My Two Cents

• 13 Replies

ollybobbles

« on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
For what it is worth, I have been a member from the beginning and have seen the game develop in leaps and bounds since.
I would like to provide you with the things which I think require addressing before a final game is worthy of our time.

The first thing I think which everyone will be aware of is that a course on any given theme (desert, links etc) look very similar to each other with only differences in slopes , fairway tightness, bunkering etc. This cannot be the model moving forward, as this will ultimately grow tiresome for the avid golfer looking for variety. Each theme provides the same type of bridges, the same type of trees, objects, signposts....I could go on. What is really required is user created content that can be utilised on our courses to allow a different spark, style (call it what you will).
I am aware that user created content opens up many difficult paths - eg. how to police the content for offensive or abusive material. I am sure that HBs can come up with a way in which this can be implemented (this is what will make or break the game). Each designer will have his/her own style and as such should be allowed the freedom to express their style. This can only enhance the games reputation.

I am unsure of HBS next steps or what they have in mind moving forward - the game itself is now playing fantastically well. The golfers move realistically, the courses act as you would expect but I feel there are a few minor adjustments which are required to make it even more realistic.

* Weather / Time of Day - This is a major part of any golf game if we are to find realism. Each course would play differently depending on the conditions (weather/wind speed etc).
* Bunker play - This game has the best bunker play I have ever seen - but - when the ball rolls or lands in the bunker it does not act as a ball rolling into sand would....just go out on to the local course and hit a shot into any bunker - see how the real physics takes over.
* Camera options - This has been an issue for all golf games I feel (console & PC) - Allow custom camera options - If I want to set up the game so that the camera watches the ball coming from the fairway from behind the green then this should be feasible. Even have this is an option to have an in game camera (like Links 2003). Options to see our shots from different ways is very important in the modern day golf game.
* Clubs / Balls - Please keep it the way it is. I know there will be a temptation to sell DLC for better clubs/balls etc but this is what will ultimately ruin the game. This game should be for the purists not the arcade golfers who love shooting -22 on even the toughest settings. Everyone playing the same clubs and balls that all go the same distances is brilliant - please keep it.
* Hole Overview - This was a great idea/upgrade in v0.7 but I think it needs more work. Seeing the hole in an overview position is fantastic but we need sky sports style graphics which look a bit more realistic than the 2D offering we currently have.
* Live leaderboard - I know this has been mentioned previously but for tournaments we need some form of live leaderboard implementation.
* Ability to change the look of your golfer - not their ability - the look - more options to change cosmetics.
* Easy Yardage calculations for course creator - this can be a real pain when creating a course as you have to hit shots from certain parts of the fairway to determine where to drop a 200 yd marker or 150 yd marker.
* Putting Distances - One of the most annoying things in the game is normally when you have a long putt, the distance to the hole will be visible but the uphill/downhill rating is hidden behind the player. The only way to view this is to aim far left or right to see it then go back to your normal aim - please address this .....

I don't think I can think of anything else at the moment.
All feedback is good and you should, if possible address issues if you are able to.

The game mechanics and build are fabulous to play - bringing a real sense of swinging to the screen.

I am a big fan - just hope the extra mile is not too far to go.

Thanks for listening.

Regards

Ollybobbles
Architect of Rabbit Run

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:55:06 AM by ollybobbles »

johnnygolfer

• Favorite golf game all platforms BOCG
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
Olly. Great, constructive comments. I think it is fantastic that your "laundry list" contains issues that are "relatively" minor and not large problems. It sounds like some fine tuning and tweaking and they can get close to a ten!
HP Pavillion a6120n
Vista home premium 32 bit
Intel Core 2 CPU 4400@2.00GHz
3 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 1GB
Dell E248 WFP Monitor
Corsair VX 450 watt PS

ollybobbles

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
Thanks Johnny - I, like everyone here, want a game that we love and look forward to playing each and every day.
Not one that we play for a bit then look for the next big thing.

Regards

Ollybobbles

HB_LorinB

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
Great suggestions, Olly, and well stated.  I think you will see several of these in the future...it is just a matter of time and resources. 

It is important to remember that this is not a fire and forget gig for us.  What you see on release day is not going to be all you get until the next time we sell you a game.  So don't be too worried if some of the types of things mentioned above aren't in the release version.  We have a laundry list of features we want to add and are going to continue to iterate and improve (and add features), objects, streamline course creation, etc. long after our release date.

So keep the suggestions coming...we read them all.  And I hope you can tell...we are listening!

Kamshaft

• Graphic Designer - Game lover
    • XboxAddict.com
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
Great comments!

I think (IMHO), if they make the money they want (pay off the initial investment), they will make the game what we want it to be.  But I think the first stage is to get a great game out the door first.  Then add more to it.

Just my 2 cents.
--

Courses Created
----------------------
Twin Oak Islands Links Golf Club
Knotty Pines Golf Club
Rattlesnake Canyon Golf Club
Sharp Lake Executive Golf Club
Swan Hills Golf Club

ollybobbles

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
Thanks Lorin -

Its nice to know the developers have ears and encourage comments (anyone who has tried communicating with EA will know what I mean).

As previously stated (by Johnny) the pieces I've mentioned are small changes - the game is fabulous to play.

Onwards and upwards.

Regards

Ollybobbles

cherax74

• Player: Cherax74 - PS4
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:39:10 PM »
Very Nice review....!!    I can Added :

Work in the Graphics Player (the wow-factor fails) "cartoonish  player "
The player has no proper posture, highly arched (The final swing is fine)
Tropical Course

PS4
Player: Cherax74

HB_LorinB

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
Very Nice review....!!    I can Added :

Work in the Graphics Player (the wow-factor fails) "cartoonish  player "
The player has no proper posture, highly arched (The final swing is fine)
Tropical Course

With no disrespect intended, redclaw, we hear you on this...you don't need to post it in every thread :)

johnnygolfer

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 02:39:04 AM »
I am a beginner here as I just picked up the required graphics card. Tried course creator for first time. My next step is to buy a XBOX controller. I'll check to see what the setup is. I think wireless configuration with receiver fob to stick in empty USB port? That should give me better control than the mouse. Don't have too many pressing questions. If tree is right behind golfer I have to figure out how to freeze scout camera so I can take my shot after positioning camera just behind golfer.

Can't wait for the "links" template. That is my favorite way to play computer golf ( see British Open Championship Golf ). BOCG had a wonderful dry grass look with light browns and yellows. I hope I can create a course that looks like it really needs water. If the color palette is only the wonderful green USA experience, it would be a little bit of a disappointment. After I create a course and started playing, is there a way to turn commentary on?

I like the way the golfer looks. It did not attract my attention so that is good. The swing animation is good. Action around the hole, on the greens good. Sound of golf ball hitting trees is great. So far I am really impressed. Frame rate is pretty good although it is a little tricky with chips, flops, etc. I am using a minimum build but looking to go from 3 MEG to 4 MEG RAM.

Thank you developement team for bringing golf back to the PC! I thought it was gone for good! I may have to replace my PS3.
HP Pavillion a6120n
3 GB RAM
Dell E248 WFP Monitor
Corsair VX 450 watt PS

AndrewG

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 03:47:07 AM »
I am a beginner here as I just picked up the required graphics card. Tried course creator for first time. My next step is to buy a XBOX controller. I'll check to see what the setup is. I think wireless configuration with receiver fob to stick in empty USB port? That should give me better control than the mouse.
Just buy the wired version it works great and will cost you less

Don't have too many pressing questions. If tree is right behind golfer I have to figure out how to freeze scout camera so I can take my shot after positioning camera just behind golfer.
You can't freeze the shot view in your desired position to play the shot, if your view is obstructed by foliage trees etc, at the moment it is tough luck

Can't wait for the "links" template. That is my favorite way to play computer golf ( see British Open Championship Golf ). BOCG had a wonderful dry grass look with light browns and yellows. I hope I can create a course that looks like it really needs water. If the color palette is only the wonderful green USA experience, it would be a little bit of a disappointment. After I create a course and started playing, is there a way to turn commentary on?
No the commentary is only available in live play. Not in the course creator

I Use: Xbox 360 wired gamepad for Windows PC.

Steam Name: FirstBlitzerAu

My Courses

Somersett Lakes CC
The Lakes of Fall Golf Club
Badlands Country Club
Heritage Lakes CDC (Front 9)

johnnygolfer

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:59:05 AM »
Thank you. There was a computer golf game that allowed you to record your own voice overs. I think it was LINKS, right?
HP Pavillion a6120n
3 GB RAM
Dell E248 WFP Monitor
Corsair VX 450 watt PS

Schlitz73

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
I haven't played the early access so forgive my ignorance if some of this is already possible or in the works.  I'm just going by what I've read here.

The putting info seems to get stuck behind the player on longer putts which annoys a lot of people apparently.  Why not simply move that info to the side or corner of the screen for putting? 

Someone mentioned that its hard to judge distance to the hole in the course creator.  Would it be possible to have a circular overlay at distances of  200, 150, and 100 yards?  A highly transparent set of blue, white, and red circles (respectively) that radiate out from the pin when in design view making it easy to see just how far away you are.  Add in the option to toggle them on and off and it should be a great design tool.  Heck, you could even add this to the tee as well so you can see how far from the tee you are to place hazards and such.

To add more variety to the courses maybe you could open up the themes as well letting people choose from everything in designing a course instead of sticking with one theme.  Probably strays more into the fantasy realm here but it would serve up a lot more variety in the courses.

Also, are there any plans for LIVE ONLY tournaments?  This could be fun for people that don't like to play against ghost balls so much.  If you don't make the tee time, you miss out. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:42:03 AM by Schlitz73 »
Don't feed the trolls.  They are on a diet.

HB_LorinB

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »
Hi Schlitz -

The putting info is a knwn issue and will be fixed before launch.

The distance to the tee and the hole is diplayed at all times on any given hole in the course creator.

We intend to add more themes and have already been talking about mixing and matching or a theme with no background for the future.

And Live Only Tournaments are definitely on our radar.

Hope that all helps:)

Schlitz73

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
Hi Schlitz -

The distance to the tee and the hole is diplayed at all times on any given hole in the course creator.

Good to know.  As I said, I haven't tried the early access version. I only mentioned it because I thought other people found it a problem but if its displayed then I'm not quite sure why that was brought up.  For the rest... COOL!   8)
Don't feed the trolls.  They are on a diet.

space-cash