Pro to Master clubs has me fighting for par!

• 11 Replies

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« on: February 01, 2021, 03:21:30 PM »
Hey guys,  been loving the new game.  I know many don't come around here any more but I would like to discuss the difference in pro to master clubs.

I recently got my new ps5 and I'm loving the way the game plays and feel of the new controller.  I have found that depending on the course and conditions I can shoot under par to maybe a few under with master clubs.   I have also found that I'm having a good time in my career mode with these realistic scores.  I will admit that I have to set the computer players to easy so Adam Scott doesn't go too far above -7 per round.
Anyway,  I have found that the master clubs at least for me are much more difficult and not nearly as predictable as the pro clubs.   I'm actually really amazed at how much fun I'm having spraying the ball everywhere.

I honestly started with pro clubs to get the feel for the game,  plus it's what we use online in matchmaking so it made sense,  but moving to masters has brought about a new game for me at this point in time.  With the timing on,  it's truly very hard for me,  but I've also heard some saying that master clubs aren't much harder than pro clubs on 2k21?   Huge difference for me quite honestly...  Maybe I just got very good with pro clubs, who knows?

Anyway,  if you have some experiences for me let me know?  I'm finding that it's going to be very hard for me to win a tourny in career mode even with the PC set to easy at this point in time.   I'm still using the grids as well on the green,  so I have access to basic aids for sure.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

lastchancehombre

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 06:14:43 PM »
I'm still using the grids as well on the green,  so I have access to basic aids for sure

I'd only suggest as I do with many, to try at one time or another turning grids, marker, & wind (just the number) off with Master difficulty once you get use to reading greens without grids you'll find a much more life like experience.

Granted, playing this way isn't for everybody as we all know but particularly with these new systems the game looks waaay better without all the green, yellow, & red clutter!

It does take most quite a while to get use to putting without grids but it IS much more satisfying when you drop that 18 or 30 footer or even that 8-10 footer for birdie.

Anyway I know your stance on sim style of play from previous posts but thought I'd throw it out there for you to consider at this stage of the game!

Glad your having fun!

Peace!
Xbox live g/t LasChanceHombre

**Ported to 2K21

TGC 2019 releases

**Beau Pre Estates
**Stone Lagoon Dunes
**Woodley Island Golf Club
**Nai Palm Hot Springs

TGC2 releases

The Dunes Course at Stone Lagoon
Nai Palm Hot Springs
Vaquero Valley GC Tour Edition

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:01:17 AM »
JE,  nice to have the new ps5, huh?
   I would agree with you.  I have the game on gaming pc as well as the ps4.  (Its easier on ps4 , I think because the ps4 controller is less sensitive than the xbox one controller)  that I use on pc.
   But in response to your thoughts.  Yes.  Pro is challenging at times /mostly though (its not real tough) and (a good starting point) for veterans of previous tgc games.  When you step up to master you do have to concentrate on every shot and this makes the game feel much more like a round of golf irl.   the window of missing on master is obviously smaller and tougher to groove.  It's really nice that we have master and even legend to graduate to.  There really is a skill level for everyone.
    These are my thoughts on just the pro/master swing difference.  Of course you can introduce no grids, scout cam, pointer marker to tailor the difficulty even more but,  the swing challenge itself is what were discussing here and, as a longtime player, I agree there's a good balance of realism on master.
  Note: if I were a beginner I would suggest starting on pro-am. Or even lower for a few rounds until you get used to it.
  HB has done a marvelous job with the selectable difficulties and club sets.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 08:20:49 AM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

IIJohnnyRingoII

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 08:59:37 AM »
   I would agree with you.  I have the game on gaming pc as well as the ps4.  (Its easier on ps4 , I think because the ps4 controller is less sensitive than the xbox one controller)  that I use on pc.
   But in response to your thoughts.  Yes.  Pro is challenging at times /mostly though (its not real tough) and (a good starting point) for veterans of previous tgc games.  When you step up to master you do have to concentrate on every shot and this makes the game feel much more like a round of golf irl.   the window of missing on master is obviously smaller and tougher to groove.  It's really nice that we have master and even legend to graduate to.  There really is a skill level for everyone.
    These are my thoughts on just the pro/master swing difference.  Of course you can introduce no grids, scout cam, pointer marker to tailor the difficulty even more but,  the swing challenge itself is what were discussing here and, as a longtime player, I agree there's a good balance of realism on master.
  Note: if I were a beginner I would suggest starting on pro-am. Or even lower for a few rounds until you get used to it.

I agree with the most part of what Jeffield has stated.

There are so many various ways to tailor the difficulty/experience of what individuals are looking for in regards to challenge.  Beginners should most likely start on Easy, or even Pro-AM.  You can move up the difficulty levels as you improve.

Me personally, I don't enjoy the Master swing difficulty that much (even though I can play it), as it just seems to spray the ball too much for me.  But I suspect that is also very dependent upon the newness of your controller.  No two controllers are the same.

What I have done to get the challenge that I enjoy at present is to turn off scout cam, and to turn off wind speed, and keep my swing locked to Pro level.  Again, it is just a personal preference.  But with those two settings adjusted, and with Pro swing, even veterans of the game will be shooting around Par, or maybe a shade under Par on a good round.  Crank up the wind speed (but again, no visual of what the speed is, only the direction), you will be very hard pressed to break par, and will be concentrating on every shot.  I have zero interest in having the game so difficult that I end up shooting 30 over par or worse.  If I wanted that, I would play real golf.  I want to get the immersion of what it feels like to be a top flight golfer, and actually have a chance at shooting par.  I can never do that in real life.

The beauty to these myriad of gameplay options is that there is almost something for everyone to get what you want out of the game.  You just have to tweak with the settings to find what you are looking for.

Add in that you can lock these settings in your Society settings, it makes it an even playing field for everyone playing in the Society.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:59:38 PM »
Where the hell has JC been?

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED

PGA Tour 2K21 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
https://twitch.tv/frstdwn4lw

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
I'm still using the grids as well on the green,  so I have access to basic aids for sure

I'd only suggest as I do with many, to try at one time or another turning grids, marker, & wind (just the number) off with Master difficulty once you get use to reading greens without grids you'll find a much more life like experience.

Granted, playing this way isn't for everybody as we all know but particularly with these new systems the game looks waaay better without all the green, yellow, & red clutter!

It does take most quite a while to get use to putting without grids but it IS much more satisfying when you drop that 18 or 30 footer or even that 8-10 footer for birdie.

Anyway I know your stance on sim style of play from previous posts but thought I'd throw it out there for you to consider at this stage of the game!

Glad your having fun!

Peace!

Believe it or not I have played without grids and agree it looks fantastic without them.  I have no issues playing without grids in my PGA tour career mode but right now I'm still tweaking settings when it comes to difficulty.   During my career I want a win to be infrequent so it's realistic and I've found now that I've gone to master clubs it's very hard to win with the setting to easy.   I would assume when I turn the grids off I will need to change the AI players to very easy.   It seems right now with settings on easy the round winners are averaging a few strokes better than me per round which is fine because that gives me an opportunity to win at some point.  I'm definitely interested in playing without grids but I'm hoping I can make the AI easiest enough so I'm not getting blown out.

My stance on sim play is not as you might think.  I think that sometimes some of you go way overboard with it,  but to each his own they say.  I starting to find that I'm enjoying things being more realistic..  I don't want to birdie every hole or even shoot 9 under per round..  I don't mind shooting over par either and with master clubs there is a great chance of that happening.
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:50:02 PM »

I love the ps5,  I got lucky,  my son came into my office a couple of weeks ago and said his friend told him they have some in stock but I have to keep refreshing the bestbuy.com screen to try and snag one.  I stayed at it for about half an hour and got lucky and bought one when it popped up available.  It took patience that is for sure though.

The jump from pro to masters is pretty large and I'm liking it,  but it's very hard and could be frustrating for many,  but I find that my scores are realistic right now in this mode of play.  I really haven't even tried legend yet so that is for another day for sure :)   I'm basically looking to find a sweet spot in my career because I'm getting my monies worth from it so far.   I'm seriously interested in going gridless but I have to find a good setting for the AI players so that I at least have a chance if I play very well.   There is no doubt that HB killed it with this game!   I love streaming traditional asian pan flute music through spotify while I play and turning off all of HB's music..  I have found that this has given the game a whole new level of fun for me.   The music just kind of plods along in the background but it's strangely suitable.  Seriously try it sometime.  Next time turn off all the music in game and if you subcribe to a music service play some traditional Asian instrumentals and you will see how relaxing it makes the game..  Very cool stuff.

johneric8

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »

I agree with the most part of what Jeffield has stated.

There are so many various ways to tailor the difficulty/experience of what individuals are looking for in regards to challenge.  Beginners should most likely start on Easy, or even Pro-AM.  You can move up the difficulty levels as you improve.

Me personally, I don't enjoy the Master swing difficulty that much (even though I can play it), as it just seems to spray the ball too much for me.  But I suspect that is also very dependent upon the newness of your controller.  No two controllers are the same.

What I have done to get the challenge that I enjoy at present is to turn off scout cam, and to turn off wind speed, and keep my swing locked to Pro level.  Again, it is just a personal preference.  But with those two settings adjusted, and with Pro swing, even veterans of the game will be shooting around Par, or maybe a shade under Par on a good round.  Crank up the wind speed (but again, no visual of what the speed is, only the direction), you will be very hard pressed to break par, and will be concentrating on every shot.  I have zero interest in having the game so difficult that I end up shooting 30 over par or worse.  If I wanted that, I would play real golf.  I want to get the immersion of what it feels like to be a top flight golfer, and actually have a chance at shooting par.  I can never do that in real life.

The beauty to these myriad of gameplay options is that there is almost something for everyone to get what you want out of the game.  You just have to tweak with the settings to find what you are looking for.

Add in that you can lock these settings in your Society settings, it makes it an even playing field for everyone playing in the Society.

Good feedback!  I love the scout cam because I like checking out the course layout,  this would mess up my fun quite honestly.  I can definitely see how this would make the game more difficult though.

Martbloke

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 06:23:37 PM »
If you are consistent with your tempo and hit perfect 90% of the time, it doesn't matter what skill level you play with tbh as the sweet spot is the same point for all. Just a smaller zone for forgiveness. This is why some say there is no difference to them between Pro and Master especially is they swing dead straight too.

I enjoy Master swing as I am not consistent with my swing which is great fun. I know however if I've swung fast or slow and when I'm off my game, it is a good, fun challenge trying to get my groove back. Going to Pro though is too easy for me and just has no challenge. It's double the size zones than Master and I find it incredibly hard to swing fast or slow with it. I have played Legend and that is brutal. I actually love the difficulty of the swing plane for Legend but tempo is so hard. I would love Master tempo but Legend swing plane and I can understand how some play Legend and tempo off.

I love playing TST and it's the only way I'll play. Shoot anywhere from -5 to +8 on these settings (just shot a +8 at Copperhead for my 1st round, lol). Only tournament I have won on the PGA TOUR mode is the Northern Trust funnily enough and this is playing with AI at 80 (believe that is called Easy where scores are -4 to -6 a round).

Only thing with Scout Cam off is not being able to see how a green slopes. If they had a green book or something on the book map to show the slope, it would be awesome. I have tried however having Scout Cam on and only using it when approaching the green and this is by pressing the Scout Cam button then quickly pressing in the swing stick to show the green and not a rough landing spot. Then I check the green out for slopes. Unfortunately this game has removed the option to dictate if Scout Cam is landing spot or the green which is why I have quickly press the swing stick. It's a good option but I just default to having Scout Cam off

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 07:21:33 PM »

Glad your having fun!

Peace!

Believe it or not I have played without grids and agree it looks fantastic without them.  I have no issues playing without grids in my PGA tour career mode but right now I'm still tweaking settings when it comes to difficulty.   During my career I want a win to be infrequent so it's realistic and I've found now that I've gone to master clubs it's very hard to win with the setting to easy.   I would assume when I turn the grids off I will need to change the AI players to very easy.   It seems right now with settings on easy the round winners are averaging a few strokes better than me per round which is fine because that gives me an opportunity to win at some point.  I'm definitely interested in playing without grids but I'm hoping I can make the AI easiest enough so I'm not getting blown out.

My stance on sim play is not as you might think.  I think that sometimes some of you go way overboard with it,  but to each his own they say.  I starting to find that I'm enjoying things being more realistic..  I don't want to birdie every hole or even shoot 9 under per round..  I don't mind shooting over par either and with master clubs there is a great chance of that happening.

Who is this?  C'mon...
😁 actually just wanted to give you my thoughts as they relate to the pro/master swing settings.  I can understand people liking both., depends on what you're looking for and your ability a bit too.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:27:07 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

SANCHEZCFC