIELD GC
BICESTER OLD COURSE
CHERWELL VALLEY GC
DRAYTON MANOR COUNTRY CLUB
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY GC