3-Click Swing

• 90 Replies

Oswinner

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2020, 01:19:28 PM »
You know, the house rule i implemented when playing rory (3 click) was i didnt allow myself to adjust the distance meter when taking a shot or a chip. This way i knew what the full distance was and i had to estimate the backswing needed to get the correct distance
  Much more realistic then adjusting a marker and then getting a perfect 100% line / indication that would lead to the perfect distance everytime.   Know what i mean?

Yeah I understand. That could be quite cool to be fair. Distance control much more important. You leave the marker at 100% for every shot then? I’ll have to try it at one point.

I do. I leave it at 100% for every shot and, i agree the pro's chipping is half finished.  Also when i was playing this game more, i created some more pros and built their attributes in areas i thought thise pros were good at.   Would be nice if i didnt uave to work to build up their attributes but it gave me more to play against

Tried this for a quick round earlier.

Sawgrass, 3-5mph winds. Took me a few holes to get used to it - was +6 thru 3! Once I got a hang of it, it felt brilliant. Finished +10 thanks to a wet ball on the 17th causing a double. So other than those 4 holes I was +2. Once you get a feel for distances with putter and chip/pitch shots it feels great.
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

Oswinner

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2020, 01:23:30 PM »
Hope we are playing with 3-click boys? The only way to play 😜

Yep only problem is i am 3 clicking off to spain for a few days......only had 2 rounds so far so i will need a bit more practice.To me more than enough decent courses just can't find how you create a AI player with good stats.Yes got hardest setting on everything.

Yes, only way to create more pros is to create their likeness, use them and build their attributes to where they should be .   I know thats not ideal but, EA did add a bunch of slots for newly created players so, it is possible to get a large field of newly created  players to go along with the pros they gave you.

That’s a shame. Would love an easy ‘create-a-golfer’ where you can put in the likes of Rahm, Garcia, Fleetwood, Molinari, Koepka etc...

Edit: Wish we could edit attributes too. Rory’s Putting is 86-93? I know he’s the poster boy but come on!! Haha.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:27:10 PM by Oswinner »

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 01:50:59 PM »
You know, the house rule i implemented when playing rory (3 click) was i didnt allow myself to adjust the distance meter when taking a shot or a chip. This way i knew what the full distance was and i had to estimate the backswing needed to get the correct distance
  Much more realistic then adjusting a marker and then getting a perfect 100% line / indication that would lead to the perfect distance everytime.   Know what i mean?

Yeah I understand. That could be quite cool to be fair. Distance control much more important. You leave the marker at 100% for every shot then? I’ll have to try it at one point.

I do. I leave it at 100% for every shot and, i agree the pro's chipping is half finished.  Also when i was playing this game more, i created some more pros and built their attributes in areas i thought thise pros were good at.   Would be nice if i didnt uave to work to build up their attributes but it gave me more to play against

Tried this for a quick round earlier.

Sawgrass, 3-5mph winds. Took me a few holes to get used to it - was +6 thru 3! Once I got a hang of it, it felt brilliant. Finished +10 thanks to a wet ball on the 17th causing a double. So other than those 4 holes I was +2. Once you get a feel for distances with putter and chip/pitch shots it feels great.

Yes its cool. Tskes a few holes to understand it but it makes it real golf when you do. Are there any better putter cams? 
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 01:53:02 PM »
Hope we are playing with 3-click boys? The only way to play 😜

Yep only problem is i am 3 clicking off to spain for a few days......only had 2 rounds so far so i will need a bit more practice.To me more than enough decent courses just can't find how you create a AI player with good stats.Yes got hardest setting on everything.

Yes, only way to create more pros is to create their likeness, use them and build their attributes to where they should be .   I know thats not ideal but, EA did add a bunch of slots for newly created players so, it is possible to get a large field of newly created  players to go along with the pros they gave you.

That’s a shame. Would love an easy ‘create-a-golfer’ where you can put in the likes of Rahm, Garcia, Fleetwood, Molinari, Koepka etc...

Edit: Wish we could edit attributes too. Rory’s Putting is 86-93? I know he’s the poster boy but come on!! Haha.

Yeah that would be great.  I hope our next golf game has better career options. / pairings and good computer a.i. editable players.
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:44 PM »
Just imagine tw14 on frostbite3?  44 frostbite courses a slew of pros and equipment and unlockable Legends.    Thats why rory was lambasted.  Everyone thought Bashing EA would cause them to offer more unfortunately they just said forget it.   I still like HB and their passion but we need a better engine if they want to put themselves on the map of greatness. And more of what tw14 offered along with their great course creator, ghost rounds and tgctours.   Then they would set a benchmark for sports gaming.  Go all in/ be a BIG dog.!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 01:59:05 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2020, 08:58:05 PM »
If HB had a 3 click option it would level the playing field and i would totally be into tgctours because the input would be equal for everyone and the gameplay would offer some real challenge.
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 11:25:07 PM »
I think the controller modifications that people use to swing straight 100% of the time can be done for 3 click as well.  Pretty sure I read someone post that before.

I really enjoyed the 3 click in Everybody's Golf.  It was really hard to get perfect swings.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »
A rory online video of someone putting caught my eye yesterday where they were moving the putting cam all around the hole and at different levels to try and read the break.    Like you guys i always play with the helps off.   But, if you set zoom to on you get this putting camera that is so desperately needed when reading these challenging greens. Similar to hb's putting camera set up.     House rule: i dont allow myself to zoom any other types of shots as thats not possible in real golf.   Awesome, huh?
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

Oswinner

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »
A rory online video of someone putting caught my eye yesterday where they were moving the putting cam all around the hole and at different levels to try and read the break.    Like you guys i always play with the helps off.   But, if you set zoom to on you get this putting camera that is so desperately needed when reading these challenging greens. Similar to hb's putting camera set up.     House rule: i dont allow myself to zoom any other types of shots as thats not possible in real golf.   Awesome, huh?

Yeah, I have zoom to aim currently on just so I can move around the greens for chip/putts. Don’t use it off the tee as I hate zoom to aim. Once I play thru all the 14 real courses with the Fearsome fourball I’m currently playing with I will then go through all the courses again with grids off and setting all shots to full power.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »

Yeah, I have zoom to aim currently on just so I can move around the greens for chip/putts. Don’t use it off the tee as I hate zoom to aim. Once I play thru all the 14 real courses with the Fearsome fourball I’m currently playing with I will then go through all the courses again with grids off and setting all shots to full power.

👍
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »

You know lighthouse pointe and wetlands (fictional) are acceptable.  So thats 16.   Still scarce but, beautiful
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

Martbloke

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
Os, I'll be honest and say I prefer a stick swing compared to 3-Click as for me, it feels more immersive for a golf game - I don't want to only be timing a button press to swing a club, that bores me.

You are correct however in that 3C is more difficult and provides better dispersion as well as more competitiveness taking dodgy, straight-lining controllers out the game (ignoring possible hacks of course). There is 1 major reason for this - with 3C, you are timing your click to 2 thin lines which takes skill whereas TGC's swing is to hit inside a zone rather than a line. You mistime the click for the bottom line even by a little, you get a bigger dispersion whereas TGC you can be off-centre of the area yet inside it and you'll still hit straight. That with the overswing being present in 3C really adds to the difficulty. HB tried to make the swing more difficult by adding slight dispersion within the zones if not hit dead centre but it's not much.

The trick would be to somehow formulate a stick swing to mimic the 3C function providing the same outcomes as 3C - BS for power (bar increasing in 3C including being able to go passed the 100% mark), and then something to mimic hitting the button for straightness as the DS swing plane just does not do it. Maybe the swing plane can be type of shot (draw/fade/straight) and as you DS you have to time a button press to as you hit the ball (being the bottom line to aim for in 3C). Hit the button before the ball would equate to a pull (left of the line in 3C) after and would equate to a push (right of the line in 3C). You pull back further than 100% and the DS animation would be a lot faster and therefore harder to time your button press as you connect with the ball. Maybe something like that or similar perhaps. I dunno. Power could also be tied to how fast your DS is like I've seen in the Tiger/Rory games. Follow through too fast and you add power to what you've already set on your BS, too slow and it knocks some off - would make it more reliant on good pace and maybe have the animation follow how fast you are pushing forward so timing your button press is more difficult.

In any case, the stick swing does need to made more difficult to perfect and dispersion needs to be upped so it's not just a game of math. Like your videos and like the guys above, it's got me thinking of reinstalling Rory to give it a go - looks so darn good yet I know after 1 round I'll not play it again as I do prefer TGC.

Oswinner

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 12:14:39 PM »
The problem is a real golf swing is an arc, not a straight back and forth swing like a control stick. The 3-click simulates the swing arc much better and gives much more variability. And more realistic variability equals more fun, to me at least.

Shame this game only has 14 real courses which, if a course is used only once per season, gives you a schedule like this;

(*signals made up tournament)
The American Express - PGA West Stadium
WM Phoenix Open - TPC Scottsdale
Arnold Palmer Invitational - Bay Hill
Players Championship - TPC Sawgrass
Wells Fargo Championship - Quail Hollow
*Canadian Open - Banff Springs
*Scottish Open - Royal Troon
The Open - St Andrews
*Washington Open - Chambers Bay
US Open - Oakmont
*Nevada Open - Wolf Creek
PGA Championship - Whistling Straits
The Northern Trust - TPC Boston
Tour Championship - East Lake

So 10 real tournaments and 4 fake tournaments. Half a season really. Such a shame.

Martbloke

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Not entirely sure how clicking a button 3 times simulates an arc better than a swing back and forth of a stick if I'm honest but no reason why a different control method can't be added as an option to the new version should it come .

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2020, 01:39:03 PM »
HB should be utilizing their 2yr. Old  partnership with 2k to bring us a graphics engine similar to rory on frostbite.   
Created RCR Courses: 

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

Legends- Moorland Course

space-cash