2K21 Chipping Tip

• 4 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: September 02, 2020, 05:05:07 PM »
I wish I could find the post and the forum from which I picked up this tremendous chipping tip I got a couple of days ago, but it's turned what I thought was a marginal chipping game into something with more feel and realistic performance.  Someone was complaining about how soft the chips land and roll to a bit of an abrupt stop.

The suggestion that was given to them by someone responding was to deloft the club you're chipping with a few degrees and try it.  I delofted a lob wedge maybe 1/5th to 1/6 of the scale and lo & behold if it didn't make a world of difference.  For some reason I felt like I was able to take a more rhythmic swing and produce result that both lofted and rolled out in a more lifelike fashion.  I do that with all chip shots now from lob wedge to 8-iron, each time using the same percentage of deloft.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
I wish I could find the post and the forum from which I picked up this tremendous chipping tip I got a couple of days ago, but it's turned what I thought was a marginal chipping game into something with more feel and realistic performance.  Someone was complaining about how soft the chips land and roll to a bit of an abrupt stop.

The suggestion that was given to them by someone responding was to deloft the club you're chipping with a few degrees and try it.  I delofted a lob wedge maybe 1/5th to 1/6 of the scale and lo & behold if it didn't make a world of difference.  For some reason I felt like I was able to take a more rhythmic swing and produce result that both lofted and rolled out in a more lifelike fashion.  I do that with all chip shots now from lob wedge to 8-iron, each time using the same percentage of deloft.

Thia being said.  If you try to chip and roll with a steep edged lob wedge in real life.  Excuse my grammar....."it ain't gonna roll"
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:58:45 PM »
That being said.  If you try to chip and roll with a steep edged lob wedge in real life.  Excuse my grammar....."it ain't gonna roll"

That's true, but the pitching wedge and 9-iron chips I'd use in real life for 7 to 10 yard chips are too "hot" for use in those ranges in this game.  I can get the delofted lob wedge to behave more like I would expect a pitching wedge to roll out in real life in the 7 yard range, while using a swing strength that seems to be more in scale.  It's hard to explain it; I just know I can manage it better with a delofted shorter club.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1070 8 GB
16 GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Gasman

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 03:41:39 AM »
JC’s Short game masterclass 👍🏼

https://gameclips.io/GASMANTWO/4c8ae34c-08f8-46fc-b480-393be649a6a0/embed

Look forward to next weeks episode 😂

spacialgroover

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 04:48:15 PM »
Thia being said.  If you try to chip and roll with a steep edged lob wedge in real life.  Excuse my grammar....."it ain't gonna roll"

It will if you thin it, like I do.  :'(

space-cash