HANDICAP SYSTEM & ONLINE SOCIETIES

• 3 Replies

Allan5813

« on: January 20, 2021, 09:18:43 AM »
Handicap system
The Golfing Handicap
The handicap system is a great advantage of playing golf. It means players of all abilities can play and compete together on a level playing field. The handicap is an allowance of shots per round, based on a player's ability.

What is the average handicap of a PGA golfer?
+5.4
The average Tour pro has a handicap index of +5.4.

However, when trying to apply this judiciously in my online society (SWEET BRIAR GOLF SOCIETY) the results are bizarre. This mainly because a number of golfers, including myself, are playing at +10,+20,+30 or more. This means that a player with a HCap of +30 has a near impossible chance of scoring a net par. In scheduling in a few courses in my society play with HCap enabled, would give a level playing field to every player.

Can the Handicap system please be fixed to reflect realistic numbers. Also, it would be helpful if the score card was shown after every hole, so players can see what the Stroke Index is for each hole, without having to go to "options" every time.
My courses are
BABLOCKHYTHE FERRY
ROYAL WINDSOR
FRILFORD COUNTRY CLUB
RADLEY PARK
FLORENCE PARK
KINGSTON BAGPUIZE
NORTHFIELD GC
BICESTER OLD COURSE
CHERWELL VALLEY GC
DRAYTON MANOR COUNTRY CLUB
SAN FERNANDO VALLEY GC
SUTTON COURTENAY COUNTRY CLUB
ROYAL BERKSHIRE GC
SWEET BRIAR COUNTRY CLUB

Dries le Grange

• Pensioner on Golf
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 01:35:44 AM »
Hi Allan

I share your frustration but given the amount of information provided on this topic in the past by people that investigated it in detail, I had to conclude (like most of them did) that it will remain what it is for many reasons that I will not even try to explain.

My 5c for what it's worth - the most challenging fact remain that thousands of players play the same course under various conditions.  To simplify:  You and I play - You from the tips, Very firm, Very Fast, Very High.  Me from the front, no wind, moderate moderate moderate.  I shoot -14 and you -2.  Total different HCP's will be calculated for this round on this course.  Let's forget about wind directions that will have a serious impact.

Now we complicate things:  You play Augusta 10 times and I play my own design that is totally flat all around.  You play on average -5 a round and I shoot on average -16 a round.  Serious differences in HCP calculations.  The opposite is also true. Not to mention the fact that you can manipulate your HCP before an important match by playing a few poor rounds.

My best advice would be to ignore the HCP-system.  It caused more drama and frustration than any value it can add at present.  Unless someone comes up with a magic wand I can not see this EVER being done better that what HB is trying at present.  In all honesty I would rather see it being totally removed from the game.
Pensioner on Golf

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
My best advice would be to ignore the HCP-system

So true one mistake AK made when trying to bring HCP into game.

Oswinner

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 08:47:06 AM »
Handicap system was a great idea when the franchise started out. However, it never reached its true potential and now with different difficulty levels it is now redundant. If you want a handicap match now, to make an even match, between you and your 5 year old son for instance, just have him pick the easiest difficulty and you select the hardest difficulty.
LSG Tour (Legend Sim Golf Tour) - The Toughest Test of Video Golf!

space-cash