PGA Tour 2k21

• 6193 Replies

Gasman

« Reply #5370 on: May 14, 2021, 12:09:11 PM »
I was playing a career round at a windy TPC River Highlands late last night & played a solid front nine but was needing to climb the leaderboards by a couple of shots.
On the tee at 15 I really wanted to take that risky driver out of the bag but it was into a head wind & I knew if I hit it absolutely perfectly with full overswing it still wouldn’t make the green.
It would have been nice to be able to have the power to take that risky shot & suffer the consequences if I make a bad swing.....just like the Pro’s do but unfortunately that side of the game is gone.
It’s gone for good reason I know but HB come up with something to put the fun back in your game.

Martbloke

« Reply #5371 on: May 14, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
I was playing a career round at a windy TPC River Highlands late last night & played a solid front nine but was needing to climb the leaderboards by a couple of shots.
On the tee at 15 I really wanted to take that risky driver out of the bag but it was into a head wind & I knew if I hit it absolutely perfectly with full overswing it still wouldn’t make the green.
It would have been nice to be able to have the power to take that risky shot & suffer the consequences if I make a bad swing.....just like the Pro’s do but unfortunately that side of the game is gone.
It’s gone for good reason I know but HB come up with something to put the fun back in your game.

I think what you are asking for is tying some kind of distance multiplier or overswing to the downswing stick speed like in Rory I think IIRC. Would be cool and often thought of mechanic which is 2 fold - backswing length determines intended power but downswing speed to confirm. Swing too fast down and you will add power like overswing; swing too slow and you will lose power from what you "set" on your backswing length - so if you swing back for a 100% shot but swing too slow forward, your overall power could be say 80% whereas swing super fast and you could have that 100% backswing power set to 110% because you overswung. Likewise on a partial shot. If you pull back to say a 75% swing but swing too fast forward, you could hit anything from 76-110% power perhaps. Of course accuracy is affected the faster you swing compared to the power you set on your backswing. I'm not entirely sure on how that could be coded to feel natural however, just an idea.

However I like the tempo element in this game as it adds that dispersion left and right that you get with 3 click and I just don't know how it can also be added in with this. Was Rory dispersion left and right just all about swing path but that swing path was as thin as anything? I cannot remember it for the life of me.

What really baffles me though is the bolded part. That part you are referring to was never really meant to part of the game nor an option for people to purposely play for; it was not what the swing mechanic of FAST means at all. I know you say you know how the swing works and that non-perfect tempo is club face angle and nothing to do with swing speed, but it's comments like this that make out you actually don't know what the swing is all about in this game.

hammers1man

« Reply #5372 on: May 14, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »

I think what you are asking for is tying some kind of distance multiplier or overswing to the downswing stick speed like in Rory I think IIRC. Would be cool and often thought of mechanic which is 2 fold - backswing length determines intended power but downswing speed to confirm. Swing too fast down and you will add power like overswing; swing too slow and you will lose power from what you "set" on your backswing length - so if you swing back for a 100% shot but swing too slow forward, your overall power could be say 80% whereas swing super fast and you could have that 100% backswing power set to 110% because you overswung. Likewise on a partial shot. If you pull back to say a 75% swing but swing too fast forward, you could hit anything from 76-110% power perhaps. Of course accuracy is affected the faster you swing compared to the power you set on your backswing. I'm not entirely sure on how that could be coded to feel natural however, just an idea.

However I like the tempo element in this game as it adds that dispersion left and right that you get with 3 click and I just don't know how it can also be added in with this. Was Rory dispersion left and right just all about swing path but that swing path was as thin as anything? I cannot remember it for the life of me.

What really baffles me though is the bolded part. That part you are referring to was never really meant to part of the game nor an option for people to purposely play for; it was not what the swing mechanic of FAST means at all. I know you say you know how the swing works and that non-perfect tempo is club face angle and nothing to do with swing speed, but it's comments like this that make out you actually don't know what the swing is all about in this game.
I think the word tempo is misunderstood also in real golf. People say that nobody has the same tempo by that is not true. Swing speeds are vastly different around the board but tempo generally isn't with a 3:1 ratio being the most common for pros.
The game gets it right that you want to keep your tempo consistent but timing would be a truer explanation for the mechanic much like you mentioned the 3 click swing.
Could a real time downswing work with timing also I don't know.
Personally I really like HB's controller swing, massive improvement from TGC1's basic swing that I really didn't like.
I would rather they just kept improving what they have now and really work on the scrambling.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #5373 on: May 14, 2021, 03:30:04 PM »
So looks like HB is all in with this update by more nerfing. The splash shot should have been done a while ago I agree but the game is total bore now.  Perfect or die rinse and repeat.

Sucks though golf is my first love. Especially for online play with friends and my society. Hopefully the other game coming out is good.

Ohh well I got The Show to play with some sim buddies in a league and the online ranked games are actually a lot of fun. You get some clowns but mostly I have had good games and couple amazing ones. I still cannot believe how much I love playing BB. It is crazy.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Gasman

« Reply #5374 on: May 14, 2021, 04:40:33 PM »

I’ll try & simplify...

Driving distance average has probably dropped around 10-20 % because of this update.
It’s probably sitting around 250-270 yards now that’s probably a good 50 yards lower than good Tour players average but yet we are playing tour courses.
Perfect needs to be more challenging to hit but should yield a longer carry (club distance needs an overhaul).Fast & slow need to have a lesser impact on distance because it’s ridiculous to lose 40 yards because of a slightly closed/open face. Very Fast & Very Slow can stay as they are.

Despite what you continually think & post..... I know how the game works.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:42:07 PM by Gasman »

AndersNM

« Reply #5375 on: May 14, 2021, 06:07:26 PM »

I’ll try & simplify...

Driving distance average has probably dropped around 10-20 % because of this update.
It’s probably sitting around 250-270 yards now that’s probably a good 50 yards lower than good Tour players average but yet we are playing tour courses.
Perfect needs to be more challenging to hit but should yield a longer carry (club distance needs an overhaul).Fast & slow need to have a lesser impact on distance because it’s ridiculous to lose 40 yards because of a slightly closed/open face. Very Fast & Very Slow can stay as they are.

In the latest USE tournament this week, I had the same driving distance average that I have had in this game since launch. We play on Master swing difficulty in USE. On a bad miss for me, I loose at most 20 yards. I am a very mediocre player in USE - usualy at the bottom of the leaderboard. And to be clear - master or legend swing difficulty should not be for everyone. So I firmly disagree that this update has dropped the average driving distance for all players - some, perhaps, but then they either can drop down in difficulty, or practice more - or be happy with the misses. Personaly, I find the penalties on the longer shots to be quite good. I think the problem on shorter shots - full swing short irons, wedges, pitches - from good lie, is that the windows are too small. There needs to be a slightly easier shot for each club based on loft - not just driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons and wedges. I have the same windows on my 4 iron as my 9 iron, and that is not how it should be. A 4 iron should be slightly more difficult compared to a 5 iron etc.
And I think the penalties and windows should be reflected on the lie; smaller windows and worse penalties on bad lie compared to a good lie (rough vs fairway for example).

I somewhat agree that there should be possible to get longer distance in accordance with the longest hitters on Tour. But how to do this?
The idea of different swing speed based on what club you choose to put in the bag is just a very bad idea I hope HB puts in the garbage-bin at once. If the game allows different swing speed, I think this must be some sort of player skill system.
But either way, the game mechanic that should allow you to hit with more swing speed on a round if you want to take on a risk/reward shot is overswing - and overswing needs to be expanded from the 105% that currently is in the game. 105% is too little, but it is better than nothing.

Gasman

« Reply #5376 on: May 14, 2021, 06:46:42 PM »

I’ll try & simplify...

In the latest USE tournament this week, I had the same driving distance average that I have had in this game since launch. We play on Master swing difficulty in USE. On a bad miss for me, I loose at most 20 yards. I am a very mediocre player in USE - usualy at the bottom of the leaderboard. And to be clear - master or legend swing difficulty should not be for everyone. So I firmly disagree that this update has dropped the average driving distance for all players - some, perhaps, but then they either can drop down in difficulty, or practice more - or be happy with the misses. Personaly, I find the penalties on the longer shots to be quite good. I think the problem on shorter shots - full swing short irons, wedges, pitches - from good lie, is that the windows are too small. There needs to be a slightly easier shot for each club based on loft - not just driver, fairway wood, hybrid, irons and wedges. I have the same windows on my 4 iron as my 9 iron, and that is not how it should be. A 4 iron should be slightly more difficult compared to a 5 iron etc.
And I think the penalties and windows should be reflected on the lie; smaller windows and worse penalties on bad lie compared to a good lie (rough vs fairway for example).

I somewhat agree that there should be possible to get longer distance in accordance with the longest hitters on Tour. But how to do this?
The idea of different swing speed based on what club you choose to put in the bag is just a very bad idea I hope HB puts in the garbage-bin at once. If the game allows different swing speed, I think this must be some sort of player skill system.
But either way, the game mechanic that should allow you to hit with more swing speed on a round if you want to take on a risk/reward shot is overswing - and overswing needs to be expanded from the 105% that currently is in the game. 105% is too little, but it is better than nothing.

Playing on Xbox my 295 carry on driver will give possibly 320 on a perfect if I hit fast it drops to 275 & very fast is 240 I think.
Prior to the update all three mentioned would pass the 300 yard mark.
If you are playing on PlayStation or PC the perfect frequency is vastly increased so I wouldn’t expect to see such a drop in driving average.
Xbox tempo is spotty & perfect is not so easy.

DDawg

• My Byte is worse than my Bark ...
« Reply #5377 on: May 14, 2021, 07:12:29 PM »
Omg USEless! Nobody cares.

There is a video already up on how to cheat the splash shot. Same clown who was part of the reason for this nerfing bs.

Keep making a game around losers and teaching pros. Well done HB.

TGC dying the slow death, one update at a time ...
My most recent course

Misty Mountain Monastery

The Links @ Hylandia #2
El Dorado Hills 95762
Calaveras Willow Oak
San Simoleon

My System:
Asus TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING MB w/32MB
Intel i9-9900KF 3600 MHz
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
MSI Optix MAG321CURV Curved Gaming Monitor

kgboomer

« Reply #5378 on: May 14, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »

There is a video already up on how to cheat the splash shot. Same clown who was part of the reason for this nerfing bs.

Now that's hilarious, it sure didn't take long.  ;D

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #5379 on: May 14, 2021, 11:37:41 PM »

As long as there will be competitions there will be cheaters for those competitions.  I dont see what a cheater gets out of his accomplishments.  I guess it's either someone with no morals or is just depressed/sad.
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

Martbloke

« Reply #5380 on: May 15, 2021, 06:21:12 AM »

As long as there will be competitions there will be cheaters for those competitions.  I dont see what a cheater gets out of his accomplishments.  I guess it's either someone with no morals or is just depressed/sad.

Nah people posting cheats or exploits are all about clicks and views. It's how the world is these days, "Hey look at me!"

Martbloke

« Reply #5381 on: May 15, 2021, 08:50:50 AM »
Now playing around a bit more since the latest update, these updates are really there for punishing tempo, obviously, but I feel it's taken not only over-hitting your target away from the game as misses are now distance lost penalties (gotta up the overswing peeps) but now also swing plane issues.

This is what it's done for me. I enjoyed the challenge of Legend before any update. I liked how penal it was not just for tempo, but particularly with swing plane. The updates I do agree with to coincide with what should happen so don't get me wrong there but with these updates, tempo has become harder. Not the actual tempo itself, but just because of how you fear missing tempo now. Because of this, Legend difficulty even with the more forgiving clubs seems out of my league for now as it's losing the fun when I'm constantly shooting + double digits a round not making any cuts and have had to drop to Master. I'm fine with this as well as Legend is not for everyone and should be difficult so with practice I'm sure I'll get back there at some point.

My issue with me not being able to play Legend as much is now with swing plane. Going down to Master means the swing plane is even larger even on the lowest swing plane clubs and so you don't get that penalty for swing plane any more. I generally swing quite straight with a slight off centre sometimes so Legend worked for me here but Master is just no issue for straightness on the plane.

I think what I'm trying to say is maybe have different difficulties for each of tempo and swing plane. Right now because of the updates, Master is good regarding tempo but swing plane too easy. Give me Legend swing plane and Master tempo and that would suit me I feel.

PS: for those wanting that risk/reward, it's there for you but even riskier. Grey fasts go that bit extra 😜
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:08:20 AM by Martbloke »

Gasman

« Reply #5382 on: May 15, 2021, 10:48:32 AM »
Now playing around a bit more since the latest update, these updates are really there for punishing tempo, obviously, but I feel it's taken not only over-hitting your target away from the game as misses are now distance lost penalties (gotta up the overswing peeps) but now also swing plane issues.

This is what it's done for me. I enjoyed the challenge of Legend before any update. I liked how penal it was not just for tempo, but particularly with swing plane. The updates I do agree with to coincide with what should happen so don't get me wrong there but with these updates, tempo has become harder. Not the actual tempo itself, but just because of how you fear missing tempo now. Because of this, Legend difficulty even with the more forgiving clubs seems out of my league for now as it's losing the fun when I'm constantly shooting + double digits a round not making any cuts and have had to drop to Master. I'm fine with this as well as Legend is not for everyone and should be difficult so with practice I'm sure I'll get back there at some point.

My issue with me not being able to play Legend as much is now with swing plane. Going down to Master means the swing plane is even larger even on the lowest swing plane clubs and so you don't get that penalty for swing plane any more. I generally swing quite straight with a slight off centre sometimes so Legend worked for me here but Master is just no issue for straightness on the plane.

I think what I'm trying to say is maybe have different difficulties for each of tempo and swing plane. Right now because of the updates, Master is good regarding tempo but swing plane too easy. Give me Legend swing plane and Master tempo and that would suit me I feel.

PS: for those wanting that risk/reward, it's there for you but even riskier. Grey fasts go that bit extra 😜

I’m pleased to read a post like this regarding dropping difficulty level.
It’s something I see players saying all the time....

‘If the games to challenging drop a difficulty level’.

‘Why complain about the update when there are 5 other difficulty levels’.

‘Drop to Pro if you want an arcade experience’.

It’s not always the answer the game can become really stale quickly if it’s to easy to hit plane or tempo.
It was perfect on Xbox before the update but definitely a dull game now.
As much as I want to ditch the game I’m such a huge fan of golf that I’ll keep playing until March 22 when we’ll see another effort from EA.

Alan_Bernardo

• GroupMember
« Reply #5383 on: May 15, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »
It’s not always the answer the game can become really stale quickly if it’s to easy to hit plane or tempo.
As much as I want to ditch the game I’m such a huge fan of golf that I’ll keep playing until March 22 when we’ll see another effort from EA.

Playing on the PC, Master is definitely more difficult.  That being so, the game is harder at all levels.  What puzzles me is why all the leaderboards haven't been reset.  Old scores are invalid, considering the change in difficulty.  And still there's the stupidly annoying -35s, because a nine-hole score is being calculated as a full round.  Leaderboards ought to be ordered according to Pro, Master, Legend, etc., at least. 

There's been a lot of tinkering with swing tempo, but nothing otherwise.  That's what is so disappointing.  I'll deal with the change in difficulty and stay with Master.  Pro, at least to me, is not to my liking.  I play for the challenge, and not for absurdly low scores. 
Acer Predator G3-605
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8CPUs),~3.4GHz
8 Gig RAM
GeForce GTX 760

Gasman

« Reply #5384 on: May 15, 2021, 01:16:08 PM »

Playing on the PC, Master is definitely more difficult.  That being so, the game is harder at all levels.  What puzzles me is why all the leaderboards haven't been reset.  Old scores are invalid, considering the change in difficulty.  And still there's the stupidly annoying -35s, because a nine-hole score is being calculated as a full round.  Leaderboards ought to be ordered according to Pro, Master, Legend, etc., at least. 

There's been a lot of tinkering with swing tempo, but nothing otherwise.  That's what is so disappointing.  I'll deal with the change in difficulty and stay with Master.  Pro, at least to me, is not to my liking.  I play for the challenge, and not for absurdly low scores.

I spent a good amount of time testing club yardages from the release swing mechanic to the updated mechanic last night & was surprised to find that perfect has always given the longest results.
I had it in my head that red fast always went farther than perfect.
Not sure if it’s the case for all shot types but the results on full swings are definitely conclusive.
The HB developers need to spend more time balancing & testing on all Microsoft hardware because the difference in difficulty seems miles apart now. (Way to many fasts & very fasts with the same input)
Seen some blaming the hardware but it’s 100% down to the skill set of the developers.

space-cash