PGA Tour 2k21

• 6132 Replies

Martbloke

« Reply #6105 on: June 07, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
Shock! A public forum has differing opinions from different people; some you like, some you don't. Watch out!

Think you'll find a lot is actually trying to help SROEL with splash shots.

If they update it again, I won't mind as long as it makes sense. If they update it back to what it was, I won't mind again - had fun on Legend.

Don't like comments, don't read them. Your choice to do so and to comment yet another distaste for such comments. No one's forcing you.

sroel908

« Reply #6106 on: June 07, 2021, 09:18:18 PM »
I do appreciate the help. It does eliminate some of the frustration. But I do have some remaining issues with all this - unrelated to the folks here.

It shouldn't be left to two people here, who are not HB employees (to my knowledge! Hehe!) to explain how the game works. I have never heard of the game not being 1:1 in terms of percentages, and I have spent far too much time on forums and sites related to this game. It shouldn't be info that has to be hunted down - again, 9-10 months after release - to a post in a thread which last had a new comment on  September 14, 2020.

It also goes against what is shown on the screen, and how the game is explained in the tutorials and such. Yes, lie and elevation make a difference, obviously - but the "80%" not actually being 80% is hard to wrap your head around unless you find this one obscure post in a shadowy corner of the virtual golfing internet! Plus, HB is not "officially" on these forums anymore! Why would anyone look here for it?!?!?!

This all falls into the continued inability for HB to communicate changes, functionality, and the like. Imagine all the other people out there who play this game, but don't come to these forums. All they see is the game not working as it did for 9 months. They're left out in the cold, with no idea what has changed. They go to twitter, and get such little details that makes zero sense to anyone who's not a weirdo like us on these forums!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:21:19 PM by sroel908 »

Gasman

« Reply #6107 on: June 08, 2021, 02:59:57 AM »
Game was completely messed up last night....literally couldn’t hit anything other than a slow on my 3rd round when the two rounds prior I had absolutely no issue with the tempo.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #6108 on: June 08, 2021, 07:13:00 AM »
I do appreciate the help. It does eliminate some of the frustration. But I do have some remaining issues with all this - unrelated to the folks here.

It shouldn't be left to two people here, who are not HB employees (to my knowledge! Hehe!) to explain how the game works. I have never heard of the game not being 1:1 in terms of percentages, and I have spent far too much time on forums and sites related to this game. It shouldn't be info that has to be hunted down - again, 9-10 months after release - to a post in a thread which last had a new comment on  September 14, 2020.

It also goes against what is shown on the screen, and how the game is explained in the tutorials and such. Yes, lie and elevation make a difference, obviously - but the "80%" not actually being 80% is hard to wrap your head around unless you find this one obscure post in a shadowy corner of the virtual golfing internet! Plus, HB is not "officially" on these forums anymore! Why would anyone look here for it?!?!?!

This all falls into the continued inability for HB to communicate changes, functionality, and the like. Imagine all the other people out there who play this game, but don't come to these forums. All they see is the game not working as it did for 9 months. They're left out in the cold, with no idea what has changed. They go to twitter, and get such little details that makes zero sense to anyone who's not a weirdo like us on these forums!

Agreed, a lot of people arent weirdos like all of us and obsessing over one games forum.  We are the dedicated ones for sure.  I saw HB's post on twitter (not that I have an account ) but all it said when I looked was "we pushed out a small update today".  It may have said "swing update".  I cant remember.  But, if you're going to change something core to the game it needs to be explained as a pop up when the game loads.  Not just a one line comment on forums that only us nerds read.
  Now,  how about fixing those randomizing leaderboards?  Cant be a AAA title with that junk./ that's bush league.
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

gchewitt3

« Reply #6109 on: June 08, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »
I begin to count as soon as my backswing begins when I'm putting and will get to 14 at full swing. Playing fast greens a full swing goes 167 feet. When The game suggests a 50% putt, it isn't asking me to hit 83 feet, it's asking me to limit my backswing to a count of 7. A half swing that will go about 50 feet. This works fine for putting, but there's no way to use the same method with any other swing type because there's no way to slow the swing down or to count fast enough. So all there is is to eyeball where a % of the swing should stop. It would be nice if someone with the computer skills better than mine could post somewhere pics of what a 10, 20, 30, 40, etc % backswing looks like. That might help everyone.

GreyOsprey

« Reply #6110 on: June 08, 2021, 09:50:39 AM »
My biggest frustration isn't pushing through a "small update" and not explaining it, but rather the inexplicable nature of the swing tempo from hole to hole, round to round, day to day, etc.  At the end of the day, we're moving a little joystick back and forth.  It's not a complicated process.  Yet, you can get drastically different results not only in slow/fast, but swing path.  And that's not even considering what affect the hampster servers, course details, luck of the controller lottery, or the ridiculous system/console discrepancies have on the game and swing tempo/plane, etc.

Now maybe they've tuned the swing so damn fine that a millisecond of a millisecond is the difference between perfect, grey fast/slow, or red fast/slow, but it sure feels random as heck for me.  And THAT'S were my beef with the game comes in.  I don't mind playing and stinking up the joint, but I do mind not having a damn clue if I'm going to get a fast, perfect, slow, or what my "line" is going to look like.  The entire swing mechanic feels so damn random and really sucks the fun right out of the game.

I could write a paragraph on how horrible the putting is.  I shouldn't have to hold the controller/stick differently when putting, but it's the only way I can hope for something that resembles a straight line, otherwise it looks like Zoro is putting.  It's asinine, frustrating and just a piss poor design.   

As for TGCTours, I think some of you give them A LOT more credit than they deserve for influencing developer decisions with this game, unless we can blame TGCTours for taking a mediocre game and making it worse.  I'm pretty sure PGATOUR 2K21 and Barstool have more members than TGCTours, and I'm sure a lot of the members at TGCTours are in multiple societies, inflating the society numbers.  And let's use a grain of salt with the notion they're "competitive".  All societies are competitive in nature.  Some are just more gimmicky and arcade than others.  They're so "competitive" they won't use the highest difficulty in any society.  It's a gimmick, nothing more. 

Lastly, I think it's been mentioned, but on sand shots, cycle your clubs back/forth.  For some reason on some  greenside bunker shots the "cursor" automatically has been shortened completely giving you the slow swing animation.  If you move it back out, you will get the regular (or inbetween, if you'd like) swing speed and it should help with tempo and reducing duffing bunkner shots. 

Sorry for the long post.  Carry on.               

Martbloke

« Reply #6111 on: June 08, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
I begin to count as soon as my backswing begins when I'm putting and will get to 14 at full swing. Playing fast greens a full swing goes 167 feet. When The game suggests a 50% putt, it isn't asking me to hit 83 feet, it's asking me to limit my backswing to a count of 7. A half swing that will go about 50 feet. This works fine for putting, but there's no way to use the same method with any other swing type because there's no way to slow the swing down or to count fast enough. So all there is is to eyeball where a % of the swing should stop. It would be nice if someone with the computer skills better than mine could post somewhere pics of what a 10, 20, 30, 40, etc % backswing looks like. That might help everyone.

Yep there is - If you pull the aim marker to you, your swing animation slows down.

To add - even if you have marker off, pulling towards you as if it was on still works as the marker is there, just invisible (only works off the green. When on the green and no marker, the invisible marker is fixed and cannot be moved).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:17:54 AM by Martbloke »

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #6112 on: June 08, 2021, 11:55:01 AM »
My biggest frustration isn't pushing through a "small update" and not explaining it, but rather the inexplicable nature of the swing tempo from hole to hole, round to round, day to day, etc.  At the end of the day, we're moving a little joystick back and forth.  It's not a complicated process.  Yet, you can get drastically different results not only in slow/fast, but swing path.  And that's not even considering what affect the hampster servers, course details, luck of the controller lottery, or the ridiculous system/console discrepancies have on the game and swing tempo/plane, etc.

Now maybe they've tuned the swing so damn fine that a millisecond of a millisecond is the difference between perfect, grey fast/slow, or red fast/slow, but it sure feels random as heck for me.  And THAT'S were my beef with the game comes in.  I don't mind playing and stinking up the joint, but I do mind not having a damn clue if I'm going to get a fast, perfect, slow, or what my "line" is going to look like.  The entire swing mechanic feels so damn random and really sucks the fun right out of the game.

FWIW, this has been my frustration with this year’s version of the game.  :(

-MERACE

hammers1man

« Reply #6113 on: June 08, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »

I could write a paragraph on how horrible the putting is.  I shouldn't have to hold the controller/stick differently when putting, but it's the only way I can hope for something that resembles a straight line, otherwise it looks like Zoro is putting.  It's asinine, frustrating and just a piss poor design.   

As for TGCTours, I think some of you give them A LOT more credit than they deserve for influencing developer decisions with this game, unless we can blame TGCTours for taking a mediocre game and making it worse.  I'm pretty sure PGATOUR 2K21 and Barstool have more members than TGCTours, and I'm sure a lot of the members at TGCTours are in multiple societies, inflating the society numbers.  And let's use a grain of salt with the notion they're "competitive".  All societies are competitive in nature.  Some are just more gimmicky and arcade than others.  They're so "competitive" they won't use the highest difficulty in any society.  It's a gimmick, nothing more. 

Lastly, I think it's been mentioned, but on sand shots, cycle your clubs back/forth.  For some reason on some  greenside bunker shots the "cursor" automatically has been shortened completely giving you the slow swing animation.  If you move it back out, you will get the regular (or inbetween, if you'd like) swing speed and it should help with tempo and reducing duffing bunkner shots. 

Sorry for the long post.  Carry on.             
When 2K21 first came out I found the putting impossible and was so frustrated as I felt no grid putting on TGC 2019 was the strongest part of my game. I tried this slow backstroke that was hard to get straight, pushes and pull putts galore and a lot of missed 2 or 3 footers. I did change to full cam which is slightly raised and does give a better view of the backstroke.
The best HB update for me was when they slowed the backstroke down slightly for shorter putts.
I now use the same method as every other TGC game, I pull the stick all the way back to the plastic and and a nice firm forward push of the stick for all putts. My putting lines are very straight now, my putting is probably better than it was in TGC 2019.
If you don't use this method now and you did for TGC 2019 give it a go. It totally changed the game for me for all putts lengths.
The putting in this game is better than any other golf game I have ever played.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:55:24 PM by hammers1man »

FRSTDWN

« Reply #6114 on: June 08, 2021, 05:03:08 PM »
Putting is still the best part of this game imop. Absolutely love it with no grids. It's the closest to real life u have never seen minus the putter heads being at weird angles.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Oswinner

« Reply #6115 on: June 11, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
13 rounds through a master swing no assists career and my average is 71.62. For comparison, I averaged 69.09 through 54 rounds with pro swing. I've actually hit slightly more fairways on master swing (72% vs 73%) but hit way less greens (75% vs 65%). Proximity to hole on Pro was 26.6ft and Master 30.2ft whatever that means.

Here's my last round, a 68 around a firm/fast Bay Hill. Coulda/shoulda been better but I duffed a couple of shots on a par-5 and went into the water being too aggressive on another...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052735169

LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

Martbloke

« Reply #6116 on: June 11, 2021, 09:30:56 AM »
These last few days that I have played I mustered a -3 at the Reverie (or whatever it's called) tournament in RD1 and a -4 in RD1 of the Waste Management on Master. Tempo has been good and when missed, I'm happy with the results. RD2 of the Reverie and Waste Management however I sucked (+4 and +3) and that's because of playing at different times to RD1 and losing my groove. When you are off tempo it is a challenge to break par for sure as you try and get your tempo back but shows that when it all clicks and you nail tempo, you can score well. In that respect, it feels rather good.

May be me but think the backswing has been slowed a touch (when at 100% intent) so it feels easier to hit my tempo.

Oswinner

« Reply #6117 on: June 11, 2021, 10:46:30 AM »
4 rounds later my average has skyrocketed lol. Thought I’d be clever and play Sawgrass in firm/very fast conditions. Hit the ball well but too many 3 putts meant I shot 74. 2nd round back 9 I fell apart. Lost my tempo, second guessing myself on putts and three water balls in the last two holes for back to back quads to finish 84 lol. +3 and +4 followed at Copperhead and San Antonio. Master swing is blooming hard lol.
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

Alan_Bernardo

• GroupMember
« Reply #6118 on: June 11, 2021, 12:37:16 PM »
For those who say even with the same swing they are getting wildly different tempo results, I think this is because, though the downswing may be very similar in feel, the transition is off.

I could be wrong here.  But I swear it works for me, when I'm concentrating.

Being a lover of statistics of all kinds, here's my last round at Turnberry, playing Master.  Was rolling along through 15 with a -3.  Then bogeys on 16 and 17, and a great Par save on 18, ending with a -1. 

File is attached.
Acer Predator G3-605
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8CPUs),~3.4GHz
8 Gig RAM
GeForce GTX 760

hammers1man

« Reply #6119 on: June 11, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »
For those who say even with the same swing they are getting wildly different tempo results, I think this is because, though the downswing may be very similar in feel, the transition is off.

I could be wrong here.  But I swear it works for me, when I'm concentrating.

Being a lover of statistics of all kinds, here's my last round at Turnberry, playing Master.  Was rolling along through 15 with a -3.  Then bogeys on 16 and 17, and a great Par save on 18, ending with a -1. 

File is attached.
Yes definitely if you're too quick or slow with the transition from backswing to downswing it effects tempo. So it might feel the downswing is not fast or slow but the transition can be.
Also I have changed to the distance wedges and driver which I will play from now on. All my clubs are purple. I am having no problems with bunkers and splash Tbh. It could be like you say that people duffing splash is down to the transition being too fast.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:52:09 PM by hammers1man »

space-cash