Absolute beginner

• 4 Replies

popdada

« on: March 08, 2019, 09:12:48 PM »
So, I picked this up on sale at GameStop. I have played EA Tiger Woods for years, but, this is my first experience with TGC. I’m truly enjoy the game so far. Watching videos and reading the forum here for pointers. I’m on my first PGA tour, I started on easy with the beginner clubs, and finish -2 or 3 under par for most games. I tried a few rounds today with the next set of clubs (pro?) and I’m hitting about  a -1 plus 1. It hasn’t been a huge step up in difficulty. Should I move up?or play the pros for a while? Also can someone point me to a post or something that explains the whole societies thing, I’m lost.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:17:29 PM by popdada »

wim1234

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
So, I picked this up on sale at GameStop. I have played EA Tiger Woods for years, but, this is my first experience with TGC. I’m truly enjoy the game so far. Watching videos and reading the forum here for pointers. I’m on my first PGA tour, I started on easy with the beginner clubs, and finish -2 or 3 under par for most games. I tried a few rounds today with the next set of clubs (pro?) and I’m hitting about  a -1 plus 1. It hasn’t been a huge step up in difficulty. Should I move up?or play the pros for a while? Also can someone point me to a post or something that explains the whole societies thing, I’m lost.

just try out the clubs that suit you best. al lot depends on what platform you play too. i play on the pro clubs, xbox, masterclubs are too difficult for me, i play casual, meaning maybe 2 / 3 courses a week.   
for masterclubs you need to play more i think.
also dont forget to look at tgc tours.
societies are meeting places for likewise minded ppl, so you can make friends, play matches etc.
basic is, play in a way so you have fun with it..dont listen to ppl telling you how to play !!!!  find out for yourself.
greetings and have loads of fun.

less than bread

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
Little late to this one but if you're still looking for opinions here's mine. I've had the game for a couple months now so still newer to it as well. Like you I grew up playing T Woods and there was a slight learning curve to TGC. The swing tempo and swing line are not nearly as forgiving as T Woods but the landing circle is much smaller so there's a decent trade off.

I started out using Pro Clubs and played around on the driving range for 20 minutes to get the tempo and shot modifiers down before an actual round.

Once I got scoring 7-9 under consistently with Pro Clubs, I moved up to Masters and it has been up and down ever since (as it should be in my opinion). Some days I'm really good, some days I can't hit anything, just like you see in real golf.

My suggestion, try out the master clubs on the driving range and see how you fare. No right or wrong way to play the game and that's what the range is there for. If Pro Clubs are difficult enough, stick with those. If they start to become too easy and make the game boring, time for a change.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:46:35 PM by less than bread »
Courses:
Minnehaugen Park
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

ralphhutson

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:41:13 PM »
where are you located?

popdada

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »
thanks for the feed back I started my career over with the pros and am doing ok, Im located in NY

space-cash