Question for PC version players who run 2K21 @ 60 FPS

• 8 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:25:22 PM »
I've got a question for those of you who can run 2K21 at 60 FPS on your PC and possibly have also played the XBox One X version.  Do you find it easier to complete a swing and to regulate your tempo for more consistent results at 60 FPS on your gaming PC, than what you've experienced on the XBox One X?

I ask this because I own the XBox One X version of 2K21 and while I'm really enjoying it, I feel like it's missing something in the swing feedback department, as it feels like it's struggling to maintain 30 FPS.  I'm thinking the swing would feel much better and be easier to regulate at 60 FPS, but I'd like to hear some thoughts on that from those who've experienced it at both frame rates.

I was planning to buy the PC version later on, after the price was cut to $40, or less, just as I did with TGC 2019.  I can run TGC 2019 at 60 FPS on my gaming PC at 1440p, and I'm thinking that would likely be the case with 2K21 also.  I might be willing to come off the hip a little earlier if I get feedback telling me the 60 FPS experience is considerably better with 2K21.

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Theopen

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 06:56:35 PM »
Well, here are my specs:

i7-8700k
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM

I honestly don't know what FPS I get in this game ... but I get over 60 on ultra settings in games like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Sadly, this game (as well as TGC2019) does not feel optimized when it comes to the graphics in relation to the in-game mechanics.

In TGC2019, there was a noticeable increase in Fast tempo if you increased the graphics quality.  I had to play at Medium graphics settings in order to maintain a consistent tempo.  So, that's what I'm using in PGA 2k21 as well (started with High, but lowered it to squeeze just a few more "perfect" tempos out of the game).

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 09:25:51 PM »
Well, here are my specs:

i7-8700k
GTX 1080
16 GB RAM

I honestly don't know what FPS I get in this game ... but I get over 60 on ultra settings in games like Red Dead Redemption 2.

Sadly, this game (as well as TGC2019) does not feel optimized when it comes to the graphics in relation to the in-game mechanics.

In TGC2019, there was a noticeable increase in Fast tempo if you increased the graphics quality.  I had to play at Medium graphics settings in order to maintain a consistent tempo.  So, that's what I'm using in PGA 2k21 as well (started with High, but lowered it to squeeze just a few more "perfect" tempos out of the game).

Thanks for the reply.  I just realized when I saw your specs that I haven't updated mine in my sig line yet, I've now done so.  If you're curious to see what your frame rate is, there's a frame rate counter you can access via your Steam settings menu.  You can make it small and tuck it out of the way... I have it in my upper left hand corner on most games.

It sounds like you're able to get more consistent tempos with higher frame rates though, so I thank you for responding to that.  I know you said you've reduced your graphics settings down a bit, but let me ask you, what resolution are you running the game in? 
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »
John, I didn't bother to reply as I don't play on console. Anyways, I play on Ultra settings always and have never dropped below 60fps on any of the newer courses. Most courses are 80-100fps. Rig in my sig.  :)  Besides a decent rig, I think internet speed is key.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »
John, I didn't bother to reply as I don't play on console. Anyways, I play on Ultra settings always and have never dropped below 60fps on any of the newer courses. Most courses are 80-100fps. Rig in my sig.  :)  Besides a decent rig, I think internet speed is key.

My i5 processor is but a mere pimple on the underarm of your i7!  You've also got DDR4 RAM, whereas mine is DDR3.  This game is so course dependent for performance though.  The same settings that I got 32-36 FPS on Quail Hollow, produced 63-72 FPS at Faxon Park yesterday :o  I went back to play the first hole at Quail Hollow again after experiencing that all the way through Faxon Park, and lo & behold, I was back at 32-36 FPS again ???
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

scajjr2

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 12:42:48 PM »
I have a i9-9900k, 32Gb DDR4 & a RTX2080Ti, 600/mbps internet. You would think that should run any course at ultra w/o affecting the swing timing. But it doesn't always. It also seems the load on the server can play a role. Last night I gave up playing as on most hole the little broadcast icon would start pulsing and if I didn't catch it out of the corner of my eye and stop my swing it would cause the swing to be either fast or slow, usually slow.
When I start to play a course if the swing seems off and no broadcast beacon pulsing, I restart using high instead of ultra.  You would have thought the devs would have optimized the game to the max capabilities of the course designer.

But to be fair our Fri night golf group also plays Perfect Golf and we run into FPS issues with courses as well. We can have a hole where I get 30-40FPS (or lower) which means the other guys who mostly have GTX1000 series cards drop into the low 20's.

Sam
MSI X570 Tomahawk
Ryzen 9 5950X
32Gb DDR4
Asus 6900XT ROG Strix LC
Monoprice 32" 4K monitor x2

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 08:50:16 PM »
My recommendation is to play at whatever FPS your computer can be rock solid at.  Tempo will suffer if you are playing at 100FPS and you get a dip to 90 or even 95 FPS. It is better to lock it at a lower number and not have it move at all in this game, due to the havoc it can cause on your tempo.

I have  4k monitor locked dead at 60fps. I can go  higher but I can't always maintain it, especially since different courses can tax your GPU differently.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
I feel a need to revisit this thread now as I did go and buy the PC version at regular price, after hearing from some of the PC users here and other places.  The PC version of 2K21, even on my somewhat average gaming PC, is night and day difference over the XBox One X version in frame rate performance!  I unlock vsync on the PC version (which there's no option to do on the XBox One X version) and on probably 90% of the courses I've played, see 52 - 65 FPS in 2160p.  The XBox One X is vsync locked to 30 FPS.

Why is the frame rate so important in this game?  It's crucial for proper management of the tempo component of the swing.  I'd been playing the XBox One X version in Pro-Am swing difficulty because of the tempo regulation problems I have with it.  I average shooting 70 in Pro-Am on the XBox One X.  Meanwhile, I find that I can play the PC version using Pro swing difficulty, and average shooting 67 ???  I rarely get those inexplicable "off scale" tempo results on the PC, that I'm used to getting at least once per round on the XBox One X version.   I think it's mostly down to tempo, at least in my case, and that tempo is so much easier manage when you're getting the feedback as to where the club is in the swing at rate that's twice as fast.

I reached my boiling point this week with the XBox One X version, and have decided to go exclusively with the PC version.  I'm active in three societies on the XBox One and a lot of my friends play it, but I'm close to wallpapering my rec-room with a controller while playing it right now.  If HB Studios (or Microsoft's backward compatibility team) does something to unlock the frame rate for the XBox Series X, as I'm hoping they'll do, I'll be back onboard with it... well, once I'm able to actually find a Series X that I can buy! 

Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

hammers1man

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »
My recommendation is to play at whatever FPS your computer can be rock solid at.  Tempo will suffer if you are playing at 100FPS and you get a dip to 90 or even 95 FPS. It is better to lock it at a lower number and not have it move at all in this game, due to the havoc it can cause on your tempo.

I have  4k monitor locked dead at 60fps. I can go  higher but I can't always maintain it, especially since different courses can tax your GPU differently.
Is your monitor 60 hz  ? I only ever lock a framerate so it never goes over my monitors 100 hz frame rate. If you have VRR you never need to lock your frame rate as your TV/monitor are in sync with fps and hz.

space-cash