Going from Pro to Master then Legend

• 6 Replies

jeffield

• GroupMember
« on: March 05, 2021, 12:42:01 PM »
So. I was playing master this morning and thought. Ok I usually play everything on the hardest setting.lets give legend a try.
    I play on pro for my ps4 society as that's the most accepted setting amongst my co-players and, I enjoy it but,  personally I find that a little too easy at times even though some really struggle with it.
   So on Master and now Legend.  It's not as impossible as you might think.  It's a tighter window for sure but once you build that muscle memory of the swing you can hit perfect on legend.  What a fun challenge it is too. So I will continue playing both settings.  Thanks HB for making something for everyone.
  Dont get me wrong I enjoy the friendly competition of our little society even if -6,-7 is a bit too commonplace and, then we have one member who shoots 80-90 range so it's a bit odd with how the difficulties effect everyone  so differently.  Again, glad there are settings for everyone to enjoy.  Looking forward to the pga2k future.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 01:47:44 PM by jeffield »
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

Martbloke

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 01:15:17 PM »
Agree.

Playing Pro is such a yawn, it's golf on rails and you just need to get distance right.

Society we play on Master which is a good middle for all and I think that should be the level online head to head for ranked play should be - of course would prefer lobbies so if those who can't master Master can select Pro or other but these shouldn't then be ranked games. Ranked leaderboards suck anyways as it's about who plays the most really rather than who the best is and what do you get for it? Nought.

Anyways, career I play Legend. The penalty when you miss tempo is what makes it fun for me. It's challenging and keeps you engrossed especially if you have got the right AI settings to keep it all close for your skill level. It is just tighter windows and for tempo it makes minimal difference between difficulties if you are consistent. So if you are great with tempo on Pro (as in virtually at 12pm each time), then you can play Legend. The swing plane being thin is also a good challenge but is a little annoying if playing with a controller that is off-centre a bit due to being used - maybe they could add in a swing plane calibration too next time to mark where centre swing is on the controller?? Mine is slightly off-centre to the right.

I feel this is really where the club attributes really come alive. It makes me choose clubs that will allow me to get around without much penalty. It also makes me think twice going for a green with a long iron or wood when it is close to water - sand doesn't make a difference in this game. In fact I aim for bunkers at times if I need a good score or am scrambling as they are so easy to get out of; there's no challenge here which is wrong IMO as they are in golf to make things difficult and you try to avoid them unlike in game.

Putting is really tricky too on Legend especially for long putts. So many times I've actually gone off-centre and it's pushed/pulled the putt so much I miss by quite a bit.

Overall I love that HB has added this punishing difficulty in - great job there.....except you can't really use it in societies with the fast exploit. It's not for competition against people you don't know, but is good for playing against those who you know 100% play it as it should be played and aim for perfect tempo to execute the shot they set up; not purposely miss-hot a shot to gain an advantage.

jeffield

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 03:08:21 PM »
Agree.

Playing Pro is such a yawn, it's golf on rails and you just need to get distance right.

Society we play on Master which is a good middle for all and I think that should be the level online head to head for ranked play should be - of course would prefer lobbies so if those who can't master Master can select Pro or other but these shouldn't then be ranked games. Ranked leaderboards suck anyways as it's about who plays the most really rather than who the best is and what do you get for it? Nought.

Anyways, career I play Legend. The penalty when you miss tempo is what makes it fun for me. It's challenging and keeps you engrossed especially if you have got the right AI settings to keep it all close for your skill level. It is just tighter windows and for tempo it makes minimal difference between difficulties if you are consistent. So if you are great with tempo on Pro (as in virtually at 12pm each time), then you can play Legend. The swing plane being thin is also a good challenge but is a little annoying if playing with a controller that is off-centre a bit due to being used - maybe they could add in a swing plane calibration too next time to mark where centre swing is on the controller?? Mine is slightly off-centre to the right.

I feel this is really where the club attributes really come alive. It makes me choose clubs that will allow me to get around without much penalty. It also makes me think twice going for a green with a long iron or wood when it is close to water - sand doesn't make a difference in this game. In fact I aim for bunkers at times if I need a good score or am scrambling as they are so easy to get out of; there's no challenge here which is wrong IMO as they are in golf to make things difficult and you try to avoid them unlike in game.

Putting is really tricky too on Legend especially for long putts. So many times I've actually gone off-centre and it's pushed/pulled the putt so much I miss by quite a bit.

Overall I love that HB has added this punishing difficulty in - great job there.....except you can't really use it in societies with the fast exploit. It's not for competition against people you don't know, but is good for playing against those who you know 100% play it as it should be played and aim for perfect tempo to execute the shot they set up; not purposely miss-hot a shot to gain an advantage.

I feel you hit the nail on the head with your thoughts about the club attributes.  If the swing itself challenges you to stay consistent the different club type (attributes)really add a layer of thought in how best to play the course.
   And agreed chipping and sand shots are glaringly too easy.  Unfortunately, considering  all that this game gets right.
Created RCR Courses: 
Links at Lighthouse Sound
nicknamed "The Pebble Beach of the East"

Links at Gettysburg
golf digest 4.5/5 stars

War Admiral at GlenRiddle
2017 top 40 places to play in Maryland

Legends- Moorland Course
#37 Toughest Course in U.S.- Golf Digest
Americas top courses '03 & '09

hammers1man

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 06:15:05 PM »
Legend is too controller dependent for me , will be a different game on how worn or sensitive your controller is. I know a lot of people don't like tempo but timing brings more skill into the game. Personally I didn't like TGC1 and only the courses kept my interest, I really like the swing mechanics of this game with master but it does need a bit of tweaking especially for chipping,pitching,splash,flop.

Oswinner

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 04:05:37 AM »
I only play legend now. 4 rounds every 4 days, in the Legend Sim Golf Tour on PS4. I’m not the best at it though tbf. But i like seeing a leaderboard without rounds in the 50s. Wish we had Legend difficulty to execute the shot with pros punishment for not doing so. That would be my happy medium.

There’s still not an outright setting I’m happy with though. Think it’s because pitches feel so punishing and splash shots don’t feel like golf.

However, I am defo playing on a difficulty too hard for me;

LEGEND SIM GOLF TOUR
Style: Legend Swing with assists off
Rounds: 64
Best Score: 69
Average Score: 76.2

TRUE SIM TOUR
Style: Master Swing with assists off
Rounds: 28
Best Score: 64
Average Score: 73.5

If I were to start a new offline career I would most likely play with pro swing and no assists to be more competitive and score more like the pros.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:46:30 AM by Oswinner »
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

Martbloke

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 01:56:14 PM »
I only play legend now. 4 rounds every 4 days, in the Legend Sim Golf Tour on PS4. I’m not the best at it though tbf. But i like seeing a leaderboard without rounds in the 50s. Wish we had Legend difficulty to execute the shot with pros punishment for not doing so. That would be my happy medium.

There’s still not an outright setting I’m happy with though. Think it’s because pitches feel so punishing and splash shots don’t feel like golf.

However, I am defo playing on a difficulty too hard for me;

LEGEND SIM GOLF TOUR
Style: Legend Swing with assists off
Rounds: 64
Best Score: 69
Average Score: 76.2

TRUE SIM TOUR
Style: Master Swing with assists off
Rounds: 28
Best Score: 64
Average Score: 73.5

If I were to start a new offline career I would most likely play with pro swing and no assists to be more competitive and score more like the pros.

"Offline career"?? Where do you find that ;-)

Nice average on Legend though. If I were to guess my average on Legend in my career, I think it would be high 70's if not low 80's. Recently I've been able to score between -1 and +3 though - smashed Pearl Mountain with 2 -5s to win the tournament with -10; that was awesome!

Oswinner

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 06:13:46 PM »
Haha true. Would be awesome if we could make our own season mode offline. Could include our own courses and stuff. A few games have done in this in past I think lol.

Good scores around Pearl Mountain. My personal best during the LSG season was a 69 around a very firm/very fast Winged Foot during the US Open. Enjoyed that one.

I should imagine a guess with Pro swing instead I’ll be shooting around 69/70 on average. Which is PGA pro standard. So pro swing is all good for me. Only problem is that online people are way better and would shoot around 60 average with it. So it all boils down to being that online I prefer to shoot 76 against their 67s rather than shoot 69 against their silly 60 averages.
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

space-cash