* Edited Original Title * - Designer Functional Feature Wishlist

• 31 Replies

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 08:16:37 PM »
As for Tees.....  you can easily make them however you want them.  Turn the size slider all the way down and then put whatever shape and size you want down with green turf.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

AndersNM

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »
As for Tees.....  you can easily make them however you want them.  Turn the size slider all the way down and then put whatever shape and size you want down with green turf.

I am talking about the tee markers, not the surface.
And then again, give the player the ability to choose from where inside the markers to peg up the ball. And it would be good to have the option to have the tee markers in different spots - the same as different flag positions you can choose when setting up your round (tee placement 1-4). In normal life, the markers are moved to allow grass to grow, but from a tournament perspective, different spots for the markers makes the course play differently from round to round - the same as flag position.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »
I understand what you’re saying I don’t think it’s possible.  Your golfer is tied to the tee position the same way your first shot and the camera are tied to the first hole marker position.  I’m pretty sure it’s tied into the coding.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

AndersNM

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 03:11:16 PM »
I understand what you’re saying I don’t think it’s possible.  Your golfer is tied to the tee position the same way your first shot and the camera are tied to the first hole marker position.  I’m pretty sure it’s tied into the coding.

Well, I can't see why this is impossible. All you need is an option in the code to move your position - just like a drop, inside the square that makes up the tee according to the rules of golf. And that reminds me that drop rules must be made better - and we need a hazard area just like OB area that can be marked. Where the ball enters the hazard is important, and then you can drop in the flagline or 2 clubs from the border of the hazard where the ball enters, but not closer to the hole. Or play from where you hit the last stroke.

It must have a change in the code for the tee in the designer, and how it is implemented for my idea to work. I think it is interesting to have more than one tee-set. This way you can have several tee boxes on your course (several real courses has this) so you can change tee position from round to round. Or ofcourse change the position on your tee boxes from round to round.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
I usually design 3 sets of tee boxes on each of my courses.  There you can choose to play a distance if there are more than one.  It’s in the custom rules subsection of the round creator where you can also choose weather and wind conditions for your round.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Rickster

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 06:13:34 AM »
Here's a small slice of my wish list of existing features.

Texture Tools

Spline Tool
How about the texture spline tool having option for open spline or closed spline and a border of different texture.

Closed spline option allows for the last spline point to be connected (snapped) to the beginning spline point to form a texture shape like a fairway or green.  The area enclosed by the closed spline automatically gets filled with same texture as the spline.

A further option to add a border of a different selected texture to both open and closed splines.  The width of the border can be set by the user within some predetermined useful maximum and minimum values.  In the case of open splines used for roads and paths, the border is all the way around.  In the case of closed splines the border is on the outside of the enclosed shape like the green texture fringe is.  The border option could then be used to accurately set the light rough around the fairway or green.  This functionality kind of exists already with setting the fringe width on green textures.

Two further options that would be useful for spline tool are:
  • Option for several styles of border masks to create various smooth and rough/irregular blends into surrounding grass or soil textures. especially useful for roads and paths to look more realistic.
  • Option to have end of open spline as round or square

Shape Tool
Similar to the spline tool:
  • Border width and texture option including further option to apply border blend mask or not.
  • Rectangle texture shape with true square corners and X and Y dimension settings.

Texture Palettes
It would be nice if we had the ability to create a designer defined palette of textures if the predefined themes did not meet requirements.  The number of textures for fairway, green, rough, soil, sand, path, road, etc. could still be limited to the same over all texture palette total as the themes.

Be nice if the range of textures is also expanded.

PS4 Player Name: rawdata57

TGC2K21 Courses:
♦ Cape Naturaliste Club ♦ Lizard River Resort GC ♦ Pinnacles Golf Club ♦ Wapatah Lakes Club ♦  Keeling Islands Resort

MRose

• I like you Betty.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »
- Second waypoint for par-five holes

- Tees given their own texture, with independent mowline and texture settings.

- Ability to rotate direction of mow stripes

- Make tee markers any color you want

- Hard 90 degree corners to allow perfect squares and rectangles for tees (i.e. not rounded)

- Some consistency of thicknesses with stock shapes would be nice. There are certain stock shapes I won't use for greens because they create huge fringes that don't match the others

- Some kind of customization for textures, whether it be a simple hue/saturation/brightness meter you could apply to anything

- All trees being allowed in all themes. One of them (rustic?) has no pine trees at all and that drives me nuts.

- More subtle blending options for textures, particularly the dirt / pine straw types

- More pin positions, perhaps six or eight

- More flagsticks - solid white, solid yellow, striped black/yellow

- Option to match different flags to different flagsticks, i.e. red flag with black/white pole
Salt Creek Club • Maple Glen • El Vinedo • Casa Verde • Pinelands • Diamond Creek Reservoir • The Snack Nine • Macedon Ranges • Canyon Trail • Parkland Municipal • Monterey Highlands • Black Spruce

whodatmatt34

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »
I would really like the ability to see an undulation grid on any surface when I'm designing. It's hard to tell how sloped some areas of fairway and rough are, being able to toggle the grid on and off would make sculpting a little easier.

Rickster

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 06:51:56 AM »
I just started using the TGC2019 Designer late last week and it looks like I should have waited before posting my textures wish list.

Closed spline option allows for the last spline point to be connected (snapped) to the beginning spline point to form a texture shape like a fairway or green.  The area enclosed by the closed spline automatically gets filled with same texture as the spline.

A further option to add a border of a different selected texture to both open and closed splines.  The width of the border can be set by the user within some predetermined useful maximum and minimum values.  In the case of open splines used for roads and paths, the border is all the way around.  In the case of closed splines the border is on the outside of the enclosed shape like the green texture fringe is.  The border option could then be used to accurately set the light rough around the fairway or green.  This functionality kind of exists already with setting the fringe width on green textures.

Well it is already in this new Designer. Such a big time saver.  Thanks HB  ;)

User Defined Design Palettes
User defined Object and Texture palettes would be fantastic.  Designers would not be locked in to predetermined themes, but would have in the Themes menu User Defined as an option.
I imagine something like this:
  • Texture palette with categories: Green, Tee, Fairway, Rough, Bunker, Soils, Sands, Pavings, Other
  • Nature Objects palette with categories: Trees, Shrubs, Plants, Rocks, Grass, Debris, Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, Aquatic Life
  • Building Objects palette with similar categories to now
  • Course Objects palette with similar categories to now
The TGC system could limit the number of textures and objects selected for each palette based on some resource algorithm.

It would be excellent if some of these things come to pass in future iterations of this software.
PS4 Player Name: rawdata57

TGC2K21 Courses:
♦ Cape Naturaliste Club ♦ Lizard River Resort GC ♦ Pinnacles Golf Club ♦ Wapatah Lakes Club ♦  Keeling Islands Resort

AndersNM

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »
More water issues:
I want to choose the texture under the water. If the ground beneath the water is grass, mud, rocky, etc I should be able to choose that texture - also the texture on banks etc.

And - even more important is that the terrain should not be changed when you lay down the water. If anything needs sculpting, that should be up to the designer to do.

less than bread

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 09:18:24 PM »
More water issues:
I want to choose the texture under the water. If the ground beneath the water is grass, mud, rocky, etc I should be able to choose that texture - also the texture on banks etc.

And - even more important is that the terrain should not be changed when you lay down the water. If anything needs sculpting, that should be up to the designer to do.

There is a technique you can use to make it so the dirt shoreline doesn’t show up when you place water.

Just place another body of water about 10 feet or so below your intended waterline and it will continue whatever surface you have underneath the water. Guys use that to get that really clean Augusta type look where the green grass goes right up to the water edge
Courses:
Minnehaugen Park
The Green Inferno
Old Red's Sandstone Range
Scorched Horizon Golf Club
Mighty Oak Lodge & Ranch
Kathmandu Valley Golf Club

AndersNM

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 09:51:35 PM »
More water issues:

There is a technique you can use to make it so the dirt shoreline doesn’t show up when you place water.

Just place another body of water about 10 feet or so below your intended waterline and it will continue whatever surface you have underneath the water. Guys use that to get that really clean Augusta type look where the green grass goes right up to the water edge

I've tried that technique and it doesn't work. I've read that it worked and has been changed so it doesn't work anymore. I don't know, but it does not work either way for me.

Arctic Fury

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 07:51:18 PM »
I know this has been asked for in the past with no result so I'm probably just flogging a dead horse by asking again but...…

Please, please, please HB can you separate the damn steam/mist/spray whatever you want to call it from both the "High Falls" and "High Splash" water features so it can be added as its own feature. 

It's very annoying not being able to use those two water features in a lot of situations because the dry ice machine that gets fitted with them as standard makes what you are trying to build look ridiculous !  >:(

Thanks  :)

*Edit

Overall thread topic changed as per my reply further down. Now this is a designer "functional" feature wishlist which I will add to and update as and when I remember or think of functions or abilities I would like adding.

I'm giving "placeable" water its own section as there are a few for that  :P .

My own requests

1. The ability to raise/lower multiple items at once when selected using "multi-select". 

2. When snapping one item to another, the ability (on a toggle) to be able to match the height of the item you are snapping to

3.The ability to have multiple colours for the same texture on a single course (at least a couple of us are having an issue with this doing RCR's at the moment)

4. To be able to reduce the width of all spline textures down lower than the current value of 1.7 - ideally to 0 but anything lower than what we can now is a bonus

5. An option to override / ignore the texture "pecking order" - if I want to lay heavy rough over the top of light rough or fairway over green then let me (I know there are ways around this but still.....)

6. The snap function is/was a massive time saver when doing walls (especially retaining ones), but it still lacks one small function that would make a HUGE difference........if it would auto-fill in the gap that is left between the sections when you are doing internal curves / corners. At the moment it means that those of us that are picky about stuff like that and can't stand to have gaps like that in our walls no matter what (yes I'm one of those people  8) ) still have to manually line up and place each piece every time

7. I honestly don't know why this isn't already an option anyway ?  To be able to set your own default camera angle when watching another player. I don't know if it's just me but I like to see their shot from behind as though I am playing it myself, not from the side(ish) angle that is the current default. It annoys me having to click a button every time to switch the camera angle.

Placeable Water

1. The removal of the steam/mist/spray from both the "High Falls" and "High Splash" water features so it doesn't automatically get added with them, and can be added as its own separate feature if required.

2. To be able to add bodies of water with splines or at worse with the brush shapes so we don't have to use a square/rectangle shape every time (which can be a PITA sometimes in certain situations with the corners sticking through the terrain etc).

3. If we can't have number 2 then to be able to snap bodies of water together (including the aforementioned height matching) - must be on a toggle the same way though rather than an auto-snap

4. To be able to tilt all the objects in the "water" section (water body or water feature)

5. Different colour / clarity options available for water - each theme has its own type of water which vary slightly in colour and clarity, let us choose which we want to use regardless of which theme we are using (This one is a bit more of a cosmetic thing really but meh  :P)

6. A toggle option for textures to be able to run right to a waters edge without having to use the "double water" trick. (This one is not strictly a "water" request as it is asking for a texture feature, but I thought it fitted better in with the other water requests as its primary use involves water).

Additional requests from others

1. Walls and bridges to be laid like splines and follow the height of the terrain

2. Multi-select tool for splines and measurement points for deletion - not just delete path or delete all like currently

3. Adjustable width for tee markers

Great list. The most from waterfalls is not needed in my opinion. It hides all the detail etc.

titaneddie

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2019, 11:39:16 AM »
Always thought it'd be awesome to load up others courses in the designer so you could look around the course and see how different designers do different things.

Don't need to the ability to edit the courses (which could be both good and bad) but just see them would be good enough.

milwsteve

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »
Pacific Coast theme that includes cypress trees

space-cash