LiDAR Trees - Carried over to 2K21? Any ideas?

• 8 Replies

The Money Tour (TMT)

« on: December 09, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
I can’t get my trees to carry over. Via OSM or LiDAR. Help please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
No idea mate....

Apigilbert or Han or maybe friendbomber more an expert on those things.....i have no idea how osm works i was asked about that today couldn't help them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:21:57 PM by Yeltzman »

leslie.sangster

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:50:26 PM »
I can’t get my trees to carry over. Via OSM or LiDAR. Help please

I still do all my Lidar work on 2019 then port the course across to finish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

apjgilbert

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »
Never tried importing trees from OSM, not many courses have actual trees mapped. If you paint a group of trees or woods as an area, all you get imported is that area as a surface.

England & Scotland Lidar data is OK for trees, but inevitably there's a lot of tidying up as Chad's tool exposes a lot of trunk, so you have to lower most of them. For Wales I tend to just use the land topography data (DTM files). The tree height stuff is also there (DSM files) but I've no clue how to combine them to produce a properly classified .laz file. The only Welsh course I've published to date (Nefyn) has about 2 trees on it.

The Money Tour (TMT)

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »
Same here mate but when I moved it over the LiDAR trees disappear. So I have to replant them all. I replant them anyway with the correct trees heights and exact locations. But now I have no trees at all. It’s a nice aid for my designing. I want to try and crack it.

The Money Tour (TMT)

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:55:50 PM »
I know how to use OSM to bring trees into the game without the aid of LiDAR but when I move the game across I keep losing them. It’s costing me a lot more time than it needs to with that working. I just wish someone had a sure fire way or method to avoid this happening. I am a bit greedy on files sizes and thought maybe that’s my downfall. I don’t mask an awful lot of terrain.

The Money Tour (TMT)

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
HAN has helped me loads over the last couple of months and thought I’d give him a break lol.

leslie.sangster

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
I just highlight prominent trees on OSM anyway because Chad’s tool doesn’t put the right type of tree in anyway so it has to be replaced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 09:08:29 PM »
I know we've spoken about this a few times already but sadly I still haven't come up with a definitive answer as to why it is happening yet but I do have a semi-tested theory......

As we know 2K21 seems to process the lidar data differently than 2019 did so the amount of object meter just the lidar terrain uses up can be a bit "weird" sometimes when you first open the course in the 2K21 designer. To begin with it can show the object meter at 100%, but then as soon as you do any kind of edit at all it then drops to a much lower figure like 50 - 60% or even less.

I haven't tested it thoroughly enough so far but I'm pretty sure the lidar trees not being carried across from 2019 is something to do with the above "glitch" combined with how the overall course "file size" is now determined by 2 separate meters - objects and memory.   

I'm guessing that if the size of the lidar terrain plot you create (or maybe just how much you leave unmasked) is too big and therefore uses up too much of the object meter when it gets imported into 2K21, that the game decides to still generate the plot but just not add the trees because there is not enough space left in the object meter to allow it. Previously in 2019 if the same thing happened it would just not create the plot in the first place, or at least it wouldn't allow it to be opened.

It's late so I probably didn't explain what I mean very well so apologies if that's the case, but hopefully some of what I typed will make a bit of sense  :P

*Edit

As a rough but easy test to my above theory I just quickly dragged 2 other lidar courses into 2K21 that I hadn't previously. They are both relatively small in terms of the unmasked lidar area size and both have full lidar generated trees. When they were both first opened in 2K21 all the lidar trees were generated ok and the object meter was only at 50 - 60% without having to do any edit to drop it from 100% as I described above.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:29:48 PM by Han »
TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - The Brabazon
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros) - with Scarpacci
TGC1/TGC2 Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort