PGA TOUR 2K21 on the XBox Series S?

• 36 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2021, 10:03:22 AM »
Shoundn't 1440p on a 1080p TV just be like a slight supersampled image?, so slightly better image than 1080p native.

Theoretically it should, but I've read multiple reports of blurring when doing this,  I have no idea why this would be the case.

On the other side upscaling 1080p to my 4k TV works great, but 1080p to 1440p monitor is horrible, the upscaling doesn't work well on those 2 resolutions.

Yeah, upscaling 1080p to 4K works well on both of my TCL Series 6's.  I don't have a 1440p monitor of any sort, so I can't speak to how 1080p upscaling works with anything I have.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »
My frustration is that I know the TV is not capable of the Series S performance to be better graphically than what it is with the One X hooked up, but it should be on par with the One X and it is not; it is worse on that same HD TV with the graphic setting set at 1080 and Game Mode on. That's what baffles me. Why is that?

Would it be much of a hassle to connect your Series S up to your LG C14LB?  I'd like to see what your experience is like with that setup.  One guy told me that he feels ike 2K21 is running at 60 FPS with his 4K Samsung display connected to a Series S.  He also said that he could easily see the difference between the upscaled 1440p from his S and the native 4K from his One X.

To make it look better, I have had to disable Game Mode which increases the lag massively on 30hz to be unplayable, and then put it to 60hz which improves the lag issue so it is playable and I hit perfects for fun, which is OK but will need to up to Legend I think haha. Even then it's still not as good as the One X on Game Mode.

I'm surprised you see that big of a loss in graphics quality when using Game Mode with your 1080p monitor.  So you don't see that big of a difference when using your One X in game mode on the same display?  I don't lose any graphics quality that I can detect on my TCL Series 6 in Game mode, but I do have to change the backlighting and brightness levels to get the same look between OFF and ON.
 I guess I will have to play with the picture settings to dial it in a bit as I was so used to playing on Game Mode on the One X, and see how I get on.

The C1 is our main TV and as the Series S has no disc drive, I was just hoping to keep that upstairs for every now and then playing when I cannot use the lounge. I play a lot of other games that require discs when I have good time to myself in the lounge so I wanted to keep the One X on the C1. I may try switching them and see how I get on perhaps.

I'd really love to hear how the Series S works with your LG C14LB, after reading all of this.  I suspect you're going to see (and feel) a world of difference.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2022, 03:43:38 PM »
Question for the Series S owners among you out there... in the following menu on your Series S: "General/TV & Display Options", is one of the available display options 1440p?
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2022, 12:11:39 PM »
Question for the Series S owners among you out there... in the following menu on your Series S: "General/TV & Display Options", is one of the available display options 1440p?

Hey John,

I checked the settings you referenced on my Xbox Series S and my TCL series 6 and it does support 4K UHD which I assume is 1440p.

It also says my TV supports 4K UHD at 60Hz but not 120Hz.

My TV and Xbox Series S also supports Dolby Vision which comes up on the screen when Red Dead Redemption 2 opens up. It never did that when I had my Xbox One X.

So far I’m loving my Series S especially with the Resume feature. I’ve overcome the limited hard drive storage by purchasing the Seagate 1TB Storage Expansion Card. Also, Xbox Cloud Gaming is working mostly very well with more and more games being added.

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2022, 10:20:37 PM »

Hey John,

I checked the settings you referenced on my Xbox Series S and my TCL series 6 and it does support 4K UHD which I assume is 1440p.

It also says my TV supports 4K UHD at 60Hz but not 120Hz.

My TV and Xbox Series S also supports Dolby Vision which comes up on the screen when Red Dead Redemption 2 opens up. It never did that when I had my Xbox One X.

So far I’m loving my Series S especially with the Resume feature. I’ve overcome the limited hard drive storage by purchasing the Seagate 1TB Storage Expansion Card. Also, Xbox Cloud Gaming is working mostly very well with more and more games being added.

Thanks for checking into that Mark.  4K resolution is 2160p.  I keep reading that the Series S native resolution is 1440p, but I'm sure it's upscaling that to 4K.  I was mostly curious to see if the Series S showed a 1440p resolution in its display options.  My Series X shows: 720p, 1080p, and 4K as its display res options.

I've tried backing my res down from 4K to 1080p, to see if I can perceive a performance improvement with 2K21.... I can't definitively say that I do.

It's great that you have all that extra SSD storage.  That helps so much with my gaming enjoyment having that.  I'm usually hovering at 85 to 95% full drive, but I'd have at least three more games on there if I had the space.  I cycle some games in and out.
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2022, 11:28:49 PM »
My Series S also shows: 720p, 1080p, and 4K as its display res options.

All I know is that MLB The Show 22 looks incredible on my Xbox Series S!  8)

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2022, 11:57:52 PM »
My Series S also shows: 720p, 1080p, and 4K as its display res options.

All I know is that MLB The Show 22 looks incredible on my Xbox Series S!  8)

-MERACE

I had a feeling that's what it was going to show.  So it's taking the 1440p and upscaling it to 4K, and downscaling it to 720 and 1080p, or at least that's what I suspect.  I keep reading over and over again that the S natively renders at 1440p.

MLB The Show 22 looks incredible on my Series X.  I didn't play MLB 21 all that much, even though it seemed to play well.  I'm just terrible at the game.  I haven't really taken ample time to learn any of the control interfaces.  I think once I do I'll have a better chance of really getting into the game.  I suck at zone hitting, but that's what I feel like I have to do to for the full enjoyment of the game.  Just swinging the bat by timing a button press now feels cheesy to me.  It'll be June before my baseball hormones kick in though...  :-[
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash