An Open Letter to HB Studios..... Let's improve multiplayer together!

• 14 Replies

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:51:46 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

Make is simplier to dive into a match with friends..  No more multiple screen hoop jumping.

Also, start thinking about a lobby so we can setup a match and wait for others to join,  or simply
invite a friend after creation and have us simply be able to just start playing...

We need progress more on multiplayer than we do the course designer at this point..  I haven't been on the forum much at all lately because I'm not playing the game at the moment, but I come on it's designers mainly promoting their courses.. This is fine,  and we all appreciate the designers,  but lets get the social aspect a little more fluid for those of us whom actually only like to play the game.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

Make is simplier to dive into a match with friends..  No more multiple screen hoop jumping.

Also, start thinking about a lobby so we can setup a match and wait for others to join,  or simply
invite a friend after creation and have us simply be able to just start playing...

We need progress more on multiplayer than we do the course designer at this point..  I haven't been on the forum much at all lately because I'm not playing the game at the moment, but I come on it's designers mainly promoting their courses.. This is fine,  and we all appreciate the designers,  but lets get the social aspect a little more fluid for those of us whom actually only like to play the game.

In terms of multiplayer the tournament interface is in much more need of attention than match-making that works pretty well considering.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

In terms of multiplayer the tournament interface is in much more need of attention than match-making that works pretty well considering.

I'm not specifically talking about matchmaking honestly. Of course the cheesers kind of ruined matchmaking for master club users but that is what it is...

When you say they need to work on the tournament aspect,  what exactly are you talking about?  Do you find that the private match invite system is fluid and easy for just about anyone to use and get in a game without chatting while setting up the match?  I have found that unless I'm in a group chat with someone it's almost impossible to figure out...  I feel like I shouldn't have to create a party room to setup up a custom match quite honestly.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 08:16:35 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

I'm not specifically talking about matchmaking honestly. Of course the cheesers kind of ruined matchmaking for master club users but that is what it is...

When you say they need to work on the tournament aspect,  what exactly are you talking about?  Do you find that the private match invite system is fluid and easy for just about anyone to use and get in a game without chatting while setting up the match?  I have found that unless I'm in a group chat with someone it's almost impossible to figure out...  I feel like I shouldn't have to create a party room to setup up a custom match quite honestly.

Its pretty much standard fare for modern games - party up outside the game and link it up. And matchmaking killed lobbies a long time ago. Personally I dont use the matchmaking as the structure around it is non-existent. No divisions to climb, no visible progress, no nice onboarding "tale of the tape" screen etc. etc.

For tournaments its all the things missing to make it a more immersive and realistic tournament experience:

- Working leaderboards that display players scores as if they were actually in the tournament at the same time as you.
- Possibility to set up courses for a tournament with specific tees per hole and round. Pin placements by the tournament director.
- Better visibilty of players playing at the same time as you. On leaderboard, on course, thru notifications etc.
- Dead-lines per round
- Multi course tournaments
- Pairing you with the correct players based on your position in the tournament (Ghosts or live)
- Being able to play with ghosts that respect the rules of golf and play in correct order
- Being able to lock down more options to create a more sim like experience (this one is for the sim crowd only)
- Matchplay and team tournaments (foursome / alt shot, best ball, ryder cup style tournaments, straight matchplay, stoke matchplay)

liquidsnake000

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 07:05:16 AM »
Yeah, it was needed..

I'm sure you had a full makeover of the online thing when the new game was built, where as I paid 45 pound for what was technically a new multi player system and not lot else I never complained, but for you to still be banging on about forget the designer and concentrate on the lobby thing and the social thing just hang on a second, I think maybe the designer gets a look in now, because lets not forget we got virtually nothing added from a designers point of view in the 2019 game, so i think it would be nice to have something else get alittle time spent on it now i think, we wouldnt have much of a game at all without those tremendously talented guys out there who design some wonderful courses, so lets not be too selfish and spread some other goodies out to the rest of golf club fanbase shall we please

Thankyou.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 07:09:44 AM by liquidsnake000 »
bring on 2019 tgc.

phil tarry

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 05:22:23 AM »
you tell em liquid mate.and we wont be getting anything .
else either looks like game over maybe there working on
new add ons or 0+0=0 more stuff HB plenty Can be added.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »
Yeah, it was needed..

I agree, setting up a friendly match is like pulling teeth if you're not used to doing it.  Jumping from screen  to screen.  Most non regulars will probably just give up on it.
    I do think the designer should always continue to progress though.  We need fescue for sure.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:32:28 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 01:32:25 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

I agree, setting up a friendly match is like pulling teeth if you're not used to doing it.  Jumping from screen  to screen.  Most non regulars will probably just give up on it.
    I do think the designer should always continue to progress though.  We need fescue for sure.
That was really all was trying to say, getting a game going through a private match takes chatting or no one can figure it out.. and matchplay was too limiting. HB made progress for sure but still has a ways to go.

jeffbdvs

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 01:57:10 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

That was really all was trying to say, getting a game going through a private match takes chatting or no one can figure it out.. and matchplay was too limiting. HB made progress for sure but still has a ways to go.
FWIW, I thought the leap from TGC2 to TGC2019 regarding Matchmaking online was immense. IMO, fine tuning and consideration of a lobby system is all that's required from here.
How did I make a twelve on a par five hole? It's simple - I missed a four foot putt for an eleven.
 - Arnold Palmer

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:49:54 PM »
Yeah, it was needed..

I'm sure you had a full makeover of the online thing when the new game was built, where as I paid 45 pound for what was technically a new multi player system and not lot else I never complained, but for you to still be banging on about forget the designer and concentrate on the lobby thing and the social thing just hang on a second, I think maybe the designer gets a look in now, because lets not forget we got virtually nothing added from a designers point of view in the 2019 game, so i think it would be nice to have something else get alittle time spent on it now i think, we wouldnt have much of a game at all without those tremendously talented guys out there who design some wonderful courses, so lets not be too selfish and spread some other goodies out to the rest of golf club fanbase shall we please

Thankyou.

You have got to be kidding!  I can give you list a mile long of improvements they made to the designer each and every time including this rendition....  The small makeover they did to multiplayer was incredibly way long over due,  so what you're saying about multiplayer getting more love is an absolute joke.  No doubt each and every aspect of TGC needs to improve and I would argue in saying that it needs to be rebuilt because the same old look is growing stale,  it's time for a fresh start or I'm afraid many won't be buying it.

To say that I'm being selfish wanting them to focus on multiplayer is a bit crazy in the sense that this game is build around the course designer and everything else has been an after thought.  All you have to do is look at the forum to see designers pimping their courses day after day and dominating headlines.  Why do you think this is?  It's because it's the best part of the game in terms of implementation.  One other thing you may be missing is there aren't as many threads about people talking multiplayer shop.  That is because it's still way behind the times and you need a degree to setup a fun game with a friend....

Do me a favor,  and think next time before say someone is being selfish.  Facts are the course designer is alive and kicking while multiplayer is lacking to the point it keeps guys such as myself who love this type of play from even wanting to try.  All many of us are asking is to be able to setup a game and it's parameters and invite someone to play by posting it live.  We don't want to send them a chat request first so that we can hold each other hands through the process.  We also don't want to as master club users be pitted against a TGC tours hero using baby clubs which happens all the time...  The multiplayer system while better still is broken and is not fun overall even though it was a step in the right direction.. 

When it comes to the course creator from my perspective,  I get to play thousands of great courses by terrific designers so I absolutely see no flaws there. I'm sure designers want more bells and whistles but to pretend the designer has taken a back seat to multiplayer is laughable.

liquidsnake000

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »
That's just your opinion, lets have this list that is a mile long then about the course designer, we got virtually nothing new AT ALL, the game is just tgc 2 pimped up with multiplayer added that STILL  doesn't work properly, all the beta testing was about if I remember correctly was multiplayer that's all it was about nothing much else, so, no, I stand by my original post thankyou, they have spent enough time on that thing for me its time to move on im afraid.
The fact that people have been asking for a lobby system which would sort the problem apparently still isn't in the game 4 years later should tell you everything about how highly they rate having a multplayer system in the game to begin with.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:15:36 PM by liquidsnake000 »
bring on 2019 tgc.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:41 PM »
Definitely needs a way to play randoms with agreed upon settings by whoever is in the room. Tiger had a great matchmaking system. You decided what course and the settings. Then you waited for someone to join. If they agreed they hit ready. If you didn't want to play them you could kick them. Easy as pie.

The one thing I hope they keep is ability to play anyone like you can now. Aids no aids doesn't matter. I really like that .

Another thing that would be nice is a unranked record. I wish I knew what mine was.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Martbloke

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »
Also head to head stats. Would be cool if when you play someone again whether ranked or not, that you see your record against them. I think FIFA brought this in starting last year's game and thought it was a nice touch.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 06:53:21 PM »
That's just your opinion, lets have this list that is a mile long then about the course designer, we got virtually nothing new AT ALL, the game is just tgc 2 pimped up with multiplayer added that STILL  doesn't work properly, all the beta testing was about if I remember correctly was multiplayer that's all it was about nothing much else, so, no, I stand by my original post thankyou, they have spent enough time on that thing for me its time to move on im afraid.
The fact that people have been asking for a lobby system which would sort the problem apparently still isn't in the game 4 years later should tell you everything about how highly they rate having a multplayer system in the game to begin with.

Look snake,  I'm sorry if I came off to hot,  I agree the multiplayer works really well once your in game so they did well...  The frustrating part is and I know you agree that ease of getting connected and having a customizable experience is lacking because of the steps that must be taken.  My whole frustration was the matchmaking had so much potential but they got some very important things wrong like allowing it to be exploited.  It simply should be setup that everyone be encouraged to move up to master clubs because lets face it,  they're harder but not unreasonable.  This way,  the master club users whom are skilled should win,  and that is as it should be..  Now, it's where a skilled player is going to wax a most master club users using easier clubs.  This is a major issue honestly,  and it effects everyone negatively.  There is no encouragement to move up to the better clubs. 

The private match setup is a debacle in a nutshell and for the life of me I don't know what they were thinking with how difficult it is..  They should no better than making people start a party room first before they setup a game and parameters.  The way it's setup you have to invite someone two different time basically and if you're not familiar with the game it makes no sense.  It basically forces you into chatting and communication to get anything done which is lame especially when you don't feel like it.

liquidsnake000

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »
John, I agree with you and the others about the multiplayer, and you have wanted a lobby system since god spoke to moses, and frstdwn is right about tiger having a great lobby system, all im saying hb must have a reason ( money, cost, etc ) as why they havnt put one in the game by now, I don't think they are going to put one in this version of the game now either, maybe the next one ( if they do another one that is ) but in order to have this work properly its definitely needs a lobby of sorts for sure, as for the course designer, why you cant even rotate things like rocks 360% and stuff drives me nuts, that's just one example, ive said it many times, hb have some world class ideas, but the thing that stops this game being absolutely world class in my opinion is the just wont give people full customable stuff to play with, everything is always with the handbrake applied a little, its very frustrating.
bring on 2019 tgc.

space-cash