Improvements for Next Game

• 29 Replies

Martbloke

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 01:34:44 PM »
It's coming back to career mode. If you don't care about career mode, this game is perfectly fine. It will give you a great round of golf. If what you really care about is a PGA career mode with events in great replica of courses overseas, it's going to be the EA game. With all the silly stuff thrown at us recently, it's obvious 2K is trying to hook and/or keep the arcade guys.

Well, this is true as well.  I agree

Yes and no really to being perfectly fine outside career.

Yes the gameplay is what makes this game along with god knows how many courses you could just go out a play in a local or private match because of the designer (I can't actually design so am so grateful to those who do). I also love the ghost balls and being able to play any of them in any mode I wish available - skins, stableford, stroke and match play. Great stuff.

Multiplayer is average at best and of course offers no incentive to see out the game - quit and you don't get a loss. Also, the rankings are done wrong. It gives whoever plays more the upper hand as it's based on points for wins not averages. It just stays as 1 complete leaderboard too - why no seasons or divisions or likewise. It is also locked to 1 difficulty and no lobbies. Private matches don't allow you to play with more than 1 person on the same console; it's only 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1.

Societies are OK. A well run society is fun to play against real players but over time it's just event after event with nothing really differentiating the events just like career mode. You can't change play type (stableford for instance), HCP is completely useless in this game so you can't use that to make events close and intense, and I believe you can't even set finals to reseed standings for the event like a PGA TOUR and it's just yet another stroke play event - assume this is probably due to license or trademarking or something else restricting fun! For a competitive mode as well, having the fast exploit in play (not even being acknowledged as an exploit from HB) makes setting a harder difficulty pretty much pointless despite many people confirming it's an exploit around the difficulty and choose to use it as it's easier to be consistent with rather than playing the difficulty for what it was was designed to play as. Some can debate that all they like, but it is an exploit which most companies would've acknowledged and patched by now.

Local play - you can't have profiles that can be renamed and stats kept, and have these guests you can only change clubs and clothing for. Like above, you cannot use these guests in any other mode to play along with someone else. You can't even play a career with them.

Look, it looks like I'm hating on this game but in reality I'm just frustrated with it. It is the best golf game series I have ever played and this is because of how it plays and the large number of courses at my disposal but outside of these, it is really an average game. For a big step forwards from TGC 2019 that it should've been, the only real step forwards was the price mainly because of them having updated career with real player names, slightly better commentary and pros for their highlights. The change to difficulties and the options they added within these was also a really good update.

However, they removed a mode in solo society, made it essentially online only, there have been bugs since launch not fixed, and more bugs added when they release updates for the clubhouse passes/MP modes which again don't get fixed and yet they only seem to concentrate on cosmetics rather than actually fixing the game.

There are a lot of improvements required IMO for their next game especially if they are going to charge the same price, if not higher now that Tiger's name will be put to it. They probably need just a few tweaks to the swing so nothing major gameplay-wise, and the majority of their production time and resources should be focused on graphics (including mocap perhaps), fixing existing bugs and then big improvements to their playable modes.

pozbaird

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »
Aside from the obvious - you want an upgrade in how the game looks and plays both graphically and in actual play - here’s the upgade I’d really like, and have mentioned it before... the designer. Give us totally new menus that see a range of ‘Lego style’ building pieces available.

Look at the current canvas walls. When made available in green, white, red and black - we could utilise them to create other things. I have seen people like Arctic Fury create a ‘fairground big wheel’ using rotated advertising signs. Don’t have talented guys like him using signs. Give us the ability to create things using a range of items that are, well, cannot describe it better than ‘buliding blocks’. That can be sized, rotated. In wood, brick, stone, metal..whatever.

The course designer is the USP of the game. Don’t have designers trying to make X, Y, or Z out of wastebins or signs. Allow their imagination to realise in more realistic ways all sorts of things that would help them create even more bespoke looking items in their courses.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 01:56:47 PM by pozbaird »
2K21 Courses:

Verloren Islands Retreat
Royal Alba Links
Chernobyl Golf Club
Thunder Bay Golf Club
Cherry Creek CC 2K21
Hogwarts Golf Club 2K21
Central Park GC 2K21
Sport City Las Vegas 2K21
Gofritt Golf Club 2K21
The 2112 Club

Icyken

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 03:37:09 PM »
Keeping the suits away from
the shop floor would help  !   ???
2K21 , Courses
   Machrihan Dunes, Tour.      (  Prestwick Links  )
   The Celtic Isles...  Tour
   Craigendoran Links..(new)
   Prestwick , Scotland. Tour
   Helensburgh , GC. Tour
   Ayrshire Gailes. Tour
   Rosemount , Scotland
   St Nicholas , Prestwick

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
Well said Pozbaird.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Leicester Duck

• Join my Society (The Ducks Tours)
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 06:30:50 AM »
It would be nice to be able to place your ball on the tee, and not just hit from the centre.
Forest Hill (national Forest) RCR
Forest Hill 2019 (RCR)
Weston Park Municipal 1910 to 2015 (RCR)
Park Hill Golf Club(Seagrave) 1994 to 2018 (RCR)
RAF North Luffenham (RCR)
Tamworth GC 1975 to 2014

Society = The Ducks Tours (Various Country's)

Matt43

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »
They need a new engine but how would the current course designer work with a different engine?
2k will use their engine. It should be far more powerful than unity.

Stan Solo

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 08:36:09 AM »
They need a new engine but how would the current course designer work with a different engine?
2k will use their engine. It should be far more powerful than unity.

You would think so .. because at the moment the engine they have feels like it's pulling a caravan up a hill         :P

https://youtu.be/N19Y9Z2wFAs

sroel908

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 04:36:37 PM »
It's coming back to career mode. If you don't care about career mode, this game is perfectly fine. It will give you a great round of golf. If what you really care about is a PGA career mode with events in great replica of courses overseas, it's going to be the EA game. With all the silly stuff thrown at us recently, it's obvious 2K is trying to hook and/or keep the arcade guys.

Well, this is true as well.  I agree

Yes and no really to being perfectly fine outside career.

Yes the gameplay is what makes this game along with god knows how many courses you could just go out a play in a local or private match because of the designer (I can't actually design so am so grateful to those who do). I also love the ghost balls and being able to play any of them in any mode I wish available - skins, stableford, stroke and match play. Great stuff.

Multiplayer is average at best and of course offers no incentive to see out the game - quit and you don't get a loss. Also, the rankings are done wrong. It gives whoever plays more the upper hand as it's based on points for wins not averages. It just stays as 1 complete leaderboard too - why no seasons or divisions or likewise. It is also locked to 1 difficulty and no lobbies. Private matches don't allow you to play with more than 1 person on the same console; it's only 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1.

Societies are OK. A well run society is fun to play against real players but over time it's just event after event with nothing really differentiating the events just like career mode. You can't change play type (stableford for instance), HCP is completely useless in this game so you can't use that to make events close and intense, and I believe you can't even set finals to reseed standings for the event like a PGA TOUR and it's just yet another stroke play event - assume this is probably due to license or trademarking or something else restricting fun! For a competitive mode as well, having the fast exploit in play (not even being acknowledged as an exploit from HB) makes setting a harder difficulty pretty much pointless despite many people confirming it's an exploit around the difficulty and choose to use it as it's easier to be consistent with rather than playing the difficulty for what it was was designed to play as. Some can debate that all they like, but it is an exploit which most companies would've acknowledged and patched by now.

Local play - you can't have profiles that can be renamed and stats kept, and have these guests you can only change clubs and clothing for. Like above, you cannot use these guests in any other mode to play along with someone else. You can't even play a career with them.

Look, it looks like I'm hating on this game but in reality I'm just frustrated with it. It is the best golf game series I have ever played and this is because of how it plays and the large number of courses at my disposal but outside of these, it is really an average game. For a big step forwards from TGC 2019 that it should've been, the only real step forwards was the price mainly because of them having updated career with real player names, slightly better commentary and pros for their highlights. The change to difficulties and the options they added within these was also a really good update.

However, they removed a mode in solo society, made it essentially online only, there have been bugs since launch not fixed, and more bugs added when they release updates for the clubhouse passes/MP modes which again don't get fixed and yet they only seem to concentrate on cosmetics rather than actually fixing the game.

There are a lot of improvements required IMO for their next game especially if they are going to charge the same price, if not higher now that Tiger's name will be put to it. They probably need just a few tweaks to the swing so nothing major gameplay-wise, and the majority of their production time and resources should be focused on graphics (including mocap perhaps), fixing existing bugs and then big improvements to their playable modes.

The more I think about this, the more I believe that 2K/HB should drop the PGA Tour licensing. Honestly, the positives of this game and the TGC series as a whole are held back by their addition of PGA Tour courses, pros, and such. I mean, that's the reason Solo Societies were removed, as far as I can tell.

If they dropped the PGA Tour license, dropped the unplayable pros in game (what a waste of money that was, IMO, for watching the pros chip in over and over again), and just focused in on the customization aspects of the game, I'd have more interest in getting the next 2K golf game. Bring back Solo Societies, allow me to set up the schedule the way I want it, and let the created courses get placed in a solo offline career mode.

And seeing how HB/2K offered a PGA Tour career mode with glitched leaderboards that made all immersion go right out the window, it would honestly be addition by subtraction if they got rid of the PGA Tour single player mode.

I know, however, that since 2K21 sold so many copies, it's likely viewed that adding the PGA Tour more aggressively to the game is seen as a boost. But I think it will be less of a positive in the future release, since EA will also have that license. And while 2K will have Tiger, EA has Augusta and all the majors. To me, those things kind of cancel each other out, and perhaps give EA the edge, since playing Augusta has real appeal for lots of folks, and who knows what Tiger's future looks like.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:43:03 PM by sroel908 »

Gasman

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2021, 05:04:15 PM »
Haven’t read anywhere that 2K has exclusive rights to Tiger. I may of missed though? I know he probably doesn’t need the money but to be in both games is a double pay day in a year where tour earnings is out of the question.

sroel908

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
Haven’t read anywhere that 2K has exclusive rights to Tiger. I may of missed though? I know he probably doesn’t need the money but to be in both games is a double pay day in a year where tour earnings is out of the question.

They have exclusive rights to Tiger:

https://pgatour.2k.com/news/tiger-woods-inks-long-term-exclusive-deal-with-2k/

Gasman

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »

Thanks for the link.....I’m certain 2K are gonna give this game there full attention & it will get a visual overhaul. I know other 2K games are not groundbreaking in terms of gameplay but they do make a good looking game.

Lancers

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »

Thanks for the link.....I’m certain 2K are gonna give this game there full attention & it will get a visual overhaul. I know other 2K games are not groundbreaking in terms of gameplay but they do make a good looking game.

Sometimes. Have you taken a good look at their last hockey and baseball efforts? Decent gameplay looked like a game you wouldn't play on your phone. Tennis game was good though.

crunchshark

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 03:35:28 AM »
It would be nice to be able to place your ball on the tee, and not just hit from the centre.
I like this idea alot.
My courses

Panama Dunes
The Beachcomber
Marble Brae Links
Deadwood Straits GC
Diablos Dell
Almondwood Bay GC
Cresta Point GC

CanuckHacker

« Reply #28 on: Today at 03:04:09 AM »
I think 2K21 is one of the worst golf games I have bought.  I'm glad I got it a discount and only played it for a short time.  I still have TW 08 installed on my old Win 7 PC and it is more realistic than this mess.   I have about 25 suggestions but here are a few.

1.  Four versions from HB Studios and still no pot bunkers.
2.  The entire short game needs to be rebuilt.  You can't hit a pitch shot with a carry of  134 yards using a 5 iron with the trajectory of a 9 iron in real golf.  They finally added a splash shot but you can use it from any lie including the green.  The flop shot which is used when you are short sided or have to carry say a bunker has a minimum carry distance of 43 yards.  That distance is close to the maximum carry of a pitch shot in the real world.  How far you hit a chip shot is basically determined by how far you pull your club back, not by how fast you swing it.  I could go on but I think I've made my point.
3.  You don't train in golf, you practice,  but their training mode is a joke anyway.  What they should have is an option to set it to practice mode (unlimited mulligans) and be able to play any course, place your ball anywhere you want on any hole on that course.  That way you could practice things like putts uphill, downhill, hitting from heavy rough and so on.  For example if I want to find out what club to use on the 17th at Sawgrass in to a wind I first have to play 7 holes and then have one shot at it since there are no mulligans.  If you have a favourite hole on a course you have to play all the holes before it to play it.  If it is the 9th or 18th you have to play 8 holes to get to it and then you can only play it once.
4.  How about some real world golf options like being able to move your ball position on the tee box or gimmes?
5.  Why are there divots on the tee boxes of par 4's and par 5's?
6.  Green speed is measured and expressed as stimp not slow, moderate and fast.
7.  Open up the course architect to allow talented course designers to be creative by allowing them create custom objects such as tee markers, flags and houses.  All the courses have the same look because you're stuck with their themes so you see the same panos and objects over and over again.  Seeing bowling balls cut in half with a number on them as tee markers gets old fast.  The canned CA is why there are divots on the tee boxes of 600 yard par 5's.  If a designer wants divots of tee boxes the only two options are on all of them or none.
8.  Even the UI is poorly thought out.  It takes approximately 25 clicks to set up a local match.  Let's say a course has five different tees.  All of them are checked so I have to unclick  the four I don't want.  Wouldn't it make more sense if all of them were unchecked so I could use one click to choose the one I want?

My personal opinion is that none of the developers have even played the real game.  One of the challenges confirmed that for me.  On a number of par 4's that were longer than 400 yards the challenge was to hit the green in one under regulation.  Seriously?

I don't know how much input Tiger will have or how much he actually knows about this game but he will have a good laugh when he checks out the current version. 

phil tarry

« Reply #29 on: Today at 04:23:36 AM »
ya right canuck i don't think devs play golf either
i Would like 2 c placing the ball any where on the tee
tired of same old position.seems they make it how they want
it not how it should be they sorted the grass so blended in should
of been like that from game 1.i would like 2 c for more realism
1.more sand coming out of bunkers depending onlie
2.as you ask pot bunkers
3.real drop zones
4.taking clubs out of the bag before you place the ball
5.divots in fairways OPTIONAL.
6.playing all shots from various angles
7more camera angles
8.more designer stuff get rid crap like you wont c vests socks
plastic looking trees
9 loads more but it wont happen
if tigers working on game play side swings on all clubs HB take note
on distances.i think tiger will be there just for there prophet 2 sell the game.

space-cash